It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Playing prop for the first time... My boy 
Site Admin

Post Re: Playing prop for the first time... My boy
WRXSmurf wrote:
As I said before, he's pretty slow. And he doesn't play against guys who would be knocked over by Logan's handsome smile.
Give the boy some time, he looks like speed will develop.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I had the same build when I was that age - I'm starting to lose hope my speed will develop :D

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:04 pm
International Player

WRXSmurf wrote:
As I said before, he's pretty slow. And he doesn't play against guys who would be knocked over by Logan's handsome smile.

Show him some footage of a genuine legend from down my way - Brian Williams who played prop for Neath and Wales. Skinny and in no way typical build for a loose head but strong as an ox and hard as nails :D

Lots of players migrate from front row as they develop but its a great place to learn and harden up - not that I would know never got near the pack other than putting the ball in the scrum :D

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It seems he's enjoying playing prop now (back at loosehead), and watching him, he's not bad :D
He's also apparently better than the tighthead at lifting in the lineouts...
This was a Pretoria Central school they played, beat them 27 - 7. And that 7 was an intercept :D

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:39 pm
World XV Player

How about a picture of SBW for the lad?

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:21 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

WRXSmurf wrote:
It seems he's enjoying playing prop now (back at loosehead), and watching him, he's not bad :D
He's also apparently better than the tighthead at lifting in the lineouts...
This was a Pretoria Central school they played, beat them 27 - 7. And that 7 was an intercept :D

He's 11 isn't he?
What age do they start lineouts in UK? I thought that it was older than that and
no lifting? When do they start 15 a side too?

Seems a significant difference /N Hemp or just this Old Cadger getting out of touch but recently followed my Grandson through the ranks ...

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:59 pm
World XV Player

Turning 11 in June, but even last year they were lifting in the lineouts. Scrums were gentle though; pushed a little then ref would stop them. This year it's full on.

No idea about the uk setups.

My boy told me the jumper was lifting his heels when jumping during practice, hitting my lad in the nuts. Told the guy to stop, but he didn't so Logan started dropping him - said the guy learned pretty quick and no problems now :D

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:11 pm
World XV Player

WRXSmurf wrote:
Turning 11 in June, but even last year they were lifting in the lineouts. Scrums were gentle though; pushed a little then ref would stop them. This year it's full on.

Size of teams 15 yet or less?

Really this is a surprise given the physical capability of that age set, it is significantly difference in N Hemp?

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:16 pm
World XV Player

15 a side, contestable scrums, lifting in the lineouts all done at U/11.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 pm
Site Admin

Hopefully this will help, these are the laws that are SUPPOSED to be adhered to.

South Africa
Scrum
primary school laws are 8 man, #8 moves allowed, contested, , no wheeling and no more than 1.5m travel

U12 laws are
1. First category (Under-9 and younger): The scrum engagement will be passive engagement with no contest.

2. Second category (U11s to U16s, including provincial school age-group rugby): Engagement will also be passive, meaning there is no hit, but full scrum contest will be allowed until the scrum has moved 1.5 metres.

3. Third category (U18, including provincial school age-group rugby, to the second highest tier club rugby): Props will pre-bind with a reduced hit on engagement. At schools level, the 1.5m rule applies, but above that, the scrum will be fully contestable.

Lineout
primary school laws are no lifting.
U12 laws are lifting allowed.

new zealand u11
12 a side

Scrums:
8 players, no contesting or pushing. Opposition backlines back 5m from hindmost foot of scrum; halfback must start at the tunnel of scrum and cannot move forward of the tunnel. Once ball has entered the scrum, the halfback
moves back to the No.8’s feet and can stand anywhere along the off side line (No.8’s feet)

Lineouts:
Can be contested, lines 1m apart - No lifting. Backlines back 10m

Australia U11
12 a side contested scrums are contested, no wheeling and no more than 1m travel, no #8 moves allowed
lineouts are 5 players no lifting no supporting. backlines back 10m

Welsh pathway laws
U11

12 players on the field
Scrum - passive, no pushing no wheeling, only the scrum half can pick the ball up (no number 8 moves from the back)
Linout 4 man uncontested, no catch and drive, no lifting/supporting

U12
15 Players max on the field
Scrum 0.5m push (single step) no wheeling, number 8 moves allowed
Lineout Full lineout, uncontested, no lifting/supporting

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
Hopefully this will help, these are the laws that are SUPPOSED to be adhered to.

South Africa
Scrum
primary school laws are 8 man, #8 moves allowed, contested, , no wheeling and no more than 1.5m travel

U12 laws are
1. First category (Under-9 and younger): The scrum engagement will be passive engagement with no contest.

2. Second category (U11s to U16s, including provincial school age-group rugby): Engagement will also be passive, meaning there is no hit, but full scrum contest will be allowed until the scrum has moved 1.5 metres.

3. Third category (U18, including provincial school age-group rugby, to the second highest tier club rugby): Props will pre-bind with a reduced hit on engagement. At schools level, the 1.5m rule applies, but above that, the scrum will be fully contestable.

Lineout
primary school laws are no lifting.
U12 laws are lifting allowed.

new zealand u11
12 a side

Scrums:
8 players, no contesting or pushing. Opposition backlines back 5m from hindmost foot of scrum; halfback must start at the tunnel of scrum and cannot move forward of the tunnel. Once ball has entered the scrum, the halfback
moves back to the No.8’s feet and can stand anywhere along the off side line (No.8’s feet)

Lineouts:
Can be contested, lines 1m apart - No lifting. Backlines back 10m

Australia U11
12 a side contested scrums are contested, no wheeling and no more than 1m travel, no #8 moves allowed
lineouts are 5 players no lifting no supporting. backlines back 10m

Welsh pathway laws
U11

12 players on the field
Scrum - passive, no pushing no wheeling, only the scrum half can pick the ball up (no number 8 moves from the back)
Linout 4 man uncontested, no catch and drive, no lifting/supporting

U12
15 Players max on the field
Scrum 0.5m push (single step) no wheeling, number 8 moves allowed
Lineout Full lineout, uncontested, no lifting/supporting

Thks Chris!

Vive le IRB eh?

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:43 pm
World XV Player

WRXSmurf wrote:
I had the same build when I was that age - I'm starting to lose hope my speed will develop :D

:twisted:

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:51 pm
World XV Player

So they played again today, but sadly lost 3 - 0. Methinks they need to work on their fitness, running straight and passing to the either the centre or wing who usually was unmarked :angry4: !

The kid my son was propping against looked a toughie, but no lies Logan walked him backwards every scrum :D
And flipping hell, the boy absolutely LOVES tackling; got shat on a bit of a stiff arm that left a kid dizzy. The kiwi lads here would have loved it because it was chest high, but no arms means it's illegal and I'll have to have a word with him :D

Still sometimes runs around like a headless chicken though, maybe that's why he was taken off with around 8 minutes to go - Because it sure as hell wasn't because of his scrumming; we lost every scrum after he went off :scratch:

Anyway, things got heated because our school's headmaster went down and used rather strong language to a guy who seemed to be the sports head of the other school; said the ref would never ref again - I must admit, the ref (from the other school) was shocking but what can you do? We lost.

Some pics... (no sir, we never lifted in the lineout :twisted: )
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:01 pm
World XV Player

One guy I know - top club centre, school P.E. master - was always harder on his school team than the opposition, Smurf.

From what you say, your bloke was exactly the opposite - a bad egg.

:angry4:

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:28 pm