It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Concussion 
World XV Player

Post Concussion
I am a bit confused by all of this head injury stuff about rugby as yes there have been fatalities in rugby and it is a full contact sport and you are prone to injury. However, I would like to know what these people think about boxing, MMA, karate, kickboxing and any other sport that involves hitting someone in the face repeatedly so they dont know what fekking year it is let alone what their name is!!

I am sure there have been fatalities, severe injuries and life changing injuries to people who participate in these sports yet we see no reporting of head injuries or an ex-participant making a film for the BBC. Call me *fupping* crazy, but isnt it very hypocritical of these people to ignore these sports that are clearly more capable of producing people with brain injuries?

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:32 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Concussion
Treforest Gump wrote:
I am a bit confused by all of this head injury stuff about rugby as yes there have been fatalities in rugby and it is a full contact sport and you are prone to injury. However, I would like to know what these people think about boxing, MMA, karate, kickboxing and any other sport that involves hitting someone in the face repeatedly so they dont know what fekking year it is let alone what their name is!!

I am sure there have been fatalities, severe injuries and life changing injuries to people who participate in these sports yet we see no reporting of head injuries or an ex-participant making a film for the BBC. Call me *fupping* crazy, but isnt it very hypocritical of these people to ignore these sports that are clearly more capable of producing people with brain injuries?

I'm pretty sure that the GMC has been trying to ban boxing for years

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the GMC has been trying to ban boxing for years

That might be the BMA as well

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There's a Panorama programme on 8.30pm tonight on this subject ; Rugby and the brain-tacking the truth

Rugby's top medic calls for rule change to make game safer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34249189

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34311525

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Development in concussion treatment process for soccer millionaires

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34906188

Quote:
The Football Association has issued new guidelines to all involved with the game on how to deal with concussions.

They provide information on symptoms, and how quickly a player should return.

Broadly speaking, an adult should sit out at least a week and only return when signed off by a doctor, and under-18s should rest for at least two weeks.

"They are a fantastic development and hopefully have the potential to impact on sport in England as a whole," head injury expert Dr Willie Stewart said.

The safety-first guidelines, developed by an expert panel set up in April, were prompted by rising fears over head injuries across all sports.

"The guidelines clearly demonstrate the FA's strong leadership around this issue and provide clear information on the immediate management of the injury around the simple principle of 'if in doubt, sit them out'," Stewart added.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More information :-

Footballers who sustain a suspected concussion, either during training or in a game, should immediately be removed from the pitch and not allowed to return until the appropriate treatment has been administered.

That is the message at the heart of new guidelines launched by The FA for managing head injuries at all levels of the game.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/my-football/2015/nov/fa-concussion-guidelines-if-in-doubt-sit-them-out#SRkQlm27Q2CXcCKL.99

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:57 pm
World XV Player

Quote:
A 23-year-old rugby player with a history of concussions has died after suffering a head injury during a match.
Lily Partridge was injured on Sunday at North Tawton's ground in Devon and collapsed on the side of the pitch.

Her life-support machine was switched off in hospital in Exeter on Monday night, her family confirmed.

Her club said she had suffered a couple of concussions previously but had taken out the recommended time from playing and seen a doctor.

"She took a month off and was symptom-free before she returned to playing," said Katie Lunnon, captain of the Topsham-based Exonian Ladies team.

The RFU is investigating the circumstances of the injury.

Lily had played for Exonian Ladies for about 18 months and had become social secretary of the club.

Her parents Jeff and Liz, from Exeter, said: "No-one ever had a bad word to say about Lily. She was the glue that stuck everyone together.

"She was stubborn and would say, 'I can do this and I can do that'. She was her own person and that is what we loved about her.

"She broke down barriers. She was a brilliant star in our lives for 23 years."

Lily worked at Shaldon Zoo and was a part-time teacher in Exeter.

Her organs have been donated to help other people, her family said.

"Hopefully one, two, three or more people will have a better quality of life thanks to Lily," they said.

Topsham Rugby Club called Lily a "talented, vivacious and universally-loved founding member of Exonian Ladies rugby team", and said that "all of us who knew her are utterly heartbroken".

In October 2014 a 23-year-old female rugby player died from brain injuries a month after she was injured in a tackle in a match.

Sarah Chesters, a full-back with Longton RFC, walked off the pitch and declined medical treatment. But a month on she felt sick and dizzy and died in hospital a week later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35040216

Shane Williams

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:

Karate whilst being classed as a contact sport is all about control, kicks/ punches to the head must not draw blood and must be controlled, it's more about showing what you could do rather that actually doing it, if that makes any sense?

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:19 pm
World XV Player

The wave of parents not allowing their kids to play American Football is growing by the day, led mainly by ex players.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:44 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

Karate whilst being classed as a contact sport is all about control, kicks/ punches to the head must not draw blood and must be controlled, it's more about showing what you could do rather that actually doing it, if that makes any sense?

I am of Higashi Karate Kai and learned under Sensai Pete Spanton a long time ago and I am sure that I am unworthy of being remembered. That being said Karate taught me how to avoid conflict.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:34 pm
Profile E-mail