It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
England v South Africa - Match Thread 
World XV Player

Post Re: England v South Africa - Match Thread
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/BoksOnTo ... p-20101205

Quote:
London - South Africa coach Peter de Villiers feels his side's dreams of retaining the World Cup in New Zealand next year have been given a big lift by their hard, if only half successful, campaign in the Northern Hemisphere.

The Springboks boss was upbeat and certainly not feeling deflated despite seeing his men lose 26-20 to a Barbarians side full of Wallaby and All Black stars at Twickenham on Saturday.

Defeat ended a 2010 full of turmoil on and off the field for de Villiers and his world champions, who were beaten in five of their six Tri-Nations matches and saw dreams of a first 'grand slam' in 50 years disappear with a shock 21-17 loss to Scotland last month.

But an injury-hit side could also reflect on a 21-11 win over England at Twickenham the week before they lost to the Barbarians.

De Villiers is confident the future is bright for a Springbok side he expects to peak in time for the World Cup, which gets underway in September.

"As everyone has seen over the past few weeks on this tour of the Northern Hemisphere, we have many exciting young players coming through who could certainly push for a World Cup place," de Villiers said.

"We still have ten months to go before the start in New Zealand and so much can happen between now and then. The team is still developing and, hopefully, will improve considerably between now and then.

"Our victory over England showed what this team is capable of doing when it has to. No one connected with South African rugby has ever doubted the real quality and natural skill and strength we have.

"It's just getting it altogether on the field and fulfilling the expectations," de Villiers added.

"Of course it is going to be tough defending our title but it is something we will go into 100 percent ready and excited about.

"We know just what it will take to win the biggest trophy in the sport once again," de Villiers insisted.

Juan Smith, who captained South Africa against the Barbarians in the absence of the injured John Smit and Victor Matfield, echoed his coach's confidence for a successful 2011.

"Being in the thick of it, I can see just how the team is moving on," the flanker said.

"The South African public should not be worried. We will be primed and ready come New Zealand at the end of next year.

"It was a shame we could not win our final game of this year but this was an inexperienced Springbok team, and the guys who came in will have learned so much from it."

De Villiers added: "You have to remember this Barbarians side was full of world stars, mainly from Australia and New Zealand. There's no disgrace in losing to a team of that quality at the end of a long, hard season. The boys gave it everything and we were strong at the finish so I am not too unhappy.

"We now need a long break. The guys have been through a lot this year and are naturally pretty tired."

The Barbarians' former South Africa turned Italy coach Nick Mallett said the conclusion to be drawn from the November international programme was that Europe's best were still some way off matching the Tri-Nations.

"I'm still convinced there is still a huge gap between the two hemispheres in terms of rugby ability and performances," Mallett said.

"If the guys can't knock over the Southern Hemisphere sides when they are tired and still acclimatising to conditions, clearly there is a difference.

"England played one great game. They played out of their skins to beat Australia (35-18).

"And Scotland beat South Africa because the Boks were not at their best and not ready for it. So, yes, there is still a gap."

There just seems to be too much.... I dunno, acceptance to losing, in this :scratch: - I'll admit, I have ZERO confidence in them.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:42 am
World XV Player

PdV is very lucky in that he has excellent players. Victor Matfield said they as players decided on a gameplan against England. So they overruled the coach who basked in the limelight afterwards. If PdV knew his story he would have planned ahead and get our backline together before the Baabaas game and not flew in Strauss a day or two before the game. Look at Mallet and his m-o-m Anton van Zyl choice. Also the score does not mind in such a game but our guys are under instructed to kick to post instead of running it. It shows the coach wanted to keep his job at all cost with a win and he did not care about the spirit of the Baabaas game.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 am
Account Closed

The South Africans in the Baabaas team were outstanding. I liked Beast "running" with the scrum when his locks and flankers aleady broke away.

