It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Pro 14: Scarlets v Dragons (Fri 05.01.2018) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pro 14: Scarlets v Dragons (Fri 05.01.2018)
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
PS Toulon lost to Brive at the death so are potentially slipping away from the top 6...

Scarlets, imo, can think positive if they can beat Bath ..

Chips down

I would expect us to beat Toulon at home, but compare the prep games, Scarlets vs Drags resting half the team versus Toulon vs Brive...

Brive are only just above the relegation zone in the Top 14, and have been a bottom half team in France for a number of years.

It needs brains to understand the difference between the consequences of tough games in France versus soft Welsh 50 point "derbies" ;)

Granted, but I don't think the difference between Brive and Dragons is as big as you make out - in fact, Dragons actually beat them last season! Brive would probably struggle against the Irish big three, Glasgow and West Wales teams almost as much as the Dragons do.

The French game is much physically harder. I watched some of the Toulon game and it was attritional a much different level of intensity.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Pro 14: Scarlets v Dragons (Fri 05.01.2018)
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
PS Toulon lost to Brive at the death so are potentially slipping away from the top 6...

Scarlets, imo, can think positive if they can beat Bath ..

Chips down

I would expect us to beat Toulon at home, but compare the prep games, Scarlets vs Drags resting half the team versus Toulon vs Brive...

Brive are only just above the relegation zone in the Top 14, and have been a bottom half team in France for a number of years.

It needs brains to understand the difference between the consequences of tough games in France versus soft Welsh 50 point "derbies" ;)

Granted, but I don't think the difference between Brive and Dragons is as big as you make out - in fact, Dragons actually beat them last season! Brive would probably struggle against the Irish big three, Glasgow and West Wales teams almost as much as the Dragons do.

The French game is much physically harder. I watched some of the Toulon game and it was attritional a much different level of intensity.

JD2 said in an interview to The Rugby Paper that he actually finds teams in the Top 14 to be, on the whole, less fit and speedy than in the Pro 12/14, so to a large extent it is just that the emphasis is different. (And to reiterate, no I am not saying Brive are as bad as the Dragons, but still were they in the Pro 14 they'd almost certainly be a bottom-half team most years).

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:12 pm
Profile E-mail