It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:20 am

2017-18 end of season thoughts? 
World XV Player

Post Re: 2017-18 end of season thoughts?
Scarlets - best season since going professional in my opinion. Yes they had one or two good cup runs in the 00's, but they were with a team that they could not afford and would ultimately have brought the business to its knees. The current team is competing at the highest level in Europe and seemingly within the region's budget, so well done.

Ospreys - Picked up after a poor start but the lack of an attacking game cost them to many games they would usually have won. Recent published account and forecast for the coming year are worrying, but some good players joining next season so fingers crossed for things picking up.

Blues - Got better as the season progressed and ended up with some silverwear which is very pleasing. Shame the coach is leaving as he seems to have moulded together a good squad which can play some attractive winning rugby albeit too late in the season to have earned them a decent position in the league table.

Dragons - What can I say, some of the best Dragons players are not being picked or are now playing for other regions and not too sure why that has happened. Phil Price for instance was surely one of the Dragons better props yet couldn't get a game; but he's superb for the Scarlets. Is Henson injured? Some good players coming in next season so hopefully the coaching staff will make the most of them.

Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am
World XV Player

Yes i do...

Scarlets punch above their weight against teams with bigger wage bills...but are leading the way for Welsh rugby

Blues...may go into decline next year?

Ospreys...shambles

Dragons...what are they for?

NAtional team...continue to frustrate and annoy.

Tue May 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Osps/Blues and Scarlets all had poor financial results (recently published) for last Season 2016/17 especially Cardiiff.

Interesting to see what this Season may bring ;)

Tue May 29, 2018 1:08 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Osps/Blues and Scarlets all had poor financial results (recently published) for last Season 2016/17 especially Cardiiff.

Interesting to see what this Season may bring ;)

interesting Tel...are these all the latest figures then?

Tue May 29, 2018 1:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

The most striking thing has been the gap between the Scarlets and the rest and for me the biggest difference looks to be coaching:

Scarlets have an excellent coaching team. :cyclops: :thumbright:

O's eventually got rid of Tandy, said they'd scour the world for a replacement and replaced him with, er, Tandy's assistant coach :scratch: (think I've got that right but if not feel free to correct me).
And given how completely clueless they looked in their loss to Ulster recently, am not hopeful of seeing much from them next season.

Blues ended the season strongly under a good (maybe very good coach?) who's left them it seems because he couldn't work with the Board / Owner at Cardiff (which has been an ongoing Groundhog Day saga ever since Dai Young left them God knows how many years ago). :clown:
They've replaced him with the assistant coach of a second rate Japanese club team; that coupled with their non -replacement of ageing key players such as Melon & Nick Williams does not bode well.

Dragons - shockingly bad season compounded it seemed to me on times by some baffling selections.
Much stronger squad for next season but the jury remains very much out on Jackman... :dontknow:

Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm
World XV Player

Old Second Row wrote:
The most striking thing has been the gap between the Scarlets and the rest and for me the biggest difference looks to be coaching:

Scarlets have an excellent coaching team. :cyclops: :thumbright:

O's eventually got rid of Tandy, said they'd scour the world for a replacement and replaced him with, er, Tandy's assistant coach :scratch: (think I've got that right but if not feel free to correct me).
And given how completely clueless they looked in their loss to Ulster recently, am not hopeful of seeing much from them next season.

Blues ended the season strongly under a good (maybe very good coach?) who's left them it seems because he couldn't work with the Board / Owner at Cardiff (which has been an ongoing Groundhog Day saga ever since Dai Young left them God knows how many years ago). :clown:
They've replaced him with the assistant coach of a second rate Japanese club team; that coupled with their non -replacement of ageing key players such as Melon & Nick Williams does not bode well.

Dragons - shockingly bad season compounded it seemed to me on times by some baffling selections.
Much stronger squad for next season but the jury remains very much out on Jackman... :dontknow:

Agree. The only team who seem to have the ambition in terms of selecting a coach and getting behind them are the Scarlets. Consequently they are the only team a neutral would think about following. The Ospreys are a source of disappointment, abd their lack of ambition in selecting a top coach is telling. Same with the Blues. Really not sure on the Dragons.

As I have said elsewhere, Jackman has bought himself an extra year and an easy ride in his first season by stating he would wait before signing anyone. As a pro rugby coach, you would think he should have tried to make one or two decent signings for his first year. The Dragons are now in the same position as last year. Let's hope this year is better for them.

Tue May 29, 2018 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Scarlets just short of a quality bench to compete with the very top teams.
Blues going nowhere until the Pieman stops sticking his oar in.
O's need to remove the management to succeed.
Dragons Fupped.

Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

And what are people's opinions on the other Pro 14 teams? I already summarised mine in the OP.

Wed May 30, 2018 7:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
And what are people's opinions on the other Pro 14 teams? I already summarised mine in the OP.

I don't really care about them...!

Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Scarlets just short of a quality bench to compete with the very top teams.
Blues going nowhere until the Pieman stops sticking his oar in.
O's need to remove the management to succeed.
Dragons Fupped.

pretty much sums up my view as well!

Thu May 31, 2018 8:49 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

The Dragons looked promising before Christmas and when they could get their first XV out were pretty competitive, e.g. getting draws against Ulster and Glasgow. Their horrendous injury list certainly didn't help but there were some questionable man management choices as well, with some players given limited game time (Phil Price, Angus O'Brien, Sarel Pretorius) who were probably better than the players getting picked in their places. Certainly it was made far too clear far too quickly which players were on their way out, which certainly wouldn't have helped morale. To their credit, the coaches have acknowledged that some of their decisions perhaps weren't the best.

On the plus side - and there are some positives - they have unearthed several young players that look like they have a real future at this level, e.g. Aaron Wainwright, Connor Edwards, Dan Babos; and some others that at least could press on. Some of the mid-rank players like James Benjamin or Lloyd Fairbrother have stepped up too and had good individual seasons despite the poor results (at the start of this season I would never have guessed that Fairbrother would have survived the cull), plus Cory Hill and particularly Elliot Dee have both really established themselves as Wales squad fixtures.

In terms of the players let go, it's hard to say any of them have really left the squad weaker. I would have kept O'Brien and Pretorius myself as the half back stables look very bare, and the Scarlets seem to be getting a good deal in Phil Price although he's never looked convincing at the Dragons; but looking at most of the players gone they are clearly not good enough for regional rugby, as evinced by the fact so many have gone to other clubs at a lower level. One or two - Carl Meyer perhaps - might be worth a punt as a squad player by another region but certainly won't be signing as first choice players anywhere. Whether all of their replacements at the Dragons will be better remains to be seen, but you've certainly got to admit a lot of the replacements are certainly better on paper and at very least the squad should have more depth next season - a big part of the reason why this one went so badly.

Thu May 31, 2018 11:46 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

That said, by having such a crap season Jackman's put himself under a lot of pressure for next year and I think if the results don't go the right way he will be looking very dodgy indeed by Christmas.

Thu May 31, 2018 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Is Sean Edwards really going to help out at Newport?

Thu May 31, 2018 3:13 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Is Sean Edwards really going to help out at Newport?

No, but he night help out at the Dragons :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

An entire season and not 1 minute of rugby watched.

I'm cured.

Read a few threads on here and they read like deja vu all over again ;)

Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm