It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:24 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Merthyr..... 
Author Message
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: Ayres Rock
Post Merthyr.....
So, tonight, after RGC play Glynneath, I have the pleasure of spending the evening in Merthyr. Where's hot for an old fat man to drink?

_________________
On top rugby in North Wales "like the Aussies setting up a new team at Ayers Rock" Mike Cuddy 11/12/02
Image


Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:56 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11929
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Merthyr.....
MajorMellons wrote:
So, tonight, after RGC play Glynneath, I have the pleasure of spending the evening in Merthyr. Where's hot for an old fat man to drink?



Labour club not to young and a there used to be a bit o hot totty there for old and fat people :) .... bit of a wasted journey i understand, i saw the RGC bus at Glynneath, then heard it was off

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:39 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: Ayres Rock
Post Re: Merthyr.....
Blindside wrote:
MajorMellons wrote:
So, tonight, after RGC play Glynneath, I have the pleasure of spending the evening in Merthyr. Where's hot for an old fat man to drink?

bit of a wasted journey i understand, i saw the RGC bus at Glynneath, then heard it was off


Sadly, it's happened too many time to RGC this season.

That meant though, I managed to avoid an evening in Merthyr. :thumbright:
I decided to travel back on the coach and not risk being stranded in Merthyr if the RGC U16's v Ospreys(@Banwen) were to be called off tomorrow.
I'll travel back down on the coach again in the morning....18hrs on a coach over a couple of days....I must be mad.

_________________
On top rugby in North Wales "like the Aussies setting up a new team at Ayers Rock" Mike Cuddy 11/12/02
Image


Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:06 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11929
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Merthyr.....
MajorMellons wrote:
Blindside wrote:
MajorMellons wrote:
So, tonight, after RGC play Glynneath, I have the pleasure of spending the evening in Merthyr. Where's hot for an old fat man to drink?

bit of a wasted journey i understand, i saw the RGC bus at Glynneath, then heard it was off


Sadly, it's happened too many time to RGC this season.

That meant though, I managed to avoid an evening in Merthyr. :thumbright:
I decided to travel back on the coach and not risk being stranded in Merthyr if the RGC U16's v Ospreys(@Banwen) were to be called off tomorrow.
I'll travel back down on the coach again in the morning....18hrs on a coach over a couple of days....I must be mad.



I bet they will play that .... Banwen field is well drained. Its 7 miles from Glynneath at the head of the neighboring valley, born and bred there (glad to get out though :) ) Wrap up warm its a cold windy hole and the clubs not much warmer. I may come and watch that.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45415
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Merthyr.....
Image


If the weather improves, you'll get a welcome in Banwen, Major. They're a good club.

If the game is on, take arctic gear, Goretex and Duck Down will be the order of the day.


Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:24 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:54 pm
Posts: 4799
Location: Merthyr Tydfil
Post Re: Merthyr.....
You missed a treat


Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:30 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:54 pm
Posts: 22870
Location: Cayman Islands
Post Re: Merthyr.....
MajorMellons wrote:
I have the pleasure of spending the evening in Merthyr. Where's hot for an old fat man to drink?


Cardiff

_________________
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so *fupping* what?' —Stephen Fry

"You like PhillBB demand facts for debate........My premise needs no facts to debate it" - Rosario on "how to look like an idiot"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitcomberd/


Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:47 am
Profile WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:31 pm
Posts: 9779
Post Re: Merthyr.....
String wrote:
MajorMellons wrote:
I have the pleasure of spending the evening in Merthyr. Where's hot for an old fat man to drink?


Cardiff

:D


Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 100
Post Re: Merthyr.....
Blindside wrote:
I bet they will play that .... Banwen field is well drained. Its 7 miles from Glynneath at the head of the neighboring valley, born and bred there (glad to get out though :) ) Wrap up warm its a cold windy hole and the clubs not much warmer. I may come and watch that.


I loved playing at Banwen. The team used to have such great spirit and amazing characters! And a very successful few years at the end of my rugby days.

Damn. . . I'm thinking of those days and seriously thinking about lacing up my boots again!!! :occasion5:


Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:47 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11929
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Merthyr.....
Banwenboy wrote:
Blindside wrote:
I bet they will play that .... Banwen field is well drained. Its 7 miles from Glynneath at the head of the neighboring valley, born and bred there (glad to get out though :) ) Wrap up warm its a cold windy hole and the clubs not much warmer. I may come and watch that.


I loved playing at Banwen. The team used to have such great spirit and amazing characters! And a very successful few years at the end of my rugby days.

Damn. . . I'm thinking of those days and seriously thinking about lacing up my boots again!!! :occasion5:



Should imagine the money was nice too .... or was you one of the locals :)

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 100
Post Re: Merthyr.....
Blindside wrote:


Should imagine the money was nice too .... or was you one of the locals :)


Nope, I wasn't a local. But, hand on heart, I never took any money out of the club. I've heard rumours from many outside the club but certainly none of the main players were aware of people being paid- except the coaches!
This may or may not be the case. But every player that came to the club had ties to the club.
e.g. the twins knew and worked with the brothers;
Moari came with the twins';
Big Jase came with Slarkey;
And so on.

No "rank outsiders" ever came to the club. So, I can believe it was just a "perfect storm" of circumstances to get the right players there!
Oh, and the pack were strong for a few seasons before the "better backs" came to Banwen for an armchair ride behind a dominant pack.


Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: