It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Cockerill sacked 
World XV Player

Post Cockerill sacked
Tigers have sacked Dick. I said sacked.
Some say it's getting like footy on BBC. I say they have been shit for some time. Not a big fan of his, every time he came to Wales to play our sides he kicked off.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:36 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Cockerill sacked
Treforest Gump wrote:
Some say it's getting like footy on BBC. I say they have been shit for some time. Not a big fan of his, every time he came to Wales to play our sides he kicked off.

I never liked how Tigers played. Always come across as cynical and going for bish bosh bash style rugby. I don't think it is a coincidence that their players are frequently injured either, they seem to rush them back too quickly.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

8 year reign - like footy?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

I never liked how Tigers played. Always come across as cynical and going for bish bosh bash style rugby. I don't think it is a coincidence that their players are frequently injured either, they seem to rush them back too quickly.

They were good, but they were also many times, contentious issues. Cockerill was always very vocal if they were being beaten by the welsh regions.

I think they typified the old school 10 man game back in the day with Johnson, but I did quite like watching them but they become the panto villains of English rugby. They did play in some of the greatest Heineken Cup games and I think they typified the competitions never say die attitude....ahum Neil Back....ahum.....Munster.....hand.

I never forget the time they went to Pontypridd and had something like 80% possession and lost despite dominating and Johnson was furious.

Cockerill gave me the impression of a man who would blame anything else but himself for his teams failings. I seem to recall he had a bit of to do with the Ospreys in a HC game involving Henson? May be wrong but he was no friend of the welsh teams.

Back in the 90's we had the cross border mid week games with the English clubs, loved it and lots of banter with the English fans and the Tigers supporters were great. Appreciated them coming up to the valleys on a Wednesday night, great games and good for the game.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:04 pm
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
8 year reign - like footy?

Thats what I thought. He was the coach when Lyn Jones was with the Ospreys ffs!! Cockerill achieved more than him!! However over the last three years they have gone downhill and they are no longer the force they were. Could say that about Glos and Saints.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:07 pm
World XV Player

Cockerill underlines the Peter Principle ...he was ok until Pro Rugby really came to bite and, imo, the Leics Club, Wheeler and Co, executive suffered similarly

They'll be back on track, got all the fundamentals ....

Dai's riding on the crest of a wave at the mo and alongside the progressive Club management ...

Meanwhile, imo, the likes of Saracens have strategic objectives ..

quite a mix at the mo

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 pm
World XV Player

Cockerill makes some interesting points about the ability of Leicester's (arguably sustainable) business model to compete with the likes of Saracens, Bath & some of the Top 14 who are all owner-funded:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... crossroads

The crux in his view being:

There was a time (i.e. 10 years ago when Leicester were riding high) when Leicester could sign big names from abroad, such as Pat Howard, Rod Kafer, Mauger, who is in interim charge of the first team following Cockerill’s departure, and Daryl Gibson, supplementing them with those lesser known like Marcos Ayerza and Martin Castrogiovanni.
These days, the elite end up in the Top 14 or as a marquee signing for English clubs able to live beyond their means.

Just as Roman Abramovich changed Premiership football when he bought Chelsea in 2003 and covered debts of £80m, so the ownership model of clubs ahead of Leicester in the table, Exeter excluded, has recalibrated the Premiership. Saracens’ debt stood at more than £45m last year after an annual loss of nearly £4m, a shortfall covered by the club’s parent company, Premier Team Holdings Limited.

Bath lost £1.8m last year, down from £3m in 2014. Wasps lost £2.4m and took £35m in debt when it issued a bond scheme that is due in 2022, by which time it anticipates a significant rise in revenue from outside rugby through the Ricoh Arena. Leicester, a public limited company, have the highest turnover of any Premiership club and the largest number of regular supporters, but paying to improve facilities – the latest upgrade at Welford Road cost £8m – left them reaching the salary cap but not making any marquee signings until the arrival of the Australian centre Matt Toomua last summer, and he only played a couple of matches before suffering a long-term knee injury.

Leicester find themselves in the position of Arsenal post-Abramovich, going from vying for the title to battling for a top-four place while living within their means and reducing the debt on the Emirates Stadium.

“We are at the point where Manchester Utd were as a plc,” said Cockerill, at the end of the 2014-15 season. “You get to a position with the Chelseas and Man Citys and ask if an owner is an option for us. We just can’t create enough revenue to compete with whoever. If Bristol come up, their owner has a lot of money. The guys at Saracens and Bath have a lot of money. As far as I’m aware, we’re not searching for an owner. We could come to a point where that may or may not happen. Or we sit where we sit and, with that amount of money, stay there or thereabouts.”

Some huge sums of money quoted there in terms of debts run up by Saracens etc.
As an aside, and FWIW, it seems to me that the chances of Wasps being able to pay back that bond of £35 million by 2022 look to be extremely slim, unless they too can find a rich and indulgent sugar daddy before then...

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm