It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
BBC fails to reach Pro 14 rugby TV deal 
World XV Player

Post Re: BBC fails to reach Pro 14 rugby TV deal
Yes that's a good point about the multiple channels - It's not good from the sofa fan perspecive that its spread around so much. I don't mind spending £10 per month to watch rugby (I do already) but I won't be purchasing 3 lots of £10.

My strategy will be to pay for the channel that has the Pro14 and I will go to the Gym to watch European rugby as and when I feel like it. So for £10 a month which is what I pay now, I will still see all the pro rugby I want to see.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10 am
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Without getting into the complexities of things...

It’s just dissapointing that a sport I watch for free, and enjoy watching despite the debatable standard, is no longer available on the tv channels I currently have

This now means rugby is spread over three pay per view channels... sky, BT and this new channel. It sounds like the new channel will cover the domestic game with European games split over sky and BT

This compares poorly with the football which is available on two pay per view channels... sky and BT with each channel covering a range of important competitions... e.g premier league, FA cup, league cup and champions league. Therefore even if you don’t take up a BT subscription there is more than enough football on sky (especially with a football heavy rolling news channel).

Rugby doesn’t have multiple competitions at domestic level. It has two. Split over three pay per view channels. Madness

You can see this, I can see this, and presumably the sponsors can see it. I think the game will either change drastically, or fold and need to reform in a different configuration, such as combining with another league.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

simondavis wrote:
No BBC2 Wales here on cable so no loss to me. IPlayer is crap on the day. Bite the bullet folks or go to the pub or local club. Subscribe and save the beer dosh.

Lets be honest you have to put things into perspective. 10 pounds a month is nothing considering it costs you 2.50 per week.
If rugby is your interest and enjoyment then spend it. Like I said earlier I took up motorsport in 2003 and ride Enduro off road competitions in the Midlands and North Wales. Break down of my outgoings per event.

60 pounds entry fee
40 pounds fuel for the comp
60 new rear tyre per comp
60 new chain sprocket and chain per comp
20 lunch and meal at worst case.

So I do 6 of these comps a year say rounding off to 250 quid per comp, you can see where my money goes. But I don't moan about the cost as I have great satisfaction out of competing.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Agree that it is not a lot of money , but it is a choice we have to make and that is a step to pay for something we have been having for free.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No way I'll be paying £10 a month but maybe S4C will screen some games and / or some sort of highlights package?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:11 pm
Junior Player

So if someone either has SKY or virgin media at home do they get this part of the package or is this 10 pound a separate subscription on top?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

TrueGrit wrote:
So if someone either has SKY or virgin media at home do they get this part of the package or is this 10 pound a separate subscription on top?

It's an extra subscription.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
[]Not difficult to respond to those points Leight.

1. Something for nothing is a reference to the fact that TV viewers get their BBC rugby viewing for free.
2. Not sure what 'the people's game' means but lets roll with it for a minute, - rugby may well be the people's game but pro rugby needs funding.
3. The TV licence costs £147 per year. Google what that is meant to cover and you will see that we get the rugby more or less for free.
4. The big games are not on terrestrial TV at all. All European games (the pinnacle of the club game) are on Sky and BT Sport and they are very popular.
5. I don't have proof that SA audiences are turning to the pro14 but the SA deal brought £6m into the Pro14. And the fact that a pay to view company has been prepared to put a lot of money into the game based on this year's audiences and future potential, then that shows me that the game is growing.

Sorry to disappoint you Rob, but heres my reply anyway....

1 But they don't get it for FREE! We pay the license that FUNDS the BBC to pay for these rights...come on, you must realise that!

2 The Peoples game means, and I'm staggered you don't understand this, is its a working class game in Wales compared to the other three Home Nations. Yes Pro rugby needs funding but if you are suggesting that TV funding will solve all of rugbys problems you have stretched naivety to breaking point!

3 I can only assume the license fee is used to fund paying for TV rights. the BBC must get revenue from elsewhere but from the license fee it gets the bulk of its income, i would think? it is NOT free Rob! Duw duw man!

4 The Pro 12 final was on terrestrial last year. the Welsh derbies are on BBC or S4C. Unless you mean Zebre v Benneton??

5 THe game is growing because we have two South African teams in it. Odd remark? These stadiums in SA are hardly full. PyS is never full only for Boxing Day. THe Liberty Stadium deserves its title of The Library. NEither the CAP or RP are full. I don't understand your logic. The Irish crowds seem to be better because they have a better product on show by looking at their European Cup success.

So sorry Rob you haven't dealt with my points at all effectively. But you are entitled to think that or to claim it or to have those opinions. You are optimistic and positive i will grant you. But the disgrace of the deal with Premier sports will come back to hit Welsh rugby is my take on it. Who will turn out to be right only time will tell. I'm a bit disappointed though in someone like yourself who is fair minded (though did vote Tory so that questions it a bit!) who cant see this deal for what it is...a short term grab for money from desperate clubs who are struggling. It will lessen the impact of those able to watch matches live given the economic climate we live in, mainly caused by the Party you once or twice voted for. I will never vote Tory. That is the real world in my view and not a changing world at all....if it is its for the worse and not the better.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
Honest question, since when has rugby been the peoples game :dontknow:

duw duw Keith. Where have you been living since the 1880s??? Dear me. Working class in Wales , toffs game in Sais land, middle class game for solicitors in Ireland and Scotland!

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
Keith L wrote:
Honest question, since when has rugby been the peoples game :dontknow:

duw duw Keith. Where have you been living since the 1880s??? Dear me. Working class in Wales , toffs game in Sais land, middle class game for solicitors in Ireland and Scotland!

Its in - They came to mock, but stayed to play. Don't remember the author though sorry.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TrueGrit wrote:
simondavis wrote:
No BBC2 Wales here on cable so no loss to me. IPlayer is crap on the day. Bite the bullet folks or go to the pub or local club. Subscribe and save the beer dosh.

Lets be honest you have to put things into perspective. 10 pounds a month is nothing considering it costs you 2.50 per week.
If rugby is your interest and enjoyment then spend it. Like I said earlier I took up motorsport in 2003 and ride Enduro off road competitions in the Midlands and North Wales. Break down of my outgoings per event.

60 pounds entry fee
40 pounds fuel for the comp
60 new rear tyre per comp
60 new chain sprocket and chain per comp
20 lunch and meal at worst case.

So I do 6 of these comps a year say rounding off to 250 quid per comp, you can see where my money goes. But I don't moan about the cost as I have great satisfaction out of competing.

But it isn't only £10 a month (which is £120 a year - not insignificant to me). You also need the subscription for the Sky or whatever, plus the £10.

Secondly, it's not per month necessarily, if you only watch for the rugby season. If that is all you are interested in, the May to August months (or whenever the off season is) are a waste of money.

Further, granted, we all have our opinions, but it is plain wrong that I am going to prefer it on pay per view than on the BBC.

Finally, sure, the BBC isn't free. But if we assume that the £120 outlined above of my license fee is going on rugby, then what I get for the remaining £27 is good value.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Have a look at the list of other stuff Premier sport will be covering. Nascar and Ice Hockey. Can't see too many people in this country tripping over themselves to subscribe.

http://www.premiersports.com/all-events/

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 pm
World XV Player

who negotiated this, WRU or PRW?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 pm
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you Rob, but heres my reply anyway....

1 But they don't get it for FREE! We pay the license that FUNDS the BBC to pay for these rights...come on, you must realise that!

2 The Peoples game means, and I'm staggered you don't understand this, is its a working class game in Wales compared to the other three Home Nations. Yes Pro rugby needs funding but if you are suggesting that TV funding will solve all of rugbys problems you have stretched naivety to breaking point!

3 I can only assume the license fee is used to fund paying for TV rights. the BBC must get revenue from elsewhere but from the license fee it gets the bulk of its income, i would think? it is NOT free Rob! Duw duw man!

4 The Pro 12 final was on terrestrial last year. the Welsh derbies are on BBC or S4C. Unless you mean Zebre v Benneton??

5 THe game is growing because we have two South African teams in it. Odd remark? These stadiums in SA are hardly full. PyS is never full only for Boxing Day. THe Liberty Stadium deserves its title of The Library. NEither the CAP or RP are full. I don't understand your logic. The Irish crowds seem to be better because they have a better product on show by looking at their European Cup success.

So sorry Rob you haven't dealt with my points at all effectively. But you are entitled to think that or to claim it or to have those opinions. You are optimistic and positive i will grant you. But the disgrace of the deal with Premier sports will come back to hit Welsh rugby is my take on it. Who will turn out to be right only time will tell. I'm a bit disappointed though in someone like yourself who is fair minded (though did vote Tory so that questions it a bit!) who cant see this deal for what it is...a short term grab for money from desperate clubs who are struggling. It will lessen the impact of those able to watch matches live given the economic climate we live in, mainly caused by the Party you once or twice voted for. I will never vote Tory. That is the real world in my view and not a changing world at all....if it is its for the worse and not the better.

Leight, rest assured you will never disappoint me. :D But don't tel everyone I voted Tory mun It was a long time ago now. :oops: Lets take your points one by one.

1. Of course we pay our licence fee but that fee is £147 per year or £12.25 a month for EVERYTHING. The rugby is a fraction of what’s shown on TV so it can only be a fraction of that £12.25 that goes into rugby. But on the other hand if your saying that we already pay to watch rugby then you at least agree with the principle that you should pay to watch games - so all we're doing is haggling over the price.

2. You may say it’s a people’s game in Wales but this isn't about Wales, there are five nations involved in the Pro14. It’s NOT the people’s game in these other countries. You say ‘if you are suggesting that TV funding will solve all of rugby's problems you have stretched naivety to breaking point!’ May I respectfully point out that I never said this.

3. You are assuming here and your assumption is wrong. If you did as I suggested and googled what the TV licence has to pay for then you would have to change your view and agree with me.

4. Yes those games were on Terrestrial – the big games as I pointed out are the European games which were on Sky and BT sport.

5. You say you don’t understand my logic for point 5. I can see why you don’t understand it because your reply shows you thought I said something else.

Anyway Leight, same as you, I liked my rugby viewing as it was. I'm no evangelist for pay to view - just putting forward the argument as to why I think it is and has to happen.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Have a look at the list of other stuff Premier sport will be covering. Nascar and Ice Hockey. Can't see too many people in this country tripping over themselves to subscribe.

http://www.premiersports.com/all-events/

I looked through the list, and there is not one thing on there they could pay me to watch. Ah well, rugby has been crap for a while anyway. Wont miss it that much. (well I wont miss the very few games I am interested in anyway :pirate: )

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:53 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next