Why did they not play Lambie at flyhalf after half time. That little punk Jantjies is way too wet behind the ears. Lambie would have made a big difference when SA's forwards took over. Waste of time this fixture. Boks toured without 14 top players, then sent 9 touring players home, so this really was a 3rd team etc, playing rugby in that shit hole, in freezing temperatures, with no crowd in attendance, when they should be basking in the sun on the tropical beaches of Natal restoring their bodies for world cup year!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Account Closed

Smurf, I am very confident honestly. You have to start calculating from 2008 and what has been going on and where we are. This was an absolute 3rd team, who monstered that NZ/Aus/World pack in the scrums and eventually got their line outs sorted too. I am also 100% confident the Boks were brilliant against Scotland for two reasons. Scotland was available at 15/1 at the Bookies. The Boks had an agent place 100 000 pounds on Scotland and made 1,5 million off that game (100K each -Sterling - more than they make in SA for an entire year bro), and secondly they led England straight in to the trap and smashed them silly. I think it was pretty obvious. You don't get dominated by Scotland one weekend and then smash the Poms in to submission the next. :D

SA also has the best of NZ trust me bro. We didn't show any forward play against them this year (Never mind the injuries and bans and yellows). The Boks walked back to rucks and had no cohesion. Do you really think Victor Matfield/Smit/du Preez/Coaches don't know that? There is not a team in the world even remotely close to the Boks of 2010 I can assure you that. We smashed NZ 3 times in 2009 and in their backyard. We won the Lions series and all that is left for the boys to do now is win the cup again in 2011. And they will. I cannot see NZ come close, England has a way to go, Aus forwards are rubbish and not up to WC standards, which leaves France, who I think have been pulling the same moves as SA, having a laid back 2009, not giving anything away. So France vs SA final next year for me.

This Bok team is masterfully professional and had the luxury of testing a few things and referees this year. They are on a mission, MISSION 2011! They will be able to adapt to any situation come the WC, they will be able to play any ref, they will be able to handle injuries, they will be the most physical side in the world (finals style). The will be the most experienced side in the world. They have the best lineout jumpers in the galaxy, they now seem to have the cleverest scrum and not far off the most powerful, they will have the best scrumhalf in the world by some margin, they have the most prodigious points scorer in S14 and 3N history for SA. They will have Jean de Villiers and Jacques Fourie in the middle who is absolutely sublime and twice the players Nonu and or Sonny Bill/Smith will ever be. They will have the monster boot of Francois Steyn out back and super speedsters (chasers) out wide no matter who they pick, they will have by far the most depth of any international rugby nation come 2011, with NZ falling apart without McCaw and Carter.

Chill my bro, you will soon see. :wink: :thumbright:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

While I commend you for your optimism and flair, you are forgetting one thing every single other country has in their arsenal......

Pieter de Villiers.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:04 pm
World XV Player

SDSmurf wrote:
While I commend you for your optimism and flair, you are forgetting one thing every single other country has in their arsenal......

Pieter de Villiers.

That's funny man. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:16 am
Account Closed

SDSmurf wrote:

Pieter de Villiers.

Its propaganda Smurf! PDV is not that bad and be carefull it doesn't become an excuse for lazy players. The British press started the PDV crusade and it seems even Saffers bought in to it. PDV outwitted Henry last year with exactly the same teams. Matter of fact we steam rollered NZ. PDV also won in NZ which Jake White could not do. What is this nonsense of the players are the coaches... there is absolutely no proof of that. Sure they add some technical input but PDV is the coach. PDV also has a much better record than Jake White in the pre-WC year. Everybody called for Jake White's head the year before the WC, so nothing strange with PDV. PDV also has Gary Gold and Dick Muir who are good coaches. If you think coaching is the problem you are making a mistake. firstly, there is no problem. We are 10 months out from the WC. Most people know *fupp*-all about how the players are coached before a match anyway so this Saffer negativity is nonsense. Most people know *fupp*-all about setting traps in one game for the next game. International rugby coaching is not just about drilling the boys like the head master did at school. There are hugely technical aspects. None of the Boks took part in hand eye coordination practices or any other individual coaching this year. Why would we want Bryan Habana the sharpest he has ever been in 2009? We want him sharp in 2010. The ABs have never been this fit, never been this coordinated and won't improve much in 2010. It seems 2009 was the most important thing for them after those nasty hidings in 2009. We have seen the best they have on offer, but what do you reckon the Boks will produce come 2011. Do you believe they have the players? Do you believe they have the grit? Do you believe in the Springbok and what it represents? I am telling you now, we are going to witness an absolute massacre when these Boks take the field at the World Cup.

