It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PRO 14 Final 
International Player

Post Re: PRO 14 Final
Leinster are an excellent side.

Scarlets - well played, no disgrace in defeat,strive to get better.

The game was a great advert for rugby.

Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Well the big budget team is hammering the small budget team. Both Munster and Leinster did not take the Scarlets seriously last year and they learned that lesson in spades for this season..

Big budget team? 90% of the team are from leinster and they could have fielded a 100% Leinster developed team with all Irish players and would have still won.

Your comment would be fair if the team we're mostly imports but if a big budget allows you to keep players you actually developed then what's the issue?

Scarlets a great team, good match. Only thing from a leinster POV was that the scoreline didn't reflect the match really and I wish we hadn't let in those last tries, it took a bit of the shine off.

Scarlets really the shining light for Welsh rugby, if we hadn't won the final I would have liked you guys to win. I think a champions cup win could do wonders for all the Welsh regions.

Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 pm
Club Player

I really feel for you guys who bemoaned the Scarlets late tries, how dare they take the gloss off this match for you, but in their defense it is their job to try and score tries against Leinster, it is allowed you know, even if the game was at the Aviva, again.

Sun May 27, 2018 6:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

That was a good game to watch, apart from the coaching of the referee by the Leinster captain ….

Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
That was a good game to watch, apart from the coaching of the referee by the Leinster captain ….

Isn't that what a good captain does? Sam certainly does it. which is why he been picked as a Lions captain so often

Sun May 27, 2018 7:55 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yes, you are quite right.

Well done.

I'll say it again.

"That was a good game to watch, apart from the coaching of the referee by the Leinster captain …."

Sun May 27, 2018 8:07 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Yes, you are quite right.

Well done.

I'll say it again.

"That was a good game to watch, apart from the coaching of the referee by the Leinster captain …."

Looking forward to Wales beating so and so next season and you saying
Quote:
That was a good game to watch, apart from the coaching of the referee by the Welsh captain

Though I'm not holding my breath

Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Scarlets rely too much on their props... Lee anchors the scrum well and Scarlets often get a nudge... without a big back five or even a traditional right hand lock. Owens is a competitor and Evans has some strengths

The power issue is in the second and back rows. The locks are essentially 6s, the openside is on the small side

Ball will make a difference but something in the back row may help in these top elite level games

Sun May 27, 2018 1:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Well played Leinster. We came second but what a game. :thumbup:
I agree with someone who mentioned our lack of a true 4 & 5. I think that is where we lost it, far too light in the heavy exchanges.
They outmuscled us in the tight phases allowing Sexton to dictate the pace of the game.
Sexton plugged Steff Evans virtually the whole match. He made his intention known from his very first touch of the ball and I feel that Steff was found wanting.
Maybe Pivac left it a bit late to bring on Tom Prydie who I thought plugged that gap when he came on.
Prydie, as I have mentioned before, will establish himself as one of our best wings in the forthcoming tour to Argentine.
I just hope he now remains injury free to at last fulfil his true potential.
I like Steff he is exciting to watch but he has his limitations.
I would like to see him reinventing himself as a scrumhalf. His style of play is ideally suited to that role.
With his ability as an SH he would keep the opposition loose forwards 'honest' and on their toes.

Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
I really feel for you guys who bemoaned the Scarlets late tries, how dare they take the gloss off this match for you, but in their defense it is their job to try and score tries against Leinster, it is allowed you know, even if the game was at the Aviva, again.

We could have had the game in Wales but it would have drawn a crowd of 10 men and a dog so .. ;)

Do you think the result would have been different had it been in Wales? I don't

As for the tries , I don't know if your referring to me or not but I was dissapointed because when one looks at the scoreline it doesn't reflect the match so I wish we had kept a tighter ship, well done Scarlets though. Play some really lovely rugby , such a great team to watch. Fingers crossed they win the euro in the next few years, they have a good team. Maybe the pack needs to be beefed up a bit though

Sun May 27, 2018 11:58 pm
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
I agree with someone who mentioned our lack of a true 4 & 5. I think that is where we lost it, far too light in the heavy exchanges.
They outmuscled us in the tight phases allowing Sexton to dictate the pace of the game.
Sexton plugged Steff Evans virtually the whole match. He made his intention known from his very first touch of the ball and I feel that Steff was found wanting.
Maybe Pivac left it a bit late to bring on Tom Prydie who I thought plugged that gap when he came on.
Prydie, as I have mentioned before, will establish himself as one of our best wings in the forthcoming tour to Argentine.
I would like to see him reinventing himself as a scrumhalf. His style of play is ideally suited to that role.
With his ability as an SH he would keep the opposition loose forwards 'honest' and on their toes.

All Steff would need to do is:

a) learn to spin pass in both directions,
b) learn how to kick accurately
c) learn how to tackle bigger players,
d) learn how to catch the ball in the air when playing sweeper as a 9 must

Sounds pretty simple.... ;)

Mon May 28, 2018 1:25 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:

TBQH I think it is a big ask but I'm sure he can do it.
I definitely see him as a top SH who will cause mayhem in the opposition ranks.
I have also noted that he has often come into that role when the SH is 'otherwise occupied' and clears the ball very fast. More often than not creating space for those around him.
He could be blooded into that role by giving him twenty minutes every now and again when Scarlets are running away with the game, as we often do against lesser sides.
As a Wing, I can not see him progressing much further. I personally do not see him in the same light as Shane Williams.
While saying this, Steff is a great finisher and links well in attack and as a SH would have his hands on the ball more often. Regarding your (c) above, as a SH those big men, have not had time to build up much pace making it easier to tackle them. On the wing when they are coming at you with a pace it is much more difficult and is another area where Steff has been found wanting.

Mon May 28, 2018 10:11 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:

I have also noted that he has often come into that role when the SH is 'otherwise occupied' and clears the ball very fast. More often than not creating space for those around him.
He could be blooded into that role by giving him twenty minutes every now and again when Scarlets are running away with the game, as we often do against lesser sides.
As a Wing, I can not see him progressing much further. I personally do not see him in the same light as Shane Williams.
While saying this, Steff is a great finisher and links well in attack and as a SH would have his hands on the ball more often. Regarding your (c) above, as a SH those big men, have not had time to build up much pace making it easier to tackle them. On the wing when they are coming at you with a pace it is much more difficult and is another area where Steff has been found wanting.

The Scarlets have two really top class players remaining in the ranks:

Foxy and Ken Owens, both Lions in NZ

The next tier has players like Rob Evans, Ball, Lee, Shingler, Cawdor, Parkes who are good international players, but not Lions standard.

The there is a drop to the next tier of players who are marginal international players or top club players, like all the 2018-19 imports or players like Steff Evans and James Davies.

I just don't think Steff is that good when the step up in level is taken, and is at his best when games break down structure wise, which is not that often at the very top level. He was craftily targeted on Saturday.

McNicholl is a far better player as an example. I expect to see taller/bigger wings playing for the Scarlets.

Mon May 28, 2018 4:59 pm
World XV Player

Agree converting him to a scrum half is madness

At the moment he is short of elite level but feel if he just has a game where he puts it all together then it would give him the confidence

He has developed a lot over the past couple of years but agree he still needs to find an extra gear

Mon May 28, 2018 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
BigRed wrote:

The Scarlets have two really top class players remaining in the ranks:

Foxy and Ken Owens, both Lions in NZ

The next tier has players like Rob Evans, Ball, Lee, Shingler, Cawdor, Parkes who are good international players, but not Lions standard.

The there is a drop to the next tier of players who are marginal international players or top club players, like all the 2018-19 imports or players like Steff Evans and James Davies.

I just don't think Steff is that good when the step up in level is taken, and is at his best when games break down structure wise, which is not that often at the very top level. He was craftily targeted on Saturday.

McNicholl is a far better player as an example. I expect to see taller/bigger wings playing for the Scarlets.

LE I think you are contradicting yourself. >>> I expect to see taller/bigger wings playing for the Scarlets<<< Where does that leave Steff?
McNichol will obviously sew up one wing, I expect Tom Prydie to sew up the other. Obviously, Ha'penny will sew up the FB jersey. That leaves Steff on the bench. Not a good place for a match winner. I would still like to see him in the SH jersey.

Mon May 28, 2018 8:02 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next