It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 am

Sco RFU getting their act together...... 
World XV Player

Post Sco RFU getting their act together......
......or, at least, trying to ;)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40764024

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:01 pm
Club Player

Post Re: Sco RFU getting their act together......
Would like to see something like this in Wales. The Premiership should be about 8 clubs, with the games properly marketed (and some games each week televised) and focused around offering a higher quality development encironment for the regions. Scrap the nonsense Premiership Select teams and let the new premiership clubs compete in the B&I.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Would like to see something like this in Wales. The Premiership should be about 8 clubs, with the games properly marketed (and some games each week televised) and focused around offering a higher quality development encironment for the regions. Scrap the nonsense Premiership Select teams and let the new premiership clubs compete in the B&I.

Makes far more sense than what is in place.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Dear Scotland,

Look at the Welsh Prem and do the opposite

Cheers aye

fids

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:56 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Dear Scotland,

Look at the Welsh Prem and do the opposite

Cheers aye

fids

Aye, true enough.

:(

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:56 pm
Junior Player

Think the teams will be
Glasgow 1
Glasgow 2
Midlands (Stirling)
Edinburgh
Borders
Caledonia

If they play a full round robin of 10 matches, with qualification to B&I Cup for top two it would make a great development opportunity for those fringe players, of Warriors and Edinburgh.

As for Welsh Premiership, I think a semi-pro league of 8 teams, each linked with a Pro team would again be a great opportunity for fringe players.
My teams would be

Llanelli
RGC
Swansea
West Glamorgan (Bridgend, Neath, etc.)
Valleys (old Mid Glamorgan county)
Cardiff (South Glamorgan county)
Newport
East Wales (Rest of Gwent)

Again, full round robin and top 4 teams qualify for B&I Cup

As for Pro14, I think the teams need to be franchised and fulfill criteria of ground, population and financial, rather than the traditional clubs.

Tradition in sport is great at the amateur level as it brings in lots of history, but pro rugby is part entertainment and has to see it that way. It is not about the traditional clubs it is about generating cash to support the development of the next generation of elite players.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Higgik wrote:

Tradition in sport is great at the amateur level as it brings in lots of history, but pro rugby is part entertainment and has to see it that way. It is not about the traditional clubs it is about generating cash to support the development of the next generation of elite players.

It is about introducing players to the game and nuturing the promising to promotion to the upper echelon.
Money making at that level is a myth, it should be invested in and secured by the Union?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Higgik wrote:

It is about introducing players to the game and nuturing the promising to promotion to the upper echelon.
Money making at that level is a myth, it should be invested in and secured by the Union?

Very interesting perspective of contrasting views on what the game is about or should be about. I would agree that the game is not about tradition or even traditional clubs, but it should certainly be about more than "entertainment" and lining the pockets of about 150 people associated with the "elite". Its about participation and providing the structured opportunity to progress.Without that underpinning of the game, it becomes a talking shop of nonsense. The elite are the product of your system, as part of that system the vast majority never reach the standard but are still a massive part of the system, indeed an integral part of it.

What do you think "the elite" were doing when they were between the ages of 7 and 16, who knew they were elite, how many players had to be involved in the structures to create a team and opposition, what influenced their development parents, coaches etc As Tel says its about the introduction and nurturing of players, its the only way and theres no real quick fix, you just patch the problem.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:51 am
Profile E-mail