It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:53 am

Cheetahs Fire Sale 
Regional Player

Post Cheetahs Fire Sale
So apparently the Ospreys are signing the Cheetahs' TH prop next season (see BBC). This is along with the Scarlets taking their 8 and 15, and several others who have been prominent this seasons signing elsewhere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... _transfers).

It looks like a lot of their squad this year is leaving. I don't know anything about any of their replacement signings but they all seem to be coming from a lower level (Currie Cup, Japan, ProD2).

Cheetahs have been competitive in the Pro14 this season and will probably make the playoffs (in stark contrast to their SA cousins the Kings) but does this mean they will slip down next season; and what are the prospects for continued SA involvement in the Pro14 if ths happens?

Does someone with a better knowledge of South African rugby have any idea of what's going on?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Cheetahs Fire Sale
Interesting..... would like to know myself ??

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

For the Kings the only way is up, yet their only signing so far is Sarel Pretorius from the Dragons. You'd expect their results to improve a little as the team gels and the coaches get to do proper preseason work with them (considering the team was basiclaly thrown together in a couple of weeks last summer) but without some serious quality signings it's hard to see them not finishing at the bottom of their conference yet again. So if the Cheetahs take a big step back it won't look good for the expansion experiment.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
For the Kings the only way is up, yet their only signing so far is Sarel Pretorius from the Dragons. You'd expect their results to improve a little as the team gels and the coaches get to do proper preseason work with them (considering the team was basiclaly thrown together in a couple of weeks last summer) but without some serious quality signings it's hard to see them not finishing at the bottom of their conference yet again. So if the Cheetahs take a big step back it won't look good for the expansion experiment.

Appears to have been a shop window for even more talent to leave SA rugby. :dontknow:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have mentioned in the 'Saracens up for sale' stream that that may be because of a downturn in expectation of a more fully fledged SA move to the N Hemp.

The initial Saracens investment was to have a SA base in the UK and it was also thought that this was a strategic investment for SA Rugby eventual migration to N Hemp (there had been dissatisfaction over Super Rugby aspects etc and the time zone etc was more welcoming).

It was also mentioned in the press that the EPCR had been in talks with SARFU supposedly with entry into a Conference System within the auspices of the EPCR and consistent with growing the International Club Rugby game.

Maybe SA interest is waning and the Pro 14 will just be left with a stub although Boke has posted here that there will be a stronger team in Top14 to replace the weak Kings ...

Hmmm ....

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm
World XV Player

Interesting news in SA Rugby is that the exec of one of the better teams than the Kings but that are not playing internationally made it into the top exec of saru
Well 2 teams will join uk competitions later the year, Steval Pumas and Griquas
In future the prospect is then that one of these 2 teams move up to Pro14 to join Cheetahs and Kings moving to Anglo/Welsh. Watch this space...
Cheetahs Currie Cup team are not very low on par to their Pro14. With the money coming in they will still be competitive. The 3 players they lost are not in too high regard except nr8 (my view). Their junior/academy levels are also strong.
Politics more than money can actually play a role in the sense they are a farming community team and you guys by this time know all about what is happening to farmers in SA (which is part of their breeding ground)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:13 am
Regional Player

Quote:
Well 2 teams will join uk competitions later the year, Steval Pumas and Griquas

I've seen you claiming this several times but not heard or seen anything else about it anywhere else. I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if this is certainly happening then they're definitely keeping it quiet. And elsewhere I've also seen it suggested that the Anglo-Welsh cup might be scrapped altogether, in which case said teams can't possibly be joining it - plus it's not exactly a high profile or a popular competition.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby ... ook-north/

they have to accommodate these 2 pro teams in international competition somehow and both are better performers than the Kings

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:41 pm
Regional Player

That's very vague and doesn't contain anything that definitively confirms that it will happen, or even that it's likely, just that *if* opportunities arise then they will be the frachises to be put forward. That's the same as saying that *if* Wales ever got a 5th pro team, North Wales would be the preferred destination - that doesn't mean it's actually in the works.

If the Anglo-Welsh is scrapped it will be pretty hard for them to join it; also I'm not sure why they would want to join it, given it's hardly a profitable or popular competition. Joining an expanded Pro14 would surely be more likely.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Has South Africa taken to the Pro14? I know it was a rushed job to join but it seems that after the initial hype the Saffers have gone quiet on the Pro14. Are the Cheetahs getting increased crowds at the games?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Look it up, the website is still working.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:37 am
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Has South Africa taken to the Pro14? I know it was a rushed job to join but it seems that after the initial hype the Saffers have gone quiet on the Pro14. Are the Cheetahs getting increased crowds at the games?

This is Cheetahs attendance taken from the Pro14 stats
It is rough and ready in haste.
The first big attendance was, ironically, against Zebre in the first match.
Stats of attendance will normally reflect opposition etc ...
The average is shown

Trust this is ok?

PS for the record the Regions as of 24/03/18 were
Drags 5162 Blues 6316 Osps 6872 Scars 9089 (not audited)

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:08 am
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It should be noted that the current Drags and Blues attendance averages normally increase considerably with 'Judgement Day'

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It should be noted that the current Drags and Blues attendance averages normally increase considerably with 'Judgement Day'

Good point regarding judgement day, are they considered Dragons and Blues home games only? I seem to remember this being the case? Either way, given the attendances and how long these have been going, I'm not sure they can be seen as 'artificially skweing the data' as they are a real part of their attendance.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:37 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

The Cheetahs average attendance of around 7k isn't too bad compared to the other teams in the Pro14, placing them about the middle (better than pre-judgement Blues & Dragons, Connacht and all Scots & Italian teams), but the question is how it compares to the crowds the Cheetahs were getting in Super Rugby. I can't find stats for 2017 but this article (https://city-press.news24.com/Sport/sup ... s-20160702) seems to suggest the Cheetahs were getting similar crowds in 2016 Super Rugby to 2017-18 Pro14, whilst the Kings are (perhaps understandably) down about a 3rd.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 am
Profile E-mail