It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 8:10 am

Is there too much money in some sports ? 
World XV Player

Post Is there too much money in some sports ?
While things are quiet on the rugby front, perhaps time to debate some other matters. Have we reached a point where there is too much money being poured in to some sports ? Rugby since turning pro, continues to grow year on year. What was big money a short time ago, is now peanuts. Pro teams are requiring more and more money to remain competitive, and some have simply no hope of being realistically competitive, and are more occupied with survival. Look around Europe, and the financial playing field is about as level as the Alps. There are varying degrees of attempts to curb the money being poured in, in the shape of the so called salary cap.How effective they are at stemming the tide, is certainly questionable. Look no further than the current debacle within the English game, as they attempt to grapple with the problem. Millionaires are no longer the big noise, as we now have billionaires in the game too, as Bristol have the benefit of. Closer to home, and on a much smaller scale, we now have a local millionaire investing in Merthyr.Can all this actually be sustained, or are we reaching a tipping point in some parts where it's not possible to keep up. Perhaps here in Wales, that is the case already for some ? As for the amteur game,let's not go there.
Looking at other sports such as football, and the dysfunctional FIFA, have brought to light some horrors of alleged abuse with big money. The Premier league in this country now is adorned with some incredibly wealthy backers, who pour money in at an astounding rate.Realistically, only a handful of teams can compete at the highest level, the rest just make up the numbers. Is rugby following this path ? To conclude I turn to another sport adorned by huge amounts of money, that is the world of F1. Again, only a few teams at the top can compete. This to the point where it has become a complete bore, with last two Grand Prix being hardly worthy of bothering with. So, that's my little rant, which may provoke some debate. It's pro sport, it's hard business and it's money. But, is it too much money ?

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Is there too much money in some sports ?
It depends how long access is controlled.

Over here, there is no such things as free TV. So everyone pays from $100-$400 per month for either cable, Direct TV or similar.

The NFL get over $4-5 billion a year from the networks alone, ..the salary cap per team is $120million or $3.6bn.

Add in average attendance of 75,000 per game times 16 per week times 16 weeks plus play offs...

To me it seems as long as the access is effectively controlled and limited, this situation will not change. If Apple or Google changes this well then...

When in banking, we financed the film with the first $15mm actor fee, and that was in 1994... ;)

Demand will drive it, and that film grossed over $350mm and cost $66mm to make. :D

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:14 pm
World XV Player

It seems to that game is not a sporting contest but just a money raising competition. This is now even reaching down to the 3rd level of rugby in Wales.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The obvious answer is yes, but it isnt obvious to a lot of people!

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:29 pm
World XV Player

Flawed - no poll.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 am
World XV Player

dont know how this could work but if the regions and the clubs had to pick a large percentage players that came from the area they represent rather than where they can get the most money this might level the feild a bit.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
dont know how this could work but if the regions and the clubs had to pick a large percentage players that came from the area they represent rather than where they can get the most money this might level the feild a bit.

What field would this level?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

Over here, there is no such things as free TV. So everyone pays from $100-$400 per month for either cable, Direct TV or similar.

The NFL get over $4-5 billion a year from the networks alone, ..the salary cap per team is $120million or $3.6bn.

Add in average attendance of 75,000 per game times 16 per week times 16 weeks plus play offs...

To me it seems as long as the access is effectively controlled and limited, this situation will not change. If Apple or Google changes this well then...

When in banking, we financed the film with the first $15mm actor fee, and that was in 1994... ;)

Demand will drive it, and that film grossed over $350mm and cost $66mm to make. :D

Interesting that you mention the NFL. A sport adorned by huge money, but with a well policed and efficient salary cap control. And yet despite that strictly enforced salary cap, the game continues to grow and make bigger profits. Is part of the appeal, that the financial playing field is level, and that translates to teams that are far more equal on the field ? That in turn gives every team a realistic prospect of success. Over the past 30 years 27 of the NFL’s 32 teams have played in the Super Bowl (the league’s final) at least once. There is genuine unpredictability about results each week, which keeps fans interested. Compare that to what we have in some of our cash rich sports here, where there is little or no regulatory body effectively controlling salary caps. The same small pool of teams/clubs having a realistic chance of the top honours year on year. There have been attempts to control matters, but I have little faith in their effectiveness. As rugby slowly follows the football financial model, perhaps some lessons could be learned from the NFL...?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Interesting that you mention the NFL. A sport adorned by huge money, but with a well policed and efficient salary cap control. And yet despite that strictly enforced salary cap, the game continues to grow and make bigger profits. Is part of the appeal, that the financial playing field is level, and that translates to teams that are far more equal on the field ? That in turn gives every team a realistic prospect of success. Over the past 30 years 27 of the NFL’s 32 teams have played in the Super Bowl (the league’s final) at least once. There is genuine unpredictability about results each week, which keeps fans interested. Compare that to what we have in some of our cash rich sports here, where there is little or no regulatory body effectively controlling salary caps. The same small pool of teams/clubs having a realistic chance of the top honours year on year. There have been attempts to control matters, but I have little faith in their effectiveness. As rugby slowly follows the football financial model, perhaps some lessons could be learned from the NFL...?

It is set up this way so that there is year on year change and "Any Given Sunday" is about right. Green Bay has the same chance as winning as New York. Short season too, 16 games and then the play offs, so every game really counts.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:55 pm
World XV Player

GN100 wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

The field where the team it is more important to money streams than local talent, it would be nice to think that an area that the best players come from won things.rather than the place with the most money buys trophies.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
GN100 wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

The field where the team it is more important to money streams than local talent, it would be nice to think that an area that the best players come from won things.rather than the place with the most money buys trophies.

Aww jim mun that is a long lost virtue, the players now go where the money is mun tis the way of the modern world.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:14 pm
World XV Player

Very few people actually consider what it is they are supporting.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

So all is lost then it is no longer a sporting contest it is just who has the fattest wallet then , just saying that bringing in homegrown quotas would take the money out of it a bit , would that be so wrong.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
So all is lost then it is no longer a sporting contest it is just who has the fattest wallet then , just saying that bringing in homegrown quotas would take the money out of it a bit , would that be so wrong.

:thefinger: ive over, I'm not falling for this.

You are joking aren't you?

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I am not saying it is going to happen , but it would take the sting out of the richboy toys clubs

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:33 am
Profile E-mail