It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 am

Further South African expansion into the Pro 14? 
World XV Player

Post Further South African expansion into the Pro 14?
See here: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-14622260

At least then they'll be with countries which share roughly the same time zones. They'll also compete more easily against Celtic and Italian teams than NZ ones.

Sun May 06, 2018 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Further South African expansion into the Pro 14?
This is good news

I was afraid that the SA interest might be waning when the Saracens SA consortium put their share up for sale

The next question will be EPCR membership for Euro competition.

As mentioned beore .. this already rumoured.

This will also mean franglais interest and participation, maybe even a Conference system which will really be a step forward.

NZ are not going to like that transition?

Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

I was afraid that the SA interest might be waning when the Saracens SA consortium put their share up for sale

This will also mean franglais interest and participation, maybe even a Conference system which will really be a step forward.

I think the South Africans would in the long term prefer European to Super Rugby because (a) the flying times are no greater and at least they'd be in the same time zones (b) there is more money in Europe, and if SA get their fair share they can retain more players and (c) they no longer have to be humiliated week in, week out by NZ teams. All the same, could this also put into question South Africa's participation in the Rugby Championship? If the provincial teams migrate northwards, why not the national team too? Could they eventually depart it and join the Six Nations instead?

Sun May 06, 2018 2:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

I don't think NZ will give a monkeys fupp

Sun May 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

Can they continue to be complacnt with less revenue than they achieve today?

That is their circumstance ... it is a busines issue not a current on the field performance one?

Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 pm
World XV Player

SANZAAR refute the repoted SA Club exodus

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/sanzaar ... 07-05-2018

Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 pm
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

Pretty much this, if it does impact revenue they’ll never let on anyway. I don’t think they are relying on the meat eaters financially and have probably already made plans for if they do go. I think it’d be hilarious if they do go into the 6Ns and clean up, won’t be easy but it’s definitely on the cards.
Regarding super rugby, be a shame to see them go but historically they’ve only had 1 or 2 decent teams anyway.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue May 08, 2018 2:34 am
Club Player

loosechange wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

Pretty much this, if it does impact revenue they’ll never let on anyway. I don’t think they are relying on the meat eaters financially and have probably already made plans for if they do go. I think it’d be hilarious if they do go into the 6Ns and clean up, won’t be easy but it’s definitely on the cards.
Regarding super rugby, be a shame to see them go but historically they’ve only had 1 or 2 decent teams anyway.

And clean up what? SA are garbage now, even Italy can beat them.

Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
loosechange wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

So can Japan. :D Doesn’t mean they are garbage. The meat eaters don’t stay rubbish for long, I’d still back them to beat any of the 6N teams regardless of their form, it’s not like the 6N teams are unbeatable. Ireland and the poms are good, but like SA they can turn to custard at any given time.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 am
Club Player

loosechange wrote:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes wrote:
loosechange wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
This is good news

So can Japan. :D Doesn’t mean they are garbage. The meat eaters don’t stay rubbish for long, I’d still back them to beat any of the 6N teams regardless of their form, it’s not like the 6N teams are unbeatable. Ireland and the poms are good, but like SA they can turn to custard at any given time.

If we were talking about the SA of old I'd agree with you, but not this current shower, SA as a rugby power house have gone down the toilet, same as their country.

Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 am
Profile E-mail