It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 am

Cheetahs Fire Sale 
World XV Player

Post Re: Cheetahs Fire Sale
Cymru am byth wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It should be noted that the current Drags and Blues attendance averages normally increase considerably with 'Judgement Day'

Good point regarding judgement day, are they considered Dragons and Blues home games only? I seem to remember this being the case? Either way, given the attendances and how long these have been going, I'm not sure they can be seen as 'artificially skweing the data' as they are a real part of their attendance.

Yes, Judgement day only relates. to Drags and Blues as home games (2 in 1)

I can't remember what the eventual deal was (I seem to remember that Icey and I had some discussion on the subject?)

Anyway, at the end of the day, gate revenue is usually the lowest revenue stream, although it is important in exciting sponsor and investment aspects and does have dragalong in commercial sales (this wouldn't necessarily apply in the case of judgement day though and a home advantage in terms of familiarity with environment and e.g pich imight be considered important).

The best verall Cheetahs average is affected by the out of normal first gate of nearly 14k.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 am
World XV Player

I've forgotten as well Tel, but to the best of my recollection, I think Scarlets and Ospreys passed up the opportunity to rotate the venue and have these games as their home games every other year. This seems to be the case as Os and Scarlets always play Drags and Blues at home (Liberty and PyS) every season.

WRU underwrote the events for the first few years and maybe still do, but the original plan was for the regions to fully take on board the event (including all risks) after the first few years.

So as I understand it, all the benefits from JD go to Dragons, Blues and of course the WRU.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 am
World XV Player

Lions e.g. in the S15 on Saturday draw a 22k gate.
Th Cheetahs support base is a totally different composition than the Lions.
Freestate stadium is in a relative smaller town compared to the Lions joburg which is a city (although its Ellispark which is downtown)
Furthermore a large part of the Cheetah's support base is from the surrounding farming community
They have a student component which is seasonal.
Unlike the Kings their other communities other than farmers, students and traditional rugby support around the Freestate stadium are largely soccer supporters. This gives them problems in meeting the quota count aswell in the sense that the half quota they should met are not into rugby at all.
On top of all there are serious security concerns on farms. Security have detoriated to such an extent that the farming population cannot take the risk in leaving the farm on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday for rugby anymore. That is now the result from politicians igniting radicals into a genocide frenzy to murder farmers
Cheetahs won't easily better on their 14k
They should go better on a QF or SF

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
The Cheetahs average attendance of around 7k isn't too bad compared to the other teams in the Pro14, placing them about the middle (better than pre-judgement Blues & Dragons, Connacht and all Scots & Italian teams), but the question is how it compares to the crowds the Cheetahs were getting in Super Rugby. I can't find stats for 2017 but this article (https://city-press.news24.com/Sport/sup ... s-20160702) seems to suggest the Cheetahs were getting similar crowds in 2016 Super Rugby to 2017-18 Pro14, whilst the Kings are (perhaps understandably) down about a 3rd.

The cheetahs average is nearer 6 than 7k.

These are current averages and for clubs other than SA the comparison % to the Pro12 lasr Season

In previous stats I have highlighted aspects to note incl ...

Some of these stats are capacity e.g Glasgow
Judgement day will inflate the Drags and Blues stats
The TOP14 is 'irregular' compared to Pro12 ...it is not round robin.
Some team like Munster play at lower capacity venues whilst some e.g Leinster have a big bonanza v Munster at the Aviva

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 pm
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PS it goes without saying that success can provide quite a KICK, cue Scarlets

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 pm
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Fingal wrote:
Has South Africa taken to the Pro14? I know it was a rushed job to join but it seems that after the initial hype the Saffers have gone quiet on the Pro14. Are the Cheetahs getting increased crowds at the games?

This is Cheetahs attendance taken from the Pro14 stats
It is rough and ready in haste.
The first big attendance was, ironically, against Zebre in the first match.
Stats of attendance will normally reflect opposition etc ...
The average is shown

Trust this is ok?

PS for the record the Regions as of 24/03/18 were
Drags 5162 Blues 6316 Osps 6872 Scars 9089 (not audited)

Thanks Tel. :thumbright:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Lions e.g. in the S15 on Saturday draw a 22k gate.
Th Cheetahs support base is a totally different composition than the Lions.
Freestate stadium is in a relative smaller town compared to the Lions joburg which is a city (although its Ellispark which is downtown)
Furthermore a large part of the Cheetah's support base is from the surrounding farming community
They have a student component which is seasonal.
Unlike the Kings their other communities other than farmers, students and traditional rugby support around the Freestate stadium are largely soccer supporters. This gives them problems in meeting the quota count aswell in the sense that the half quota they should met are not into rugby at all.
On top of all there are serious security concerns on farms. Security have detoriated to such an extent that the farming population cannot take the risk in leaving the farm on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday for rugby anymore. That is now the result from politicians igniting radicals into a genocide frenzy to murder farmers
Cheetahs won't easily better on their 14k
They should go better on a QF or SF

The most disturbing thing about this is the complete silence from the media, I looked it up myself and the genocide warning is imminent, yet you don't hear a single thing about it in the media, 70,000 whites murdered since the end of Apartheid, yet it seems the gigantic media machine isn't interested in the slightest, unbelievable.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:54 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

I thought the Cheetahs were a cricket team !!!

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

apart from the 2 sa teams mentioned that are ready to partake in international cpmpetition and the Cheetahs Kings and 4 x S15 teams (bulls stormers lions sharks) there is a remaining Currie cup team left in the cold. They are the North West Leopards. They also performed better than the Kings in the Curie cup and they have the SA club champs (Rustenburg Impalas) aswell as Varsity cup finalist (Potch).
promo/rele in sa for pro14 the best way forward
Amazingly sa has 400 players playing abroad. With the said targeting of farmers and the quota laws I am amazed at sa rugby players of all colour keeping our flag up in Pro14 and the S15

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 pm
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
So apparently the Ospreys are signing the Cheetahs' TH prop next season (see BBC). This is along with the Scarlets taking their 8 and 15, and several others who have been prominent this seasons signing elsewhere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... _transfers).

It looks like a lot of their squad this year is leaving. I don't know anything about any of their replacement signings but they all seem to be coming from a lower level (Currie Cup, Japan, ProD2).

Cheetahs have been competitive in the Pro14 this season and will probably make the playoffs (in stark contrast to their SA cousins the Kings) but does this mean they will slip down next season; and what are the prospects for continued SA involvement in the Pro14 if ths happens?

Does someone with a better knowledge of South African rugby have any idea of what's going on?

The Cheetahs have tremendous depth. For years they have been losing players to other SA teams. These current losses will be shrugged off. :D

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 am
Profile E-mail