It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 am

London Welsh 
Mini Player

Post Re: London Welsh
Bouch wrote:
At one period the players performing miracles for London Welsh tended to be Welsh blokes who were teachers.

As soon as this situation exists again, London Welsh will start climbing up the Leagues.

We've got a good squad under Sonny Parker - all Amateur but we hope to climb up a few leagues over the coming season.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:35 am
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Yes . largely irrelevant today, hemce the decline.

Not irrelevant to the 500+ who have joined the club, the 3 senior men's teams we put out, the 600+kids who play at Old Deer Park every Saturday and the women's team we put out. Not irrelevant to the Welsh exiles who train and get players from our club.

Our benefactor didn't want to fund professional rugby anymore (see Hazell etc at Newport Gwent Dragons and Peter Thomas at Cardiff) unfortunately the exit strategy of selling to American Private equity firm feel through, but our club is strong and will come back, maybe not a s pro side but as a great place to watch and play rugby in London.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:38 am
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
I presume L.W. have lost their R F U status. As I have previously indicated, it is regrettable that the W R U has not put a rescue package in place. A token buy out and a settlement to the debtors would have benefited the Union as would be free holders of Old Deer Park. A week end in London far surpasses a jaunt to the High Veldt.
There are many Premiership aspiring Welsh players who could have been recruited to L.W. to make them a serious member of the Pro 14.

Nope we have full RFU status still.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

London Welsh club tie wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Not irrelevant to the 500+ who have joined the club, the 3 senior men's teams we put out, the 600+kids who play at Old Deer Park every Saturday and the women's team we put out. Not irrelevant to the Welsh exiles who train and get players from our club.

Our benefactor didn't want to fund professional rugby anymore (see Hazell etc at Newport Gwent Dragons and Peter Thomas at Cardiff) unfortunately the exit strategy of selling to American Private equity firm feel through, but our club is strong and will come back, maybe not a s pro side but as a great place to watch and play rugby in London.

The question was about the migration of teachers from Wales to the London area.

I used to go to old Deer Park in the mid 1970's and saw some good games. When the 1970's era Lions players left, the club never recovered. I was at school with Clive Rees. Always would go to the Orange Tree afterwards...nothing quite like Young's bitter..

I like the community focus....... we do that here in a smaller way at our club...I really enjoy amateur rugby.

Good luck

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:41 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
London Welsh club tie wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

The question was about the migration of teachers from Wales to the London area.

I used to go to old Deer Park in the mid 1970's and saw some good games. When the 1970's era Lions players left, the club never recovered. I was at school with Clive Rees. Always would go to the Orange Tree afterwards...nothing quite like Young's bitter..

I like the community focus....... we do that here in a smaller way at our club...I really enjoy amateur rugby.

Good luck

Orange Tree Richmond, had a works flat on Richmond Hill for a while, loved it ;)

Richmondwere up there in them thar days too...

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:53 pm