It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Rhys Patchell can be Wales' answer to All Blacks 10 Beauden 
World XV Player

Post Re: Rhys Patchell can be Wales' answer to All Blacks 10 Beauden
Rhys has really matured as a ten with Llanelli. He is growing in confidence simply because the coach has not messed him around by playing him in different positions to accommodate one trick ponies.
One wonders how such confidence would have boosted wonderfully gifted rugby players such as Henson, Hook, and Priestland. Three gifted tens making way for one trick ponies because they were talented enough to fill other roles.
Rhys Patchell can also play FB, but I do not see a coach as good as Pivac being tempted to move him around the backline.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Rhys has really matured as a ten with Llanelli. He is growing in confidence simply because the coach has not messed him around by playing him in different positions to accommodate one trick ponies.
One wonders how such confidence would have boosted wonderfully gifted rugby players such as Henson, Hook, and Priestland. Three gifted tens making way for one trick ponies because they were talented enough to fill other roles.
Rhys Patchell can also play FB, but I do not see a coach as good as Pivac being tempted to move him around the backline.

I can't pass the opportunity by to make the point of gifted ten's making way for one trick ponies (can't play anywhere else besides ten). Last Saturday Henson started at 10 and controlling the game with Dragons clearly in the ascendancy. A centre was injured so the usual happened. Henson was moved into the centre to make way for a one trick pony. Almost immediately Dragons lost their shape. It is bloody madness. I was hoping the new coach at Dragons would help lift the struggling Region, but I no longer have any faith in him having the ability to do so.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:

I can't pass the opportunity by to make the point of gifted ten's making way for one trick ponies (can't play anywhere else besides ten). Last Saturday Henson started at 10 and controlling the game with Dragons clearly in the ascendancy. A centre was injured so the usual happened. Henson was moved into the centre to make way for a one trick pony. Almost immediately Dragons lost their shape. It is bloody madness. I was hoping the new coach at Dragons would help lift the struggling Region, but I no longer have any faith in him having the ability to do so.

If your number one fly-half is on the park he must stay there, because that is why he was recruited. It is the one trick ponies who should fill the lesser roles, they must adapt or move on, because they are not the number one fly-half.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
tom21 wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
does being a successful club coach mean you will be good at international level, as in Club needs a tight head open up cheque book tight head is there ,

Not always as has been proven in Wales on a number of occasions. It is more than likely that successful club coaches will be considered for international positions though isn't it?

Being a good club coach or being a kiwi is surely the only qualification some welsh fans can use when selecting an international coach. Not every good club coach will make a good international manager. But every shit club coach is going to make a shit international coach.

Fixed bro.

Ha

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
tom21 wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
does being a successful club coach mean you will be good at international level, as in Club needs a tight head open up cheque book tight head is there ,

Not always as has been proven in Wales on a number of occasions. It is more than likely that successful club coaches will be considered for international positions though isn't it?

Being a good club coach is surely the only qualification you can use when selecting an international coach. Not every good club coach will make a good international manager. But every shit club coach is going to make a shit international coach.

In most cases I suppose, but then there are coaches with little club experience who might have worked as an assistant at international level and they might already be in the set up.

I would like to see a clean break from the current coaching set up in 2019 and some fresh faces brought in.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
tom21 wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

Being a good club coach is surely the only qualification you can use when selecting an international coach. Not every good club coach will make a good international manager. But every shit club coach is going to make a shit international coach.

In most cases I suppose, but then there are coaches with little club experience who might have worked as an assistant at international level and they might already be in the set up.

I would like to see a clean break from the current coaching set up in 2019 and some fresh faces brought in.

Sure, I guess that is the exception.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Wales could do no better than bring Sean Holley into their coaching set up.................

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

JOHNWALES wrote:
Wales could do no better than bring Sean Holley into their coaching set up.................
I wouldn't bring him in out of the rain.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:

If your number one fly-half is on the park he must stay there, because that is why he was recruited. It is the one trick ponies who should fill the lesser roles, they must adapt or move on, because they are not the number one fly-half.

Points well made :thumbup:

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

I would like to see a clean break from the current coaching set up in 2019 and some fresh faces brought in.[/quote]

Amen brother, Amen !!!!

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
I wouldn't bring him in out of the rain.

Especially with one of your old raincoats which had priors.. ;) :D

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:49 am
World XV Player

What's Patchell's defence like these days? His tackling was poor with the Blues.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:21 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pearcey3 wrote:
What's Patchell's defence like these days? His tackling was poor with the Blues.

Ulster attacked the 10/12 channel well last night, Patch wasn't very effective at stopping people

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:50 pm