It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 am

Regional coaches 
World XV Player

Post Regional coaches
Has anybody else realised next season none of the favoured 4 will have a Welshman as head coach , what have we come to.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Regional coaches
jimcardiff wrote:
Has anybody else realised next season none of the favoured 4 will have a Welshman as head coach , what have we come to.

Lack of quality of candidates, maybe?

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59 pm
World XV Player

Should be seen as a positive

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:

No, but it is not a negative either. Rather, it is value-neutral. The French and English leagues are full of outsiders as coaches, both Scottish and Italian pro teams are coached by outsiders, and of the Irish provinces only one of them has an Irish coach.

Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

will we ever get a Welsh coach for Wales again , not if the regions have anything to do with it, obviously.

Tue May 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Off the top of my head there are 2 English DoR/Head Coaches in England, 0 in Scotland, 1 in Ireland and zero here. There does seem to be a problem in the UK if not in Europe (I'm sure Tel could come up with the stats in France) about getting nationals from home countries into these jobs. Yet NZ export coaches all over the world, what are they doing right that we in the NH are doing wrong?

Tue May 01, 2018 2:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:

No, but it is not a negative either. Rather, it is value-neutral. The French and English leagues are full of outsiders as coaches, both Scottish and Italian pro teams are coached by outsiders, and of the Irish provinces only one of them has an Irish coach.

How is that a good thing for Welsh rugby? Surely it reflects that the leagues below are poor and that the step up from Premiership to Regional is too big.

Tue May 01, 2018 4:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

How is that a good thing for Welsh rugby? Surely it reflects that the leagues below are poor and that the step up from Premiership to Regional is too big.

I'm not saying it is a good thing, but the point is it is part of a much wider trend in the NH.

Tue May 01, 2018 5:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I'm not saying it is a good thing, but the point is it is part of a much wider trend in the NH.

I agree. But other than Young, we don't have a top level coach other than the Wales ones.

Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

It is ironic that Welsh and Irish senior coaches can only seem to find/want work outside their own countries with the exception of Leo Cullen. Admittedly, McFarland who,is taking over at a Ulster next season is nearest thing to a homegrown coach given he played and coached at Connacht and then head coach for Emerging Ireland and Wolfhounds. It’ll be interesting to see who they appoint at Connacht now that another Kiwi has been ousted. With the exception of Schmidt, the tide seems to have turned against Kiwi involvement in teams/coaches with players retiring, moving or being released. Nigel Carolan is already working there as the most senior. And already living in Galway is former Ireland coach, turned excellent pundit, Eddie O’Sullivan.

Irish coaches home/abroad
O’Shea - Italy
Bradley - Zebre
McCall - Saracens
Kidney - London Irish
Humphreys - Gloucester
Jackman - Dragons
Clarke - Ospreys
Cullen - Leinster
McFarland (quasi) - Ulster

There’s a few notable assistant coaches out there such as O’Gara at Crusaders, Geordan Murphy at Leics, Mike Prenderbast at Oyonnax, Jeremy Davidson at Brive.

Who’s out there from Wales?

Thu May 03, 2018 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pot Hale wrote:

Who’s out there from Wales?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43910166

Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 am
Profile E-mail