Wait until the final whistle in the WC 2010, and if we don't win then let rip if you want.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BP, even if what you said was true (laying traps, setting up great betting odds), I don't hold with that mentality - And I certainly certainly don't hold with the 'as long as we win the WC' shit.

'Don't show all your cards I undertand, but ensure you win' is as far as I'd go.

And by the way, you ask "
Quote:
Do you believe they have the players? Do you believe they have the grit? Do you believe in the Springbok and what it represents?
" and then imply the Boks are laying traps and setting up betting odds - Is THAT what the Springbok represents?

We all know you were tongue in cheek with those comments anyway, which leads us right back to the fact that we are currently pretty poor. We'll see next year if they had the ability, but don't come on those who use this year as a reason for little optimism :wink: ...

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:25 am
Account Closed

They were poor, but I don't blame them to be honest. These blokes have been around. Matfield has won every trophy available as an example, he just won the S14 again this year. There is significant amounts of mental work that goes in to S14 campaign, never mind a British and Irish Lions tour followed by a Tri-Nations and straight in to a winning S14 campaign yet again. And when your sights are on the next tourney it could be hard to lift yourself for the current. Look at the All Blacks this year. I predicted that after their first game against SA their results would get poorer and pourer. This is exactly what happened. They were highly inspired by game one but when they hit Jo'burg they nearly lost it and so too in the final game against Australia. Then came Hong Kong, and after the massive mental strain of the Tri-Nations the blokes couldn't lift themselves just that one more game and they lost. I therefore don't rate this year all that much even though the boys were poor Smurf. I really think we should give the boys the benefit of the doubt. This is the professional era and athletes simply can't keep up mentally never mind physically. Against England the Boks pulled it together mentally and physically for 80 minutes and look what happened (Scotland was a blessing in disguise).

Sure we can probably appoint a better coach, sure the guys underperformed, but how nice is that! To be able to say the Boks are underperforming and coached like shit, yet losing to NZ in the dying seconds with controversial decisions and plenty injuries, building depth then going on and thrashing a very strong England without a backline. Wow, I'm sure Australia would have loved to be in our shoes. We are Boks supporters Smurf, and I agree it makes one sick to see a Bok team lose, especially when we know what we have in our arsenal, but I'm just asking that we try and be a little more optimistic considering the situation, the time of year, the two seasons gone by, the team we have, what we know they are capable of etc. :dontknow:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bokpower wrote:
SDSmurf wrote:

Pieter de Villiers.

Its propaganda Smurf! PDV is not that bad and be carefull it doesn't become an excuse for lazy players. The British press started the PDV crusade and it seems even Saffers bought in to it. PDV outwitted Henry last year with exactly the same teams. Matter of fact we steam rollered NZ. PDV also won in NZ which Jake White could not do. What is this nonsense of the players are the coaches... there is absolutely no proof of that. Sure they add some technical input but PDV is the coach. PDV also has a much better record than Jake White in the pre-WC year. Everybody called for Jake White's head the year before the WC, so nothing strange with PDV. PDV also has Gary Gold and Dick Muir who are good coaches. If you think coaching is the problem you are making a mistake. firstly, there is no problem. We are 10 months out from the WC. Most people know *fupp*-all about how the players are coached before a match anyway so this Saffer negativity is nonsense. Most people know *fupp*-all about setting traps in one game for the next game. International rugby coaching is not just about drilling the boys like the head master did at school. There are hugely technical aspects. None of the Boks took part in hand eye coordination practices or any other individual coaching this year. Why would we want Bryan Habana the sharpest he has ever been in 2009? We want him sharp in 2010. The ABs have never been this fit, never been this coordinated and won't improve much in 2010. It seems 2009 was the most important thing for them after those nasty hidings in 2009. We have seen the best they have on offer, but what do you reckon the Boks will produce come 2011. Do you believe they have the players? Do you believe they have the grit? Do you believe in the Springbok and what it represents? I am telling you now, we are going to witness an absolute massacre when these Boks take the field at the World Cup.

Wait until the final whistle in the WC 2010, and if we don't win then let rip if you want.

:D

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:45 am
Account Closed

:pottytrain1:

:D

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9