It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Rugby injuries levels threatening to the game as we know it? 
Site Admin

Post Re: Rugby injuries levels threatening to the game as we know it?
Rugby L have been complaining for some years that the collision area is far too severe for the players physic, thus causing extreme injuries, it would follow that the same is happening in union as highlighted by Tel, we are harking back to the days of the gladiator and away from the game we once knew as rugby. Size it seems is everything and skills are secondary.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
I posted in the French rugby section that the French Pro Players Union had set up a formal body to address the increasing concern surrounding injuries/
Increased Press today an example follows:

Image shows :

% area of body injuries
12% ankles
13% thighs
17.5 % shoulder
13% head
14% knee ..etc
Activities potential cause

Making tackles 31.2%
Exhaustion 17.5%
Taking a tackle
Wear and tear 15.4%
Free for all 7.9%
Maul 2.4%
Others 16.8%
Specifics (reportable injuries)

Twist, sprain concussion 31.2%
Fracture 9.6%
Superficial 4.6%
Muscular/tendon4.5%
Concussion/cerebral 4.4%
Others 17.7%
78 injuries / 1000hrs play (not sure of explanation)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Now the more worrying aspect !

(translated and multiple %s of different sample section makes it a bit confusing I have to say!)

American football
100 Pro players :
Autopsies :

Total revealed degeneration cerebral
-----------------------------------

210 mixed player population (pro, semi pro, uni, ..)analysis :

170 of them died at an average age of 66 having played for 15 yrs
Of those 111 NFL players figured in this analysis 110 showed cerebral problems
(the higher the level the more the problem)
Of these 27 of the sufferers 96% showed comportment probs or depression, 85% concentration issues, and 33% dementia.

Of 84 of the retired playes 95% cognitive probs and 85% dementia.

There followed other articles and authors amongst them Cudmore who has been on a concussion mission for some time although his antics on the field was ‘aggressive to say the least :D
---------------------------------------------------

French rugby at the non pro level which is less covered formally with expert medical opinion and expertise is starting an experiment this weekend where the ref can award a blue card limiting the minimal potential return to playing etc. The announcement detail is awaiting publication.

The procedure is already underway in Aus.
---------------------------------------------------

Whatever …. The prime Q is …’Is our Game in danger of radical change or even suppression? It has become a dangerous Sport!

In answer to your final question, yes.

One of the many facets of why there is a shortage of players at the grass roots level is to do with the exponentially greater physicality of the sport.

A decade ago even, you'd have 3rds and 4th teams full of experienced 40-50 (and even 50plus) players playing with older teens, those older players would have been the mainstays of the clubs first team up until their late 30s early 40's, from about level 5 downwards (english levels), now most teams below that level struggle to put out second teams.

Now even at level 7 or 8 it's the exception that a mid 30's player is in the first team, they all retire because they are physocally buggered and can't keep playing at any level, so you don't get that trickle down effect of older players hanging around and playing in the seconds, thirds and fourths.

I've had the misfortune to play in two games where an njury was sustained that left the person in need of lifetime care, I believe that to be slightly unlucky, and it happens no more frequently than it used to.

I have however been involved in over 20 games, around 8% of all games I've played in as a senior, where life changing injuries have been sustained by a player, some of those have led to enforced career changes, certainly none of them played rugby again.

They are just the ones I know about, I just bumped into a guy who plays local rugby and I know from the game in the supermarket, who has just retired, aged 32, snapped his arm and has minimal movement in his wrist and fingers now, happened at the end of last season in a cup final, his side beat us in the semi.

The game is not one you can pick up and put down anymore, even at the bottom of dog shit level, you can't walk away for 5 years and come back anymore, you'll get hurt.

I'm in my late 30's, I've got two buggered shoulders which need surgery but they won't do it because I still play rugby (and I'm overweight) and I've got a new knee sometime in the next decade when I can't use my current one anymore, they can't do any more for it, I've got they body of a guy who played rugby for nearly 40 years in the last century and finally gave up in is 50's, and again I'm the exception, I'm a genuinely old timer when I take the pitch now at any level.

The game as we knew it is gone, the game as we know it is not long for this world IMHO

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Agree completely, you don't see hardly anyone over 30 in our playing structure here (Div I,II,III). The combined effect of all the collisions with big players takes its toll.

See many more season ending or worse injuries also.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:08 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Agree completely, you don't see hardly anyone over 30 in our playing structure here (Div I,II,III). The combined effect of all the collisions with big players takes its toll.

See many more season ending or worse injuries also.

Exactly.

I've coached players as colts that have already given up due to the physical strains

It's the same at all levels, season/career ending injuries are on the rise at all levels

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Can only say thats not my experience within the game. Not a scientifically based opinion, but i see no difference in injuries(below semi pro), i will say that after injury players are more likely to turn away from the game where previously they would have returned.

The biggest threat to the game is the use of size and power increasing drug use, in my view. Which is whey we are having so many muscle detachment issues and problems with massive contacts!

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Can only say thats not my experience within the game. Not a scientifically based opinion, but i see no difference in injuries(below semi pro), i will say that after injury players are more likely to turn away from the game where previously they would have returned.

The biggest threat to the game is the use of size and power increasing drug use, in my view. Which is whey we are having so many muscle detachment issues and problems with massive contacts!

At our level it's all subjective, I will say that I still play so my view is slightly different to yours, my current coach shares your view with regards injury levels.

The drugs, I've always known of players on juice, I can't say that I've seen a huge increase of it at the dog shit level I play at now but I have heard that is a problem around level 3/4, ie th level where you can earn money and just below the pro level.

All subjective though

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
Blindside wrote:

At our level it's all subjective, I will say that I still play so my view is slightly different to yours, my current coach shares your view with regards injury levels.

The drugs, I've always known of players on juice, I can't say that I've seen a huge increase of it at the dog shit level I play at now but I have heard that is a problem around level 3/4, ie th level where you can earn money and just below the pro level.

All subjective though

Yep ...... its a strange old game where players at a certain level take performance enhancing drugs, but they don't enhance their performance enough to get to the next level :scratch: im not disagreeing with you, its just ive never been able to balance the equation.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Nasty injury, was very worrying at the time

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/41228221

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 am