It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
BBC fails to reach Pro 14 rugby TV deal 
World XV Player

Post Re: BBC fails to reach Pro 14 rugby TV deal
This is the rub, will putting the pro 14 on pay to sell more ,sky or whoever packages , I think not , but I am a tight arse who won't pay unless for anything unless I really have to.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

jimcardiff wrote:
This is the rub, will putting the pro 14 on pay to sell more ,sky or whoever packages , I think not , but I am a tight arse who won't pay unless for anything unless I really have to.

Same with me. If I paid for this I would then have to justify the times I didn't want to watch. It is all a con to get you parked on the sofa staring at the box. There is much more to life and it isn't for me.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am
Profile E-mail
REF

Sponsorship down? Especially local ones.

Twitter & Facebook

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

How long is this deal for?

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

You know, it may be off topic but belongs here, I still do not enjoy these 'international ' club games as much as I did the old ones.
Swansea v Llanelli, Ponty V Cardiff Neef v Newport etc and only on 'local' tv.

OK, the standard was lower, but to me still far more involving and enjoyable.

The quest for international coverage of international games is making the follower base smaller and smaller. The only time non Welsh will watch a game with a welsh team is when they play the watchers side.
I really do not give 2 hoots for watching a South African side, it is just a filler because there is no other game on to me.

They seem to be aiming for the stars and shooting themselves in the foot.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

They seem to think they have something the rest of the rugby world wants , let's wait and see.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:

Leight, rest assured you will never disappoint me. :D But don't tel everyone I voted Tory mun It was a long time ago now. :oops: Lets take your points one by one.

sorry rob!!!

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
[
1. Of course we pay our licence fee but that fee is £147 per year or £12.25 a month for EVERYTHING. The rugby is a fraction of what’s shown on TV so it can only be a fraction of that £12.25 that goes into rugby. But on the other hand if your saying that we already pay to watch rugby then you at least agree with the principle that you should pay to watch games - so all we're doing is haggling over the price.
No I don't. it should be accessable to ALL who want to watch it. OAPs and young people who cant get to matches. What about them?
2. You may say it’s a people’s game in Wales but this isn't about Wales, there are five nations involved in the Pro14. It’s NOT the people’s game in these other countries. You say ‘if you are suggesting that TV funding will solve all of rugby's problems you have stretched naivety to breaking point!’ May I respectfully point out that I never said this.
Its still a game for the ordinary man and woman in Wales.

3. You are assuming here and your assumption is wrong. If you did as I suggested and googled what the TV licence has to pay for then you would have to change your view and agree with me.
NO it is not wrong but its my opinion.

4. Yes those games were on Terrestrial – the big games as I pointed out are the European games which were on Sky and BT sport.
I'm not talking about Europe...just the Pro 14.

5. You say you don’t understand my logic for point 5. I can see why you don’t understand it because your reply shows you thought I said something else. ok!

Anyway Leight, same as you, I liked my rugby viewing as it was. I'm no evangelist for pay to view - just putting forward the argument as to why I think it is and has to happen.

Fair enough. I respect your views...you already know that!

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:57 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
British & Irish Lions Player

Until we know the actual numbers its difficult to be entirely objective, is the problem that the beeb didnt make a proper commercial offer, or is it that pro14 got greedy.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eborr wrote:
Until we know the actual numbers its difficult to be entirely objective, is the problem that the beeb didnt make a proper commercial offer, or is it that pro14 got greedy.

I'm not sure I understand the choices you've given us there. There was a procurement process which would have been conducted and evaluated in a manner to get the most advantageous outcome for the Pro14. I'm sure the beeb would have put in a proper commercial offer but I don't think greed came into it unless you think the Pro14 should have accepted the beeb's offer regardless of how good the other offers were.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
eborr wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the choices you've given us there. There was a procurement process which would have been conducted and evaluated in a manner to get the most advantageous outcome for the Pro14. I'm sure the beeb would have put in a proper commercial offer but I don't think greed came into it unless you think the Pro14 should have accepted the beeb's offer regardless of how good the other offers were.

Hard to know what the 'best' offer is. Weighing up the exposure of the league to the public vs impact on ticket sales. If it is predicted the new deal will improve both and the amount of money coming in, then it probably is a good deal. However, it is a gamble.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
eborr wrote:

Hard to know what the 'best' offer is. Weighing up the exposure of the league to the public vs impact on ticket sales. If it is predicted the new deal will improve both and the amount of money coming in, then it probably is a good deal. However, it is a gamble.
The Pro14 would have set out criteria by which to evaluate the bids which would no doubt take your points into consideration Cab. With regard to exposure to the public, they will have noted no doubt that the English Premiership is flourishing without the exposure that comes from terrestrial TV.

From an advertising/sponsorship perspective, the TV viewing numbers are more important than the gate numbers. People at the ground can't see the sponsors logos on shirts but TV viewers get to see them close up. You need the crowd to generate an atmosphere which helps in bringing in the TV viewers so both are important of course - there has to be a balance.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:47 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
eborr wrote:

The Pro14 would have set out criteria by which to evaluate the bids which would no doubt take your points into consideration Cab. With regard to exposure to the public, they will have noted no doubt that the English Premiership is flourishing without the exposure that comes from terrestrial TV.

From an advertising/sponsorship perspective, the TV viewing numbers are more important than the gate numbers. People at the ground can't see the sponsors logos on shirts but TV viewers get to see them close up. You need the crowd to generate an atmosphere which helps in bringing in the TV viewers so both are important of course - there has to be a balance.

Agree, yes there is a procurement process but the model for the Pro 14 rugby doesn't necessarily work for all of the nations involved in the same way. For example, the Irish provinces probably have more in common with the English clubs than the Welsh Regions. I.e. they have a much larger fan base. However, the demographics and socio economic make up of the English clubs and the geography is different to them.

The point I am making is that there is not an obvious answer and although it will have been modelled, I suspect it is a crude model that only broadly addresses the subtleties of the different teams and countries, using a comparison to different leagues and different sports which may or may not be appropriate.

My hunch is that it isn't a good idea. Yours is that it is a good idea. At this point, I don't think either of us know but I do think it is a gamble.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Gate revenue is a low % revenue.
Sponsorship and investment is what the Club attraction should be all about.
Media contract amount the big League revenue decider and there the comparison lies v the franglais.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Gate revenue is a low % revenue.
Sponsorship and investment is what the Club attraction should be all about.
Media contract amount the big League revenue decider and there the comparison lies v the franglais.

But if bugger all people go to the games because no one is watching it on pay TV, how are you going to maintain sponsorship and justify the TV rights in the future? This jas a high risk of being a viscious circle.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next