It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
England v South Africa - Match Thread 
World XV Player

Post England v South Africa - Match Thread
England have already reached the two win target set by chief executive John Steele with wins over Australia and Samoa.

England slection to be announced on Thursday (I expect the same side that beat Australia).

Saffers announced their selection with two changes Ruan Pienaar replaces Francois Hougaard at 9 and Pierre Spies at 8:

Z Kirchner (Blue Bulls); G Aplon (Western Province), F Steyn (Racing Metro), J de Villiers (Western Province), L Mvovo (Sharks); M Steyn (Blue Bulls), R Pienaar (Ulster); T Mtawarira (Sharks), B du Plessis (Sharks), J du Plessis (Sharks), B Botha (Blue Bulls), V Matfield (Blue Bulls, capt), D Stegmann (Blue Bulls), J Smith (Cheetahs), P Spies (Blue Bulls)

Replacements: A Strauss (Cheetahs), CJ van der Linde (Cheetahs), F van der Merwe (Blue Bulls), W Alberts (Sharks), F Hougaard (Blue Bulls), P Lambie (Sharks), A Jacobs (Sharks).

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Teams: Eng v SA
England will exceed their target I reckon :!:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:37 pm
World XV Player

Scotland frustrtaed SA, England should be able to at least do the same.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 pm
World XV Player

Thing is, being English and when stuff is going reasonably well I get to thinking .......... bingo we are going to muller them, and I end up disappointed.

This Saffer side should have lost 3 from 3, they didnt and I dont think they are any mugs ..................... there is a good game in them and a bad one in England!

On paper England should have this one and I think they will but as ever one bit of brilliance, a missed tackle, taking or not taking a chance, discipline or the ref is the difference.

Just glad they have PDV.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Sleeper wrote:
Thing is, being English and when stuff is going reasonably well I get to thinking .......... bingo we are going to muller them, and I end up disappointed.

Agreed, this is England.

However, you're playing the PdivvyBoks......... I have already put R500 (I'm poor Image) on England winning.

This way, I win either way. Tough times for Springboks. If we win, PdV stays. If we lose......... Fack, who wants to lose.
And we never know what we'll get if and when PdV actually does go...

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:56 pm
Account Closed

I'll give it to the Boks by 10...

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bokpower wrote:
I'll give it to the Boks by 10...

But you aint reffing! :D

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Account Closed

My thinking Sleeps:

1. Against NZ England didn't look that fancy bar the scrum
2. With 4 of the Aussie top guns out Eng blasted a poor performing Aussie side
3. Eng stuttered past Samoa
4. The entire tour to the UK and Ire was about Eng for SA (Wales, Ireland and Scotland non-factors for the WC)
5. SA will be on top of their game for this one
6. England has a way to go before they can be on SAs level I think (but WC another story)
7. I can understand Welsh optimism but to them it is about proving how piss poor they really are (so praying England win this one by some margin)
8. I still think SA are under rated and we haven't see f-all of what they can do
9. During last year's AIs SA was so poor that they lost against Saracens, yet thumped England by 40 points in the final game
10. The Boer War still lingers in the back of the Boer minds

And therefore my reasons to believe. I am sure you can think of a few for England, but unfortunately Sleeps I'm South African (and not a nice one) :wink:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Bokpower wrote:
My thinking Sleeps:

4. The entire tour to the UK and Ire was about Eng for SA (Wales, Ireland and Scotland non-factors for the WC)
6. England has a way to go before they can be on SAs level I think (but WC another story)
7. I can understand Welsh optimism but to them it is about proving how piss poor they really are (so praying England win this one by some margin)
8. I still think SA are under rated and we haven't see f-all of what they can do
9. During last year's AIs SA was so poor that they lost against Saracens, yet thumped England by 40 points in the final game

And therefore my reasons to believe. I am sure you can think of a few for England, but unfortunately Sleeps I'm South African (and not a nice one) :wink:

We all think you are nice! :thumbright:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Sleeper wrote:
Bokpower wrote:
My thinking Sleeps:

We all think you are nice! :thumbright:

haha, \
this game, and Aussies vrs France, will really show where and who is looking good at the moment, these 4 teams you would think, with NZ would be and have been, only teams that could win RWC 2011

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:47 pm
World XV Player

Bokpower wrote:
My thinking Sleeps:

I thought they did exactly what they planned. Win with a reasonable buffer, no injuries.

Quote:

The most awesome piss you've ever drunk......... was still piss :shock: :wink:

Quote:

Full team, yes. This team, I don't reckon so at all. I think we've seen everything they can do.

In all honesty, after the way we've played the whole tour, and the brainless idiocy that we displayed against Scotland, we really shouldn't be able to win. Not because England is great, but because we are just that poor.

A Springbok win should never be considered an 'upset', we're supposed to win. That's where this team falls very far down.

I give it to England, by 10-15. And only 10 because they take their foot off the pedal and the Boks score in the last 4min.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 pm
World XV Player

England Selection, the only change to the 22 man squad from the 35-18 victory over the Wallabies is the inclusion of Banahan for Delon Armitage among the replacements:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ralia.html

B Foden (Northampton); C Ashton (Northampton), M Tindall (Gloucester), S Hape (Bath), M Cueto (Sale); T Flood (Leicester), B Youngs (Leicester); A Sheridan (Sale), D Hartley (Northampton), D Cole (Leicester), C Lawes (Northampton), T Palmer (Stade Francais), T Croft (Leicester), L Moody (Bath, capt), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: S Thompson (Leeds), D Wilson (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), H Fourie (Leeds), D Care (Harlequins), C Hodgson (Sale), M Banahan (Bath).

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good continuity for England in team selection. Many strengths such as coaching, Ashton 14, scrums, Moody, Easter
If there is weaknesses it could be nr10 Flood and the two locks.
Matfield will come blazing out with all guns as he had now been nominated IRB player of the year (one of several that include last year's winner Richie McCaw). Also expecting a great game from Spies if they give him more space from behind the scrums (nr 9 to pick up and feed breakaway Spies on the inside or outside) and not leave him to pick up and drive (a move we tend to overdo and which is well read ). Surprise package could be Mvovu. He did not do too bad with all the scrappy balls he received in the heavy rain last week. That is if JdV distribute a bit and not overdo the run forward head down thing. Our tight five has the potential for a big game aswell.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:12 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Good continuity for England in team selection. Many strengths such as coaching, Ashton 14, scrums, Moody, Easter
If there is weaknesses it could be nr10 Flood and the two locks.
Matfield will come blazing out with all guns as he had now been nominated IRB player of the year (one of several that include last year's winner Richie McCaw). Also expecting a great game from Spies if they give him more space from behind the scrums (nr 9 to pick up and feed breakaway Spies on the inside or outside) and not leave him to pick up and drive (a move we tend to overdo and which is well read ). Surprise package could be Mvovu. He did not do too bad with all the scrappy balls he received in the heavy rain last week. That is if JdV distribute a bit and not overdo the run forward head down thing. Our tight five has the potential for a big game aswell.

I have no real worries with Englands back 3 or the half backs, perhaps a lack of all round creativity at 12 and 13 but robust enough.

I dont see the locks as a weakness either, my big concern being Easters (8) ability to hand a game to the opposition!

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Easter had some good driving forward runs against the ABs though. Had not seen much of him though. Seems as if conditions will dictate tactics/snow expected :-(

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next