It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:08 am

Wendy Ball 
World XV Player

Post Wendy Ball
I know some of us on this forum are going to re-coil at Cardiff making the English Premier League.
However, that is taking a one-eyed view of the situation.
Cardiff is going to bring hundreds of thousands of fans from the top teams in the EPL to spend money in South Wales.
This can only be of benefit to the regions.
The rugby 'purists' may be thinking that this is going to turn potential rugby players into footballers.
This may happen to a certain respect but what it is going to do is to bring more youngsters into the sport.
Many of these youngsters are going to find out that they are more suited to rugby than football.
Is it a coincidence that Wales rugby has a greater depth of players since Swansea broke into the EPL?
I think not.

Instead of panicking that rugby is going to lose out, rather rub your hands with glee.
More money in South Wales means more money available to fill the coffers of the WRU and the Regions, which means more and better players can be retained to improve the game of rugby in Wales.

Sun May 06, 2018 5:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Wendy Ball
Don't think there is much to worry about football, more to worry about rugby and where it's going, take yesterday, one of the most exciting teams to watch in the country , playing a play off game in beautiful weather and they can't even sell out a stadium which only holds 14000/15000
That's something to get concerned about not football

Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Don't think there is much to worry about football, more to worry about rugby and where it's going, take yesterday, one of the most exciting teams to watch in the country , playing a play off game in beautiful weather and they can't even sell out a stadium which only holds 14000/15000

I think you need to factor in:

5,000 Scarlets' fans just went to Dublin, not a cheap trip
Season tickets did not cover this game
it was announced with 5 days notice
it is a Bank Holiday week end
2018-19 season tickets went on sale last week

Sun May 06, 2018 7:30 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

All pretty much the same type of excuses we hear all the time. Every time someone question poor attendances they have a list they trot out. It's embarrassing

Sun May 06, 2018 8:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

it is a Bank Holiday weekend

There is a lot of rugby to watch during the year, but not that often can you enjoy the sun and swimming in the sea.
So I can understand where people are coming from.
However, that is a digression from the tread.
Wales rugby will definitely benefit by having Wendyball teams in the EPL.
Hopefully, Swansea can win their last game to be able to stay up.
They are in great danger of dropping down to the Championship.

Sun May 06, 2018 8:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

A good reason why South Wales needs the income that Wendyball will bring:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... g-13682376

Sun May 06, 2018 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I don't know if it is just a pure coincidence or not, but both the Ospreys in the Pro12/14 and Swansea/Neath/Bridgend in the Welsh Premiership have noticeably deteriorated ever since the Swans reached the EPL.

Sun May 06, 2018 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
I don't know if it is just a pure coincidence or not, but both the Ospreys in the Pro12/14 and Swansea/Neath/Bridgend in the Welsh Premiership have noticeably deteriorated ever since the Swans reached the EPL.

I do not think that is a true reflection of the strength of Wales rugby.
You are obviously not listening to what the Welsh coaches are saying.
Gatland has said that for the first time he does not know for sure, excepting in one or two positions, who the first team is.
The decline of Ospreys is entirely due to coaching which has been poor at best and persevering with certain players who blow hot and cold, mainly cold.
Dragons were too short of class players because the coach wanted to wait for a season to see what his youngsters could do. The class players they did have had unfortunate injuries. The Blues did quite well and the Scarlets have done well and are building up their own second string team. Some injuries to senior players haven't helped.
All in all, I think Wales rugby is on an upward cycle.
More youngsters coming into football will increase the number of players graduating to rugby with good football skills.
More EPL fans/supporters visiting the area means more money in the hands of the locals. This eventually finds it's way into the pockets of rugby supporters/fans.
It is all plus/plus, I see no downside to it whatsoever.
My son played footie until age 14 when he graduated to rugby where he played at number eight. He used to take all the penalty kicks for his team as he was the best kicker in the side.
Time for a reality check.

Sun May 06, 2018 11:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:

All pretty much the same type of excuses we hear all the time. Every time someone question poor attendances they have a list they trot out. It's embarrassing

Alas, it's based on fact, which is hard for some to understand, especially anyone from Cardiff. The economy of West Wales is so different from the core of Swansea and Cardiff, it's remarkable. That is why they sing "Yma o Hyd", it's a separate existence away from the big cities. It really means something to the community.

Llanelli and West Wales is not rolling in cash like Cardiff, where all the real swindlers live. ;)

Mon May 07, 2018 12:59 am
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

Gatland has said that for the first time he does not know for sure, excepting in one or two positions, who the first team is.
The decline of Ospreys is entirely due to coaching which has been poor at best and persevering with certain players who blow hot and cold, mainly cold.
Dragons were too short of class players because the coach wanted to wait for a season to see what his youngsters could do. The class players they did have had unfortunate injuries. The Blues did quite well and the Scarlets have done well and are building up their own second string team. Some injuries to senior players haven't helped.
More youngsters coming into football will increase the number of players graduating to rugby with good football skills.
More EPL fans/supporters visiting the area means more money in the hands of the locals. This eventually finds it's way into the pockets of rugby supporters/fans.
My son played footie until age 14 when he graduated to rugby where he played at number eight. He used to take all the penalty kicks for his team as he was the best kicker in the side.

You make some good points but a lot of it is based on ifs and buts. The Dragons, regardless of their potential haven't proved anything, their injuries are unfortunate but the results count. The Ospreys have been shit for a few years, coach or not. The Blues ditto. The Scarlets, I would argue have been playing some of the best quality of any of our regions, ever. They still have further to go.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

You make some good points but a lot of it is based on ifs and buts. The Dragons, regardless of their potential haven't proved anything, their injuries are unfortunate but the results count. The Ospreys have been shit for a few years, coach or not. The Blues ditto. The Scarlets, I would argue have been playing some of the best quality of any of our regions, ever. They still have further to go.

I'm not saying we (Wales Regions) are the finished article but I, personally, see an upward tick as to where we are headed.
If I am right, we will see fortunes change in both Ospreys and Dragons next year. One proviso, Ospreys are desperately in need of a good flyhalf. If they are going to depend on Sam they are in trouble from the outset. Sam is OK off the bench as he offers something different. However, I do not think Ospreys have won many matches where Sam has started.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I'm not saying we (Wales Regions) are the finished article but I, personally, see an upward tick as to where we are headed.
If I am right, we will see fortunes change in both Ospreys and Dragons next year. One proviso, Ospreys are desperately in need of a good flyhalf. If they are going to depend on Sam they are in trouble from the outset. Sam is OK off the bench as he offers something different. However, I do not think Ospreys have won many matches where Sam has started.

I agree. I hope you are right.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

2018-19 season tickets went on sale last week.

The ability to generate unwarranted optimism is best down West.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

Far better class of people than the shysters in Cardiff
Yma o Hyd

Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

Pessimism doesn't help matters. :D
There have been significant signings by Dragons but not that happy about some of Scarlet's signings as I think that our losses are greater than our signings. I mean, how do replace Beirne? :crybaby:

Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail