It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:47 pm

What is Gatlands rugby legacy ? 
World XV Player

Post Re: What is Gatlands rugby legacy ?
Blindside wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Gatland is the most successful Lions Coach that the world of rugby has ever seen.

Winning one series and drawing another is outstanding.

The End.

With about 40,000 posts you are one of the most prolific posters this forum has ever had, does that make you a great poster and an asset to our dwindling community or one of the reasons the community is dwindling?

That's a devious bit of propaganda.

Congratulations.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:57 am
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Bouch wrote:
Gatland is the most successful Lions Coach that the world of rugby has ever seen.

The End.

Aye ... so Sam Warburton is the Greatest ever Lions captain and Howley is the greatest ever attack coach then. No debate. :D

You are saying that Warburton is a better captain than Willie John Mcbride? I'm certainly not.

You are saying that Howley is the greatest ever attack coach when the coaches switched to The English Pattern?

Er, tell you what - engage the old gray matter sometime, Blind.

Twisting my words and then calling your version mine is soooo primary school. 1/10.

:D

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Bouch wrote:

The End.

Aye ... so Sam Warburton is the Greatest ever Lions captain and Howley is the greatest ever attack coach then. No debate. :D

You are saying that Warburton is a better captain than Willie John Mcbride? I'm certainly not.

You are saying that Howley is the greatest ever attack coach when the coaches switched to The English Pattern?

Er, tell you what - engage the old gray matter sometime, Blind.

Twisting my words and then calling your version mine is soooo primary school. 1/10.

:D

Not twisting your words at all you said Gatland is the most successful Lions coach the world has ever seen "THE END"....... so there is no room for debate it proven in your view (hence THE END) so... if its proven for him why not others involved in the two tours :?: :?:

As i also point out your drivel is clogging up the forum, in my view.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ah.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 am
World XV Player

Gatland being the most successful lions coach, does not make him the best.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:

His teams have played the two strongest sides in the SH, Jim.

;)

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Bouch wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

His teams have played the two strongest sides in the SH, Jim.

;)

Although Australia atm are ranked higher than South Africa, judging by this year's Summer tours I think it'll be the other way round soon. Having said that, being able to draw rather than lose a series in New Zealand is still serious credit.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Lions aren't playing Australia for a while, Brit.

Times change and the power of the SH changes as well.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm
World XV Player

Carwyn achieved it with no resources or preparation, and beat them at home 3 months later with his club side.

Carwyn was a true visionary, Gatland is not the same universe, let alone planet.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:48 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Carwyn achieved it with no resources or preparation, and beat them at home 3 months later with his club side.

Carwyn was a true visionary, Gatland is not the same universe, let alone planet.

Carwyn the best Coach Wales never had.

Has been debated here recently ......

A man that with honoured principles.

A Great Coach in my book and I czn't think of Gatland in the same light.

That is just a firm personal opinion.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 pm
World XV Player

Carwyn was never allowed the power that the WRU have freely given to Head Coach Warren Gatland.

Quite why the WRU refused to give Carwyn the job that he fully deserved is open to debate.

AFAIK nobody's given details of the reasons for not trusting Carwyn but it's a bloody insult to his memory.

Warren Gatland is here for another 2 years, let's hope he continues to be successful.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:01 pm
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
I was listening to a programme on Sky when a top play said that Warren Gatland was undoubtedly one of the best coaches in the world. I know our NZ friends on the forum would disagree and i think i would have to as well, however many people would say that the man has had great success in club rugby with WASPS, been successful at international level with Wales and coached the Lions twice. It must put him right up there. It could certainly be argued that his grand slams kept the punter interested in Welsh rugby and sold out the Millenium Stadium, which was ultimately the cash cow for Welsh rugby in terms of revenue and sponsorship.

But this is not the point of my question, my question is, what is his legacy to rugby, the game itself. Sean Edwards has a legacy in that he brought the blitz defence to rugby union, it changed the game not only in terms of defence but in terms of attack, as sides worked out systems to counter it.

Was it Graham Henry who developed the Pod System :dontknow: Did this, in turn, lead to somebody at the Crusaders coming up off the 2 4 2 system of forwards in attack, while another coach developed the 1 3 3 1 formation. All systems of play that put pressure on forwards to be able to play like backs enabling sides to play a wider game more fluently and with support.

Gatland, however, is credited with Gatland Ball a simplistic approach to the game where you kick long and when you "play" you work from left to right across the field or indeed right to left, smashing up with strong direct runners after one or possibly two passes and then back again, earning the right to eventually go wide, once the opposition were bludgeoned into conceding clear overlaps. In amongst this was the mercurial talents of Shane Williams who provided a distraction and entertainment. It worked it had success (in the NH) and it was pretty much accepted as the only way to play.... you earned the right to wide.

This was adopted in Wales at all levels, i went to see the Ospreys academies play at under 16 and 18, it was their style of play, big players were selected over skilful players, senior players miraculously became bigger and bigger as if weight training and protein had only just been invented. It was simple, it was direct and although it was predictable Gatland said it was still potentially unstoppable! I recently heard Ryan Jones say that after losing the first half in France, Gatland turned to the squad at half time and said we are now going to plan "B", they all looked round bemused as there was no plan "B", WG then said plan B is we are going to do plan A far better in the second half. Its probably an after dinner story but it seems to illustrate the point.

So what is his legacy, will anything he has done survive and evolve, as the game got better due to his coaching influence?

It appears to me that playing "Warren Ball", coaches thought their players only needed to understand the basic fundamentals of the game which was simplistic and basic and needed limited skill or understanding. Why train as a doctor if you only want a job stacking shelves (kind of thing). What we all forgot in Welsh rugby is, a doctor can stack shelves, but a shelf stacker cant be a doctor.

So what will his legacy to rugby be, what has WG done that has moved the game forward, what has he done that as left its mark, in the way Carwyn James and others truly influential coaches are said to have, will people talk about WG as a visionary a pioneer?

Haven't been here for a while but a good post to start me off again, but I think there are more questions than answers in your post.
Gatland, a great coach, No, a good coach, I cant see how any of us can answer that honestly as none of us have been privy to the workings going on in the Welsh squad, that may enlighten us.
I believe that we have had a very good group of players in the last 10 or so years did gatland bring the best out of these players? if you look at what Llanelli has done last season with S Williams and J Davies and the answer is NO, there has been an outcry not just on this forum, but the press to about the way in which we have played the game a more open expansive one has been called for but seemed to fall on deaf ears.
Only now when the welsh coaches were under so much pressure to do so have they started looking at other options, the cry its the only way we can play is ballux, again look at Llanelli.
you ask if Gats was/is a visionary, how can playing one way even tho his way in the end was being countered be anything but bloody minded, My way or no other way.
Good post BS, ;)

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 pm
Site Admin

His Legacy, he took the rugby out of rugby.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

In my opinion Gatland will be the best coach NEW ZEALAND have ever had. HIs tactics and game plans are more suited to bulk than skill. If the W R U are adamant that they do not want a Welshman as coach, then the most obvious replacement would be Wayne Pivac.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
My way or no other way.

Didn't the Lions change tactics and use a few more attacking moves towards the end of the tour?

That's the Gatland Way - "Whatever Works the best".

Being inflexible? Nah. Just making the best of the talent available.

We miss Shane Williams.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 am