It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am

George North: Scarlets in the market for Wales & Lions wing 
World XV Player

Post George North: Scarlets in the market for Wales & Lions wing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42686831

Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac says they have spoken to Wales wing George North about him joining them for 2018-19.

Pivac had previously said they were not in the market for a back-three signing.

North is leaving Northampton at the end of 2017-18 and has already pledged to return to Wales.

Dragons have also spoken to North, but Cardiff Blues say they want to strengthen their pack while Ospreys have made no comment on the player.

George North left Scarlets for Northampton in 2013 and because he will return to Wales on a National Dual Contract, the Llanelli-based team have the first refusal on his future.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: George North: Scarlets in the market for Wales & Lions wing
BigRed wrote:

Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac says they have spoken to Wales wing George North about him joining them for 2018-19.

North is leaving Northampton at the end of 2017-18 and has already pledged to return to Wales.

Dragons have also spoken to North, but Cardiff Blues say they want to strengthen their pack while Ospreys have made no comment on the player.

George North left Scarlets for Northampton in 2013 and because he will return to Wales on a National Dual Contract, the Llanelli-based team have the first refusal on his future.

Been done.

So was George.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:24 am
Club Player

Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:

Been done.

So was George.

in what way?
do you think he is valued at the same rate as when he left for Northampton? more or less?
you think he's bee stitched up?
you think he'd prefer to go to another welsh club?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Personally, I'd like to see him go to The Dragons. The Scarlets have strength in the wing position and The Dragons don't and I think it would be good to see a more level playing field of talent across the regions. It's a bit mad that Cardiff have three international sevens for example and The Scarlets the best two scrum halves after Rhys Webb.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see him go to The Dragons. The Scarlets have strength in the wing position and The Dragons don't and I think it would be good to see a more level playing field of talent across the regions. It's a bit mad that Cardiff have three international sevens for example and The Scarlets the best two scrum halves after Rhys Webb.

I tend to support this but not sure that the welsh rugby evonomy can really support 4 front line Regions?

If one supports bringing as many Welsh plyers back to Wales then it is sensible but extent of absence pn International duties and cost is debatable

I wish I knew what the overall strategy is or if one exists.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 pm
Club Player

In theory I'd support an even spread. If north went to the dragons he'd get more game time, the impact of player drain during international periods would be shared more evenly and the region could spend the hefty wages buying in positions we need, or in development.
Not sure how the the club's would view their academy investments being taken out of their hands though. With Scott Williams and Aled leaving for ospreylia the share-and-share-alike trend might be starting.

Word is Faletau will be leaving bath at the end of next season...if so, and with their recent acquisition of moriarty.... Would Dragons hog the number 8s? Or would they share with turksville..
.swap u one north for one Toby

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Kiwis do it. They've been doing it for years, spreading the playing talent where it's needed. Even the Highlanders won the super 14 after years of being the equivalent of The Dragons, the weakest province. I get you on the academies, must be an absolute bummer if you've developed a player through the youth system and he goes to another region. But it would apply to all of the regions so where's the harm? Surely the overall strength and competitiveness of Welsh regions would improve. I can't see the harm.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:42 pm
Club Player

perhaps one answer would be to centralize control of the academies. we're probably not far off that now, i can think of a few lads who ended up in the dragons academy....and not because they're guff, they're not....but don't know why....whether they've been farmed out or because their chosen position was over-subscribed, whether they thought their prospects would be better....it cant be because the girls are prettier around those parts.

In theory im all for the new-zealand model, Id rather watch 4 talented sides run out on the weekend than see the talent all sitting on the benches, or even further back, of two teams.

How about a ruling that first refusal for returnees defaults to the worst performing team rather than club of origin?
not as an alternative like, but on the issue of exiles.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Would take North if we could offload Halfpenny to Newport

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm
Club Player

Langland Exile wrote:

would just give halfpenny gratis....save the wages... :clap:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

sassuwunnu wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

I think we need to give Ha'penny a bit more time. TBQH I'd prefer to see him on the wing. I think he would be more useful there. I like Patchell at FB as I think he has more vision from the back than Ha'penny.
Whereas Ha'penny has an ability to come into the line from the wing thereby creating an overlap. He often does this from FB as well but I do have a problem with his vision from the back.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

I prefer McNicholl at full-back, gives him reign to attack from anywhere. I like Patch at 10, he's getting better and better.
agree that Halfpence would be more comfortable at wing, but i dont think he's got the speed anymore; he'd be a great short-range finisher though.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

Rather harsh.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

sassuwunnu wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

These are both quite shitty comments. Halfpenny is a decent player, whether he is world class or not anymore is a different question. He does a pretty decent job for the Scarlets, and is a player you want in the squad surely?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
sassuwunnu wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

These are both quite shitty comments. Halfpenny is a decent player, whether he is world class or not anymore is a different question. He does a pretty decent job for the Scarlets, and is a player you want in the squad surely?

I have always been a big Halfpenny fan, but would accept the statement being changed to Halfpenny was a world class player.
This year, I see him as no more than reasonable in a regional side. His game is way down on what it has been.

Not throwing him on the scrap heap, but he needs 'fixing'. This is probably through a good pre-season next year, and may be a bit of protecting this year. Give him a rest unless wee need him I say. Newport may be just what he needs.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm
Profile E-mail