It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:43 am

Any news on getting rid of the scrum and 
World XV Player

Post Re: Any news on getting rid of the scrum and
I've often thought of getting rid of my favoured positions (flank or 8th man) to open up space on the field but that would be a bloody hard pill to swallow.

But regarding scrums; I want contested scrums, to me it's an integral part of RU. So in that case it's utterly pointless to advocate the removal of contestation as a solution. You want that, just go watch RL.

But yeah, they need to sort them out.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 pm
Schools District Player

NewSouthWales wrote:
Why have you resorted to personal insults? Not very funny. I've heard Welsh ppl complain about the way RU is played nowadays, and with the exp. law variations there have obviously bn many talks about changing some laws. I heard H Llywelyn Davies say he was in favour of the ELV's.

If you had un-contested 6 person scrums, which only took place in the oppositions half, 13-a-side as I've said, say then a 65 metre wide pitch to compensate slightly for the reduction in playing numbers, this would help Welsh rugby immeasurably, I'm sure Cardiff would be going far better today than what they are, RU as it is does not suit the Welsh psyche, I'm 100% sure that C James would be in favour of changes to the laws. Also interchanges, 8 of them, instead of replacements, to stop what happened at Quins, and also so we don't see the ridiculous situation of loads of players coming on towards the end of a match.

The prospect of taking 5 minute to complete a scrum is still more attractive than the cwtch and a cuddle they have in the game they play on the M62, Eastern Australia and Hemel Hempstead.

"RU as it is does not suit the Welsh psyche"- really, it suits the Welsh psyche infinitely more than RL which in the shape of the South Wales Scorpions is going to fail in Wales for the 30th time.

Who is C James of whose opinion you are 100% sure?

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

NewSouthWales wrote:
Why have you resorted to personal insults? Not very funny. I've heard Welsh ppl complain about the way RU is played nowadays, and with the exp. law variations there have obviously bn many talks about changing some laws. I heard H Llywelyn Davies say he was in favour of the ELV's.

If you had un-contested 6 person scrums, which only took place in the oppositions half, 13-a-side as I've said, say then a 65 metre wide pitch to compensate slightly for the reduction in playing numbers, this would help Welsh rugby immeasurably, I'm sure Cardiff would be going far better today than what they are, RU as it is does not suit the Welsh psyche, I'm 100% sure that C James would be in favour of changes to the laws. Also interchanges, 8 of them, instead of replacements, to stop what happened at Quins, and also so we don't see the ridiculous situation of loads of players coming on towards the end of a match.

The prospect of taking 5 minute to complete a scrum is still more attractive than the cwtch and a cuddle they have in the game they play on the M62, Eastern Australia and Hemel Hempstead.

"RU as it is does not suit the Welsh psyche"- really, it suits the Welsh psyche infinitely more than RL which in the shape of the South Wales Scorpions is going to fail in Wales for the 30th time.

Who is C James of whose opinion you are 100% sure?

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

NewSouthWales wrote:
neroeambra wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
String wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
All the thousands that watch it? And thousands more who watch RL over RU on satellite TV.

Thousands. vs millions for union. The global figures speak for themselves, union eclipses turf humping in terms of popularity.

Show me the TV viewing figures for 15-a-side club rugby football, include play-offs if you want, where are these millions in the US, Aus, Canada, Japan and England. The NRL TV deal is far bigger than the Top 14 and the English Prem. one.

How much is the TV deal for the top flight Scotland, Ireland and Wales RL teams?

The match in the 2014 Six Nations with the lowest viewing figures still had a higher viewer number than the RLWC semi final between NZ And England. ( Source: BBC).

Prove it. All I can find is the average for the 6N, 2.3m watched England v NZ in the RLWC semi-final, but 2.4 watched England v Aus in their first match at the Cardiff ice rink

But, I would rather you stick to my point, and it concerns ppl who watch club football (rugby), so where do the ppl who watch 6N go when the clubs (I include the regions in this, as they, IMO are clubs) are playing? As Dewi Llwyd, a soccer + Man.Utd supporter, who, when he said this on Pawb a'i Farn and possibly seemed a little smug, "It's the occasion that takes them to Cardiff". Surely far more should watch the RUWC next year, no? I'll be very interested to see if more tune in for Wales v England in the WC than the 6N. My bet will be that the 6N gets a bigger TV viewing audience. The Wales v England 6N match in 2013 drew 8.2m viewers, the Wales v France RUWC semi-final drew 6.6 million, which was more than the England v France QF, which averaged 4.2m. The 6N more popular than the WC? It's obviously the case, and that's wrong.

