It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 am

Any news on getting rid of the scrum and 
World XV Player

Post Re: Any news on getting rid of the scrum and
Fair to say too ............ that I expect within my lifetime that there will be only one pro code and .................. the game will have gone full circle.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Sleeper wrote:
Justic wrote:
:D What a sensitive lot you Welshies are. He didn't drop a hand grenade, he just mentioned rugby league.

By the way league has a big following in NZ. It is quite common to be a league and union supporter down this way. ;)

Its the same here too! Its only the *fupp* wits who decry RU for a non existent yet perceived class system or its supposed lack of flair or those who ridicule RL because of its at times begrudgingly superior handling and better support play keep threads such as this going.

I guess I'm lucky, as well as being a handsome *Bar steward* I'm able to appreciate both codes.

You lack confidence Sleeps, suggest you see a psychologist :twisted: :D

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:58 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
Sleeper wrote:
Justic wrote:
:D What a sensitive lot you Welshies are. He didn't drop a hand grenade, he just mentioned rugby league.

By the way league has a big following in NZ. It is quite common to be a league and union supporter down this way. ;)

Its the same here too! Its only the *fupp* wits who decry RU for a non existent yet perceived class system or its supposed lack of flair or those who ridicule RL because of its at times begrudgingly superior handling and better support play keep threads such as this going.

I guess I'm lucky, as well as being a handsome *Bar steward* I'm able to appreciate both codes.

You lack confidence Sleeps, suggest you see a psychologist :twisted: :D

:D

They gotta be telt.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

NewSouthWales wrote:
neroeambra wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
Stop calling RL names you ignoramus.

Millions watching club RU? You can't include "internationals". The vast majority of those who go to 6 "nations" aren't rugby supporters. That would be like calling most who get married in church, Christians.

The vast majority of those who go to internationals aren't rugby supporters? Are you sure? How are you a "real" fan and they are not? Is your money more valuable than theirs? No? Didn't think so. Rugby League would love to be able to pack the grounds around the World - then they might have a sport that is popular in more than just one country, a sport that isn't dying on its ass everywhere except Australia.

*fupp* off you demented *prk*, and don't come back - we only like "real" board members here :thefinger: .

Oh dear me, obviously it's nothing to do wiv munee, where do the ppl go who watch "internationals"?

Also, more youngsters playing RL in France now than for decades, a few London born ppl playing pro-RL now, that's never happened before, and RL is quite popular in North of England, quite a few ppl live there. Yorkshire has a pop. of 5.2 million, almost double of Wales, also when I type wales in it doesn't automatically become a capital W, whereas the Y does when I type in Yorkshire. is Yorkshire more of a country than wales?

RL, not doing too badly in NZ either, PNG is developing, 6 million live in PNG. Quite a few P Islanders playing in the NRL, Q Cup and NSW Cup too.

1,000 at the game involving the franchise from London last weekend, the biggest City in Europe - the only Professional RL Team in the Northern Hemisphere outside Perpignan and the M62.

How is RL development progressing in Scotland, Ireland and Wales?

No one refers to Carwyn as Mr C James.

Just saving a little time when writing.

In response to Carms lad, RL usually has more TV viewers on satellite TV than RU. It seems difficult to get hold of these figures, it was quoted that 65,000 watched Worcester against someone in February this yr on BT, and 350,000 watched Wigan v Huddersfield during the same period granted on Sky. But RL usually had more viewers even more than most European Cup matches, a few yrs ago in the quarter-finals of the E Cup, Clermont v Saracens had about 170,000 TV viewers, and Leinster v Cardiff even less. And didn't Saracens have 80,000 plus at Wembley recently, where were they yesterday in the European Cup semi-final?

Also, as you might have guessed I watch RU; and I would not be against RL experimenting in bringing back a continuous live rucks and the lines-out. But obviously stick with 13 players, and be able to call a ''mark'' anywhere inside ones own half, have 7m in-goal areas, get rid of scrums completely, instead have a 7 v 7 play when in oppositions half, a free-kick inside own half.

Bearing in mind you are on a Welsh Rugby forum - What crowds will the Wales RL team get for their games in 2014?

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

CarmarthenLad wrote:
Justic wrote:

No Justic, he came back with his genius ideas to improve Union. Get rid of the scrum, lineout, two players etc etc. Usual bullshit that he always spouts.

When presented with the reality of the situation - that RL is dying on its ass as a pro game in the NH - he tries to show that it isn't with made up TV viewing figures. The reality is that RL in the NH is in desperate straights and, without a huge injection of cash and a miraculous upturn in public interest, it will be an amateur sport up here in a decade or so on the same level as underwater hockey and extreme ironing.

No, I didn't say get rid of the line-out. As for going to 14 or 13-a-side, a RU person in England said it should be discussed on the public broadcaster's site a few months ago. Regarding the scrum-half having a problem in getting the ball away at the base of a scrum saw an instance yesterday, I bet most would blame the halfback, but IMO it was more to do with the Nr 8, anyway it's too easy to slap at the arm of the scrum-half at the base of the scrum a lot of the time, that takes no skill, it should be banned, and the refs have a problem with the scrums, have scrums run their course? In my opinion yes.

I remember saying in 2001 that RL could become semi-pro within 15 yrs in the NH. And of course Frank Keating said in 2001 that it would be dead within 5 yrs. There's a Sky deal in place until 2021, so obviously that's 7 more yrs of full-time RL in the NH. I wouldn't mind Leeds, Wigan etc. becoming semi-professional; instead have an European team in the NRL, maybe call them the Europe Cavaliers.

Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail