It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 am

Odds on Scotland 
Regional Junior Player

Post Re: Odds on Scotland
Troron wrote:
Hilljills wrote:
Troron wrote:
BigRed wrote:
What are the odds of Scotland winning the 6N, Grand Slam, & Triple Crown?
They are looking pretty good, best Scotland team I have witnessed for many a year.

Pretty low, the supposedly best Scottish team in years got torn a new one at Twickers and they have only strung 5 wins together once in their entire history.

You don't half talk some ill informed guff at times.

That "supposedly" best Scotland team in years had a scrum half playing on the wing and a stand off playing at full back within the first 30 minutes.

That's after taking into account a front row beset by injury problems with the likes of Nel, Sutherland, Dickinson not available.

Yes we crumbled, but when you look at Scotland results from the last 2 years that was a freak one-off. Your arrogant sneering at other teams is tiresome.

Tell me the last time Scotland were able to string at least 3 wins together.

Scotland 29 - 0 Italy Murrayfield

Italy 13 - 34 Scotland Singapore

Australia 19 - 24 Scotland Sydney

3 in a row

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

2 of which were Italy, big wow... Wanna know the last time Scotland's competitors strung 3 wins together? Rather than whipping out the "arrogant English" card why don't you look at the fact which is that the Scots get a few highlight reel wins but even now have not been able to string together a lot of wins, those highlight wins are mixed in with losses. To win competitions you don't need to play fancy rugby or get thrashings, you need to win consistently. Scotland still have not shown they can do this.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
2 of which were Italy, big wow... Wanna know the last time Scotland's competitors strung 3 wins together? Rather than whipping out the "arrogant English" card why don't you look at the fact which is that the Scots get a few highlight reel wins but even now have not been able to string together a lot of wins, those highlight wins are mixed in with losses.

Yes all true, but the past doesn't count for a great deal IF something substantial as changed regards the quality of their play and their players. You may be right and its a temporary departure from the norm, but sometimes a new norm is possible. What convinces you that the change is so superficial rather than true change, the past isnt the greatest reason :dontknow:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Blindside wrote:
Troron wrote:
2 of which were Italy, big wow... Wanna know the last time Scotland's competitors strung 3 wins together? Rather than whipping out the "arrogant English" card why don't you look at the fact which is that the Scots get a few highlight reel wins but even now have not been able to string together a lot of wins, those highlight wins are mixed in with losses.

Yes all true, but the past doesn't count for a great deal IF something substantial as changed regards the quality of their play and their players. You may be right and its a temporary departure from the norm, but sometimes a new norm is possible. What convinces you that the change is so superficial rather than true change, the past isnt the greatest reason :dontknow:

No but the fact we have seen over and over and over again these false dawns for Scottish rugby. They are better than they were, that is undeniable. They have had some great results, that's also undeniable. What I'm not convinced about is their consistency, they have not yet demonstrated that. Let's put this in perspective, England have been the model of consistency in the NH with the odd blip and been at an almost there level for years yet it's taken us losing 1 game in 2 years to be deemed a "good" team. I find the current expectation being heaped on Scotland premature. I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying that 1 good year does not suddenly mean all following years will be good. They did still lose 2 games last 6N yet that was deemed their best result. For Wales, Ireland and England losing 2 games is deemed a failure. Scotland will point out that when England beat them they were suffering injuries but if you look at where England targeted for most of their tries, it was through the Scottish centres who were both first team players. Also Scotlands recent great results were against teams with at least a man down, Australia were leading prior to the red.

If they go into this 6N and wipe the floor, I'll eat my words. However I'm not convinced they can do it. I remember a few years ago the French got into their champagne rugby, it was great to watch but the second it came up against teams with good defence, it became useless.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Troron wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Troron wrote:

No but the fact we have seen over and over and over again these false dawns for Scottish rugby. They are better than they were, that is undeniable. They have had some great results, that's also undeniable. What I'm not convinced about is their consistency, they have not yet demonstrated that. Let's put this in perspective, England have been the model of consistency in the NH with the odd blip and been at an almost there level for years yet it's taken us losing 1 game in 2 years to be deemed a "good" team. I find the current expectation being heaped on Scotland premature. I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying that 1 good year does not suddenly mean all following years will be good. They did still lose 2 games last 6N yet that was deemed their best result. For Wales, Ireland and England losing 2 games is deemed a failure. Scotland will point out that when England beat them they were suffering injuries but if you look at where England targeted for most of their tries, it was through the Scottish centres who were both first team players. Also Scotlands recent great results were against teams with at least a man down, Australia were leading prior to the red.

If they go into this 6N and wipe the floor, I'll eat my words. However I'm not convinced they can do it. I remember a few years ago the French got into their champagne rugby, it was great to watch but the second it came up against teams with good defence, it became useless.

Agree with every word really, im not convinced they can do it, but im not convinced they couldnt either, there are signs that they could run any side close in Scotland, even England, who i agree are way ahead of them. They can win games now, instead of "better sides" losing through poor performances.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Junior Player

Troron wrote:
2 of which were Italy, big wow... Wanna know the last time Scotland's competitors strung 3 wins together? Rather than whipping out the "arrogant English" card why don't you look at the fact which is that the Scots get a few highlight reel wins but even now have not been able to string together a lot of wins, those highlight wins are mixed in with losses. To win competitions you don't need to play fancy rugby or get thrashings, you need to win consistently. Scotland still have not shown they can do this.

I'm not whipping out the arrogant English card, I live I England and can take the arrogance of the average English fan (up to a point).

You, however, are just a dick who claims to talk from a position of informed knowledge yet is just plain wrong most of the time.

Your new claim that Scotland's recent great results were against teams with at least a man down are once again laughable and wrong.

Australia at Murrayfield is the only game we have won this year where we have had a numerical advantage over the 80 mins. This season we've beaten Wales, Ireland, Aus x2, Italy x 2.

The original point of this thread was can Scotland mount a challenge for the 6N, probably not but the sneering, dismissive tone of your first post in this thread is nauseating.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Hilljills wrote:
Troron wrote:

I'm not whipping out the arrogant English card, I live I England and can take the arrogance of the average English fan (up to a point).

You, however, are just a dick who claims to talk from a position of informed knowledge yet is just plain wrong most of the time.

Your new claim that Scotland's recent great results were against teams with at least a man down are once again laughable and wrong.

Australia at Murrayfield is the only game we have won this year where we have had a numerical advantage over the 80 mins. This season we've beaten Wales, Ireland, Aus x2, Italy x 2.

The original point of this thread was can Scotland mount a challenge for the 6N, probably not but the sneering, dismissive tone of your first post in this thread is nauseating.

You whipped it out earlier so yeah, you are. Oh please, the whole I'm an uninformed dick/troll was done to death around 2013 and shown the be only partially true. Yes, I can be a dick, no I'm not uninformed, I speak my mind and if that means I have criticism of your team then so be it. I will criticise England more than any other team. No what's nauseating is hearing for the umpteenth time that this is Scotland's year, there are so many times you can hear that and see it not backed up. I distinctly recall Scotland saying they had a real chance of beating England at Twickers before being torn to shreds. We got years of knobbery from losing to Wales in 2013 and still get it for going out in the pools so if you can't handle a complete thrashing and what would be viewed as a poor final position as criticism against Scotland then you have a LOT of learning to do. Hell I didn't take us losing to Wales in 2013 well either but Scotland have got off so lightly compared to what we got.

How about you take it for what it is, Scotland have NOT shown and ability to be consistent, they have NOT shown an ability to bring a game back from the brink, they have NOT shown the ability to get a string of wins and have NOT shown an ability to win away from home. One Scotland start doing these then I'll be willing to accept them as 6N contenders but as it stands I will only accept them as an improved side who play attractive rugby but are not the finished article nor are they 6N contenders.

If I can criticise England's form despite breaking almost every NH record in the last 2 years then you bet I can criticise Scotlands

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:38 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Another reason I hope Ireland win the 6N outside of being Irish is it will put English fans back in their box as they clearly aren't capable of winning anything without disappearing so far up their own ass they are starting to resurface through the mouth. I've taken 2 years of this shite and I hope 2018 will be the year things return to normal.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Should you watch any England games at all, C?

It's not good to fulminate about things long term.

They have a new coach in charge these days and he's a laugh a minute.

:thumbup:

Scotland, Ireland and Wales will be playing good stuff next year and its the 13th of December already.

:occasion5:

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:14 am

Cathalsmart wrote:
Another reason I hope Ireland win the 6N outside of being Irish is it will put English fans back in their box as they clearly aren't capable of winning anything without disappearing so far up their own ass they are starting to resurface through the mouth. I've taken 2 years of this shite and I hope 2018 will be the year things return to normal.

And I took more than 2 years of it from people like you first so pipe down. You are the first to dish it out but piss poor at taking any back.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

At those odds they are certainly worth a small punt.
However, whilst they have improved significantly and have a clutch of quality players the nature of the six nations means that to win it you need strength in depth these days.
I just don't know if they have that yet compared to the likes of England and the Jones master plan of 3 players of equal ish status in each position.
Yes, they have England at Murrayfield which helps but equally Cardiff has been brutally unkind to the Scots over the years.
I remain on the fence regarding their contenders status but in terms of making the competition more exciting I hope that there is real substance to the noises being made over the wall about the impact their squad can make.
I guess we will find out , one way or the other pretty soon.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:57 am
Profile E-mail