It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Pro 14: Ospreys v Blues (Sat 06.01.2018) 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Pro 14: Ospreys v Blues (Sat 06.01.2018)
Cymru am byth wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I think you overestimate the degree to which the problems start at a young age. Not saying that I entirely disagree with you - I am astonished at how poor and rundown the facilities are at many amateur and even semi-pro clubs, where obviously the kids would start. However, it seems that the majority of the problems are caused by the underfunding and poor coaching at the pro teams.

Agree with you to a point but not agenda - how much of a difference facilities make?

At a junior level at least, all you really need is a pitch, balls and maybe a few cones even a portacabin without a shower is fine as a changing room for kids. The state of the facilites probably males an aesthetic difference but little difference to the on the field training.

I will stand corrected but I would think the main consideration as you have said is getting the right coaches with good ideas teaching. Then having a decent structure to allow decent players to progress and coaches to learn. I would say this should be our focal point.

I understand what you are saying. However, my point about the poor facilities at amateur and semi-pro levels is that you cannot seriously expect to eventually produce lots of excellent players if what is available to train them is so basic and limited. The facilities (or lack, thereof) at the semi-pro clubs is especially lamentable - I cannot believe how neglected St Helen's and The Gnoll are, for example. For most players, these are the sorts of teams who they'll play for before reaching pro level, and such a rundown and antediluvian environment is not conducive to producing (large numbers of) top-quality, high-class players.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I think you overestimate the degree to which the problems start at a young age. Not saying that I entirely disagree with you - I am astonished at how poor and rundown the facilities are at many amateur and even semi-pro clubs, where obviously the kids would start. However, it seems that the majority of the problems are caused by the underfunding and poor coaching at the pro teams.

Agree with you to a point but not agenda - how much of a difference facilities make?

At a junior level at least, all you really need is a pitch, balls and maybe a few cones even a portacabin without a shower is fine as a changing room for kids. The state of the facilites probably males an aesthetic difference but little difference to the on the field training.

I will stand corrected but I would think the main consideration as you have said is getting the right coaches with good ideas teaching. Then having a decent structure to allow decent players to progress and coaches to learn. I would say this should be our focal point.

Might sound too 'philosophical' but I think that the total integration of Country Rugby and a open Pathway to develop and introduce talent without too much elitism and with motivation, incentive and pleasure uppermost is the best way. Of course within that quality and incentive of Coaches is a prime parameter. NZ seems to meet that philosophy and practice most.

The somewhat disjointed Welsh Regional Rugby and seemingly lack of interaction and integration with the Community version and development aspects seems to be prevalent in Wales?
Reading these columns it is the suggestion of lack of motivation in Junior rugby disappoints me most.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:50 pm
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I can only speak from experience.

Having a nice rubber crumb with warm changing facilities helps the numbers of kids you get training (so does parking facilities, but that's slightly tangential). In fact if someone nearby has these and you don't, you might as well give up, they aren't going to come to you and you aren't going to field a side

Over here you have to have a basic level of facility to be able to run a junior side, it's not arduous, but a portacbin without a shower won't do, I'm sure that's the same back there.

Ironically when these guys hit senior level and they are presented with shitty cold wet windy muddy conditions and shower that emits less water than an old man pissing, they suddenly feel like this grass roots rugby lark really isn't worth the trouble, and they don't play anymore.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Great kick by Biggar.

29 - 14 game set and match.The fat lady can start singing.

Bit of a turn around after that - but fair play to the Blues, they kept Nick Williams on for the whole game and he had a massive influence on the game once the subs came on for the Ospreys.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 am
British & Irish Lions Player

Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Great kick by Biggar.

29 - 14 game set and match.The fat lady can start singing.

Bit of a turn around after that - but fair play to the Blues, they kept Nick Williams on for the whole game and he had a massive influence on the game once the subs came on for the Ospreys.

Yeah the bench has proven to be a real liability for the Ospreys at times this season - most notably this match and the one at Northampton. At times it could cost them wins.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It's bound to, byti. Bound to.

The Blues very nearly got a win from nowhere.

Quote:
Chris Towers, Ospreys’ Medical Performance Manager, has confirmed that Owen Watkin was released from hospital on Saturday evening with “no structural damage”.

The young centre suffered an impact to the neck late on during Saturday’s bonus point win over Cardiff Blues at the Liberty Stadium and was removed from the field and taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Towers confirmed today that having been thoroughly checked out, Watkin went home late on Saturday evening and will report to Llandarcy Academy of Sport on Monday to be further assessed by the medical team before any necessary treatment plan can be put in place ahead of his return to play.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7