It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
BBC fails to reach Pro 14 rugby TV deal 
Site Admin

Post Re: BBC fails to reach Pro 14 rugby TV deal
ICEverything wrote:
eborr wrote:
Until we know the actual numbers its difficult to be entirely objective, is the problem that the beeb didnt make a proper commercial offer, or is it that pro14 got greedy.

I'm not sure I understand the choices you've given us there. There was a procurement process which would have been conducted and evaluated in a manner to get the most advantageous outcome for the Pro14. I'm sure the beeb would have put in a proper commercial offer but I don't think greed came into it unless you think the Pro14 should have accepted the beeb's offer regardless of how good the other offers were.

The BBC as a whole were never interested in bidding for he Pro 14, the regional BBC companies would have put in a bid for games but the Pro 14 board opted to expose their product to a minority Irish channel.

Interestingly this isn't he same company that has another channel on Sky called Free Sports somI imagine some games may well end upmon there.

If you look at Premier Sports, most sports that go down their root do not renew. I think they've lost pretty much every sport they had at some point and pick up the ones that neither Sky nor BT want.

I don't watch the Pro 14, haven't done for years with any regularity somit won't effect me but if anyone does want to watch the games send me a PM and I'll let you know where you can watch it for a fraction the cost and have access to Sky and BT too plus all the American and Canadian channels

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

This is such a short-sighted deal, I could understand them selling to Sky but Premier Sports is a ludicrous step. If there are no Secondary rights sold to a FTA channel it will probably kill the game in Wales in the long term

The Sky deal with the ECB has been the deathknell for many cricket clubs. Grassroots cricket is dying, teams are folding, amalgamating or simply reducing the number of teams they put out on the weekend, Sunday cricket has pretty much disappeared from the landscape.

If you cut the roots of the tree then eventually the tree will die. The rich will get richer forma while but it will eventually come back and bite them on the arse.

As I said above, it doesn't bother me as I have log since stopped caring about regional rugby but the ones who have stuck by it will now in all probability go and find something else to do

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:26 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

NewSouthWales wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:
It’s an absolutely disgraceful decision. Sorry Rob your deluded on this one. It’s a Disaster for the profile of rugby in Wales. Very short-sighted in becoming pay-per-view. The profile of boxers, cricketers and golfers has gone way down since it went free to watch to satellite. Shocking but it's all about money. Australia used to or perhaps still have "protected" sports that have be shown free to air on national TV, shows how much the government really cares about sport in this country. The "olympic legacy" being a great example, all soundbites and no foundation. May have an upward effect on the crowd to start but what about kids who are casual watchers to start? How does this effect the dragons? Who would pay to see them at the moment or most of the welsh regions? Where is the Labour Party on this? The people’s game in Wales has been taken away from the people. Years of austerity won’t make people buy this channel ffs.

No, Aus. don't have sports that have to be on FTA TV. It's just that ppl actually want to watch RL and unbelievably AwFuL. There would be uproar if Origin wasn't on FTA. The pressure on politicians would be such that...

In effect, granted, there is a rule about sport on FTA TV in Aus. But that's only because sport means far more to Australia than it does to people in England and Wales. Mostly a bunch of vaginas living up here in Europe see (come on Donald, build that wall). Obviously not enough ppl give a shit about RU. And of course hardly any RU on FTA TV in Aus.
you've clearly never heard of Australia's anti-syphoning rules then

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:38 am
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

Andrew (Scum V) wrote:
This is such a short-sighted deal, I could understand them selling to Sky but Premier Sports is a ludicrous step. If there are no Secondary rights sold to a FTA channel it will probably kill the game in Wales in the long term

The Sky deal with the ECB has been the deathknell for many cricket clubs. Grassroots cricket is dying, teams are folding, amalgamating or simply reducing the number of teams they put out on the weekend, Sunday cricket has pretty much disappeared from the landscape.

If you cut the roots of the tree then eventually the tree will die. The rich will get richer forma while but it will eventually come back and bite them on the arse.

As I said above, it doesn't bother me as I have log since stopped caring about regional rugby but the ones who have stuck by it will now in all probability go and find something else to do

I believe S4C will still show some matches.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9