It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 am

The plight of the English Championship 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post The plight of the English Championship
Think everything in English rugby beyond the Premiership and the national team is all rosy? Think again! Here is a good article from BBC Sport looking at the troubled Championship:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38650116

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:16 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: The plight of the English Championship
Semi-Pro wages are £10k per annum in England?

Yeah .....

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:33 am

And the 2nd tiers in other countries are doing fantastically right?

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Troron wrote:
Is the only reason you are on the site to react to anything and everything that's posted about English rugby??

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Troron wrote:
Is the only reason you are on the site to react to anything and everything that's posted about English rugby??

Correction sir, Anti english rugby ;)

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Thegrimriper wrote:
Troron wrote:

Nope, I'm also currently having fun making fun of Bouch. It's quiet until the 6N actually kicks off. Besides, without me it would just be a circle-jerk of self-congratulating bull regarding all things English, need some moderation :king:

Having said that, I will point out that it's actually a valid point. What 2nd tier is not having problems?

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
Troron wrote:

Nope, I'm also currently having fun making fun of Bouch.

:D

Who said I'm useless?

:kermit:

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:22 am
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
Troron wrote:

Nope, I'm also currently having fun making fun of Bouch. It's quiet until the 6N actually kicks off. Besides, without me it would just be a circle-jerk of self-congratulating bull regarding all things English, need some moderation :king:

Having said that, I will point out that it's actually a valid point. What 2nd tier is not having problems?

That is the result is the business approach to the game where the vast majority of funds goes to the elite...I am sure soccer teams in Division 3 and below struggle.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

That is the result is the business approach to the game where the vast majority of funds goes to the elite...

Indeed it does, the only difference being the amount of funds. Each English Championship club receives £550,000 pa from the RFU. In stark contrast the WRU invest £1.5m pa in the Welsh premiership as a whole, amongst 16 teams. Which works out about £93,000 per club. Nothing new here, just shows how much better funded the English championship is in comparison with the Welsh Premiership. Roughly about fives times better funded. Despite that, English clubs are under huge financial pressure, and struggling. I would hazard a guess that wages are playing a big part in that problem. Still it's modelled on how things work in football, so it's to be expected. More, more, more, and then it's still not enough.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

That is the result is the business approach to the game where the vast majority of funds goes to the elite...

Indeed it does, the only difference being the amount of funds. Each English Championship club receives £550,000 pa from the RFU. In stark contrast the WRU invest £1.5m pa in the Welsh premiership as a whole, amongst 16 teams. Which works out about £93,000 per club. Nothing new here, just shows how much better funded the English championship is in comparison with the Welsh Premiership. Roughly about fives times better funded. Despite that, English clubs are under huge financial pressure, and struggling. I would hazard a guess that wages are playing a big part in that problem. Still it's modelled on how things work in football, so it's to be expected. More, more, more, and then it's still not enough.

On the other hand some nions share out on a just about equal basis whilst others recognise meritocracy and fair earned income.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 pm
World XV Player

Not sure bout the business model.... i have two relatives one playing in the first division for Rosslyn Park and one for Ealing in the Championship i believe they are both on significantly more than £10,000.

Business model appart.. i am confident that the best side in the WRU Championship would be relegated from the English Chapionsip, so as a rugby model, im not really sure what it says about us.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

There's not enough money or support for it to be the 'fully pro' setup it claims to be. (I've had the discussion with Blindside numerous times about the voracity of this claim)

Many of the teams are getting more and more leveraged with debt in the hope of getting to the promised land of the Premiership and only two people and a dog come to watch them.

Then again the RFU + PRL don't want it to be, they want to ring fence the top division with the teams it wants, if the rest go into oblivion, then so be it.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

There are 16 Pro teams in ProDiv2 in France

They are under the same auspicies as Top14 IE LNR and audit DNACG

They are very closely managed and reported in close detail

Examples :

2014/15

Av LNR support/transferred earned income 2.7M
av Budget 6M (big spread)
Bottom line split 6 deficit 4 nip and tuck 6 profit, worst (2.3M) best 0.5M
Av gates 3 K but big swings

Most promotions yoyo but there are successes eg Bordeaux and this year La Rochelle and Toulon came back from Prodiv2

Large amount of detail and formal registered reports if anybody interested.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Blindside wrote:
Not sure bout the business model.... i have two relatives one playing in the first division for Rosslyn Park and one for Ealing in the Championship i believe they are both on significantly more than £10,000.

Business model appart.. i am confident that the best side in the WRU Championship would be relegated from the English Chapionsip, so as a rugby model, im not really sure what it says about us.

Perhaps, but the crucial difference is that the English Championship is nowadays fully pro, whereas the Welsh Championship are only semi-pro at most.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Tony Panties wrote:
There are 16 Pro teams in ProDiv2 in France

They are under the same auspicies as Top14 IE LNR and audit DNACG

They are very closely managed and reported in close detail

Examples :

2014/15

Av LNR support/transferred earned income 2.7M
av Budget 6M (big spread)
Bottom line split 6 deficit 4 nip and tuck 6 profit, worst (2.3M) best 0.5M
Av gates 3 K but big swings

Most promotions yoyo but there are successes eg Bordeaux and this year La Rochelle and Toulon came back from Prodiv2

Large amount of detail and formal registered reports if anybody interested.

Yeah, I get the impression that the gap between first and second tiers is not as big in France as in England, and that the D2 teams are still well-funded and it is easier for them to succeed once promoted into the Top 14 than it is for English Championship sides to succeed in the Aviva. (Exeter are about the only real success story here - Worcester and Newcastle are constantly at risk of relegation, then we see the plight of Bristol and the now-defunct London Welsh).

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 pm
Profile E-mail