It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:03 am

Leicester Tigers are to complain about tv coverage 
World XV Player

Post Leicester Tigers are to complain about tv coverage
Leicester Tigers crowds for the Aviva Premiership and Heineken Cup are down almost 11% on last season {2,250 fans a game approx}, the Tigers believe blanket tv coverage of their games is the reason .
The Tigers managing director thinks that tv coverage of his team is affecting gates even when taking the economic downturn into consideration, although the Tigers are on tv nearly all the time they only get an equal share with other clubs of the tv money although some other clubs are not televised as much, this is not the case with football where a team is directly paid if one of their games is televised .
I dont know what agreement the Welsh rugby regions have over tv rights, the Tigers managing director aint happy and is going to talk to the game's authorities according to a local newspaper in the area, but there again I assume his club agreed to the tv deal in the first place.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:44 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Leicester Tigers are to complain about tv coverage
trampie wrote:
Leicester Tigers crowds for the Aviva Premiership and Heineken Cup are down almost 11% on last season {2,250 fans a game approx}, the Tigers believe blanket tv coverage of their games is the reason .
The Tigers managing director thinks that tv coverage of his team is affecting gates even when taking the economic downturn into consideration, although the Tigers are on tv nearly all the time they only get an equal share with other clubs of the tv money although some other clubs are not televised as much, this is not the case with football where a team is directly paid if one of their games is televised .
I dont know what agreement the Welsh rugby regions have over tv rights, the Tigers managing director aint happy and is going to talk to the game's authorities according to a local newspaper in the area, but there again I assume his club agreed to the deal in the first place.

No doubt about that the televised games are responsible for a drop in turnout, financial plight aside, 2250 per game is a lot mind!

If I'm reading you right even the though as top draw, the Tigers might get all pool games covered and another club might only have one covered they each get the same, that being so I have sympathy!

But adertising streams do make for greater revenue at televised games, whether its more than the missing 2250 I wouldnt know.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

So what gives them the most cash? 2000 (possible) fans or TV money?

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Sleeper wrote:

If I'm reading you right even the though as top draw, the Tigers might get all pool games covered and another club might only have one covered they each get the same, that being so I have sympathy!

Apparently it is the case, the article talks about both the HC and the AP in particular, im pretty sure that in the AP that all the clubs share the tv money equally.
{AV=Aviva Premiership}

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 pm
World XV Player

MobyDuck wrote:

I dunno but I suspect that has nowt to do with it, I suspect that they are the 11% down on last season, using the televised games as a reason why, being televised more than others but getting no more dosh. I have sympathy.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MobyDuck wrote:

?

Tigers get a share of the tv money whether or not their game is on the box, for example only, Tigers could have 10 home league games televised a season and Exeter might have 1 home league game televised but both would receive the same money from the tv people, Tigers think that their games being on tv is causing their gates to be down on what they would expect, Exeter having only having one home game on tv, the effect on their finances would be very small.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:09 pm
World XV Player

trampie wrote:
MobyDuck wrote:

?

Tigers get a share of the tv money whether or not their game is on the box, for example only, Tigers could have 10 home league games televised a season and Exeter might have 1 home league game televised but both would receive the same money from the tv people, Tigers think that their games being on tv is causing their gates to be down on what they would expect, Exeter having only having one home game on tv, the effect on their finances would be very small.

My understanding is that there is a cascade down through the leagues/grades from all TV money. My view is that the cascade should provide greater % revenue for the club being televised and the Tigers are right to ask for more if they are subject to more games on TV.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Thought I'd posted in this stream earlier, .. hmm

However, my view..

1. Leics have a very significant + on other teams gates even in the LV, I have the details

2. It's a concern of the N Hemp (Eng/Fra) Elite that they, in country and cross Eur, 'subsidise' others... They also suffer most from Intl release although some recompense is pro rated. They quote catchment and ROI etc.

3. I don't think that this is a serious Leics issue ref LV .. (who is Leics Pres? .. who wags the PRL tail etc ..) also I know that there's an issue PRL/LNR regarding the big fish tournament ie HC and upcoming ERC revised contract etc. It is also known that the Eng/Fra factions believe that the ERC revenue is a lot less than it deserves ..

All part of a larger power game imho, ...

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 pm
World XV Player

EDIt

whoops, wrong angle..

Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:11 pm
World XV Player

Sleeper wrote:
trampie wrote:
MobyDuck wrote:

?

My understanding is that there is a cascade down through the leagues/grades from all TV money. My view is that the cascade should provide greater % revenue for the club being televised and the Tigers are right to ask for more if they are subject to more games on TV.

But the grounds that get the best TV coverage, get the best advertisers, so they gain that way. If they dont get extra from the 'pot' they get it from the sponsors, advertisers etc directly into their own club and dont share that with clubs who dont get coverage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MobyDuck wrote:
Sleeper wrote:
trampie wrote:
MobyDuck wrote:

?

But the grounds that get the best TV coverage, get the best advertisers, so they gain that way. If they dont get extra from the 'pot' they get it from the sponsors, advertisers etc directly into their own club and dont share that with clubs who dont get coverage

But they are in business Moby and perhaps a view is that on each occasion they are televised they lose 2250 speccies worth of gate money, thats between £23 - 35k (SWAG), argument being that without being televised they would get the TV money anyway and are operating at a loss! I have no idea how much they get via advertising from a televised event, I'm only aware that advertising space at grounds costs more when its on TV.

Another view is perhaps, why should Leicester take a £23 - 35k hit to maintain a competitor!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 am
Profile E-mail
Reading between the lines, Leicester are angling for a share of TV revenue based on the number of times televised.
:scratch:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:52 am
Old Fart wrote:
Reading between the lines, Leicester are angling for a share of TV revenue based on the number of times televised.
:scratch:

Brian, I think the end game is bigger than that and will overflow into the ERC/HC too.
The Big Clubs are fed up with providing big revenue that is shared and also having the biggest Intl release impact.
They're also pîssed with HC qualification where the likes of Aironi get a 'free' entry etc ..and also believe that the ERC revenue is a lot less than it should be (PRL and LNR negotiate their own TV contracts etc ... )

HC preliminary negoations for new contract will start soon ...

Remember too that Wheeler is trying to get President of the ERC ..

Believe me the plot is thickening

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:02 pm