Check the BBC 6 Nations site - the BARB details are there. The Ireland V NZ RU game IN 2013, rated higher than the England V NZ game in the RLWC semi final.

Good use of the Australian RL structure receiving higher TV Revenues than the Top 14 or Aviva Prem - What is the TV Revenue paid to the top flight Welsh, Irish and Scottish Pro RL Teams?

BTW, the initials are : RWC for The Rugby Union World Cup and RLWC for The Rugby League World Cup

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

neroeambra wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
neroeambra wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
String wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
All the thousands that watch it? And thousands more who watch RL over RU on satellite TV.

Thousands. vs millions for union. The global figures speak for themselves, union eclipses turf humping in terms of popularity.

Show me the TV viewing figures for 15-a-side club rugby football, include play-offs if you want, where are these millions in the US, Aus, Canada, Japan and England. The NRL TV deal is far bigger than the Top 14 and the English Prem. one.

How much is the TV deal for the top flight Scotland, Ireland and Wales RL teams?

The match in the 2014 Six Nations with the lowest viewing figures still had a higher viewer number than the RLWC semi final between NZ And England. ( Source: BBC).

[/b]

Good use of the Australian RL structure receiving higher TV Revenues than the Top 14 or Aviva Prem - What is the TV Revenue paid to the top flight Welsh, Irish and Scottish Pro RL Teams?

BTW, the initials are : RWC for The Rugby Union World Cup and RLWC for The Rugby League World Cup

With the advertising of the 6N and Nov. matches that are shoved down peoples throats every year, is that a surprise? Of course not. We all know about the class war that's still on going in Britain, and rugby league's entanglement within that, perfectly illustrated by Salford's Albert Finney's refusal to accept a knighthood or a CBE, he said the honours system "perpetuates snobbery".

Also, RL is played quite a bit in NZ and PNG, and what about the numbers of Pac. Islanders who play the sport? This obviously in an area of the world where an oval ball is king not a round ball game, I don't understand how soccer is so popular. It must be a conspiracy.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

neroe,

Who is C James? How much do you know about the history of European rugby union? Flip!

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

CarmarthenLad wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
Stop calling RL names you ignoramus.

Millions watching club RU? You can't include "internationals". The vast majority of those who go to 6 "nations" aren't rugby supporters. That would be like calling most who get married in church, Christians.

The vast majority of those who go to internationals aren't rugby supporters? Are you sure? How are you a "real" fan and they are not? Is your money more valuable than theirs? No? Didn't think so. Rugby League would love to be able to pack the grounds around the World - then they might have a sport that is popular in more than just one country, a sport that isn't dying on its ass everywhere except Australia.

*fupp* off you demented *prk*, and don't come back - we only like "real" board members here :thefinger: .

Oh dear me, obviously it's nothing to do wiv munee, where do the ppl go who watch "internationals"?

Also, more youngsters playing RL in France now than for decades, a few London born ppl playing pro-RL now, that's never happened before, and RL is quite popular in North of England, quite a few ppl live there. Yorkshire has a pop. of 5.2 million, almost double of Wales, also when I type wales in it doesn't automatically become a capital W, whereas the Y does when I type in Yorkshire. is Yorkshire more of a country than wales?

RL, not doing too badly in NZ either, PNG is developing, 6 million live in PNG. Quite a few P Islanders playing in the NRL, Q Cup and NSW Cup too.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

NewSouthWales wrote:
Oh dear me, obviously it's nothing to do wiv munee, where do the ppl go who watch "internationals"?

Also, more youngsters playing RL in France now than for decades, a few London born ppl playing pro-RL now, that's never happened before, and RL is quite popular in North of England, quite a few ppl live there. Yorkshire has a pop. of 5.2 million, almost double of Wales, also when I type wales in it doesn't automatically become a capital W, whereas the Y does when I type in Yorkshire. is Yorkshire more of a country than wales?

RL, not doing too badly in NZ either, PNG is developing, 6 million live in PNG. Quite a few P Islanders playing in the NRL, Q Cup and NSW Cup too.

You are a *fupping* idiot.

So because 12 french kids play this year instead of 6 last year you think your game is thriving in the Northern Hemisphere? Rugby league (the professional code) isn't played professionally in France except at one club (full of Australian/English/NZ journeymen) that plays in Sky TV's English Superleague.

You do realise that the game in the UK is dying on its arse? Bradford Bulls, one of the biggest clubs in Northern Hemisphere RL, in administration late 2012 and are still in trouble, the third Premiership club in 18 months to go under. Crowds falling for all but the biggest games. London Broncos cant make a permanent go of it as a pro club, constantly having to re-invent themselves, constantly having to take players from the tiny heartland of Rugby League up north. TV viewing figures are poor, therefore advertising revenue is poor, therefore TV contracts are small. If things continue as they are, RL will soon be a semi-pro sport in the Northern Hemisphere.

PNG is developing - agreed, but that means dick all. RL is a sport played professionally in only two countries - with two further countries represented by 1 team (NZ in NRL and Fr in Super League). The RL world cup relies on 3 or 4 teams that are truly national sides, not just rebadged Australian 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th 8th XVs. The sport (outside of NRL and its feeder competitions) is a shambles at a professional level, and is being outstripped by Union on a global level at a considerable rate.

To pretend anything else is just moronic.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:44 am
Schools District Player

NewSouthWales wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:

Millions watching club RU? You can't include "internationals". The vast majority of those who go to 6 "nations" aren't rugby supporters. That would be like calling most who get married in church, Christians.

The vast majority of those who go to internationals aren't rugby supporters? Are you sure? How are you a "real" fan and they are not? Is your money more valuable than theirs? No? Didn't think so. Rugby League would love to be able to pack the grounds around the World - then they might have a sport that is popular in more than just one country, a sport that isn't dying on its ass everywhere except Australia.

*fupp* off you demented *prk*, and don't come back - we only like "real" board members here :thefinger: .

1,000 at the game involving the franchise from London last weekend, the biggest City in Europe - the only Professional RL Team in the Northern Hemisphere outside Perpignan and the M62.

How is RL development progressing in Scotland, Ireland and Wales?

No one refers to Carwyn as Mr C James.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

neroeambra wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:
CarmarthenLad wrote:
NewSouthWales wrote:

1,000 at the game involving the franchise from London last weekend, the biggest City in Europe - the only Professional RL Team in the Northern Hemisphere outside Perpignan and the M62.

How is RL development progressing in Scotland, Ireland and Wales?

No one refers to Carwyn as Mr C James.

Just saving a little time when writing.

In response to Carms lad, RL usually has more TV viewers on satellite TV than RU. It seems difficult to get hold of these figures, it was quoted that 65,000 watched Worcester against someone in February this yr on BT, and 350,000 watched Wigan v Huddersfield during the same period granted on Sky. But RL usually had more viewers even more than most European Cup matches, a few yrs ago in the quarter-finals of the E Cup, Clermont v Saracens had about 170,000 TV viewers, and Leinster v Cardiff even less. And didn't Saracens have 80,000 plus at Wembley recently, where were they yesterday in the European Cup semi-final?

Also, as you might have guessed I watch RU; and I would not be against RL experimenting in bringing back a continuous live rucks and the lines-out. But obviously stick with 13 players, and be able to call a ''mark'' anywhere inside ones own half, have 7m in-goal areas, get rid of scrums completely, instead have a 7 v 7 play when in oppositions half, a free-kick inside own half.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:37 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Furthermore, many in Aus think that European RL should bring back continuous live rucks, one of the reasons being that the NH will never compete with Aus in RL, even if most of the best French, Welsh, Irish and English RU players were available, I agree, the Kangaroos would beat the best that NZ could put together, from their RU team.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Just stick the mongrel on "ignore" - I read the first couple of posts from the loon and then tired of his agenda .....

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 pm
World XV Player

:D What a sensitive lot you Welshies are. He didn't drop a hand grenade, he just mentioned rugby league.

By the way league has a big following in NZ. It is quite common to be a league and union supporter down this way. ;)

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:35 pm
World XV Player

Justic wrote:
:D What a sensitive lot you Welshies are. He didn't drop a hand grenade, he just mentioned rugby league.

By the way league has a big following in NZ. It is quite common to be a league and union supporter down this way. ;)

No Justic, he came back with his genius ideas to improve Union. Get rid of the scrum, lineout, two players etc etc. Usual bullshit that he always spouts.

When presented with the reality of the situation - that RL is dying on its ass as a pro game in the NH - he tries to show that it isn't with made up TV viewing figures. The reality is that RL in the NH is in desperate straights and, without a huge injection of cash and a miraculous upturn in public interest, it will be an amateur sport up here in a decade or so on the same level as underwater hockey and extreme ironing.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 pm
World XV Player

Justic wrote:

Its the same here too! Its only the *fupp* wits who decry RU for a non existent yet perceived class system or its supposed lack of flair or those who ridicule RL because of its at times begrudgingly superior handling and better support play keep threads such as this going.

I guess I'm lucky, as well as being a handsome *Bar steward* I'm able to appreciate both codes.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail