It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending 
World XV Player

Post Re: Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending
ICEverything wrote:
Bouch wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
The citing panel clearly felt it was an accident. If they didn’t then the sentence would surely have been far worse.

They were going to ban him for 8 weeks, but the defence was so nicely worded and the player so guiltless in the past that the panel decided to cut it to 4 weeks.

:bs:

Do you think the citing panel thought it was deliberate then. :scratch:

Do you think that it was an accident and that the accident caused the reduction?

Over.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:38 pm
Schools District Player

purely accidental with no intent. The incident did not warrant 4 weeks, disgusting behaviour by the panel who as usual do no not have a clue.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Done and dusted, let's move on eh ;)

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 pm
Regional Player

Does any one know what nationalities made up the Tribunal ??

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
Does any one know what nationalities made up the Tribunal ??

Press release:

"A Pro14 statement said: “The disciplinary panel, comprising of Tommy Dalton (chair), George Spotswood and Donal Courtney (all Ireland), concluded that the player’s actions merited a mid-range entry point, which carries an eight-week suspension."

Don't forget it is an Irish run league, with an Irish sponsor and the all the key games played in Ireland. The Scarlets committed the unforgivable sin of beating them in Dublin twice in 2 weeks last year to win their tournament. The Scarlets will pay for that for years to come... ;)

It's a big secret though.... :D

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 pm
thread ruining clique

Jumping for the ball is fine, until someone comes clattering in and takes your legs from under you, and you land on your neck.
I dislike the 'intent' argument, as it does not change the facts of the situation, only the harshness of the sentence. You can badly hurt someone whether you intend it or not.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Jumping for the ball is fine, until someone comes clattering in and takes your legs from under you, and you land on your neck.
I dislike the 'intent' argument, as it does not change the facts of the situation, only the harshness of the sentence. You can badly hurt someone whether you intend it or not.

I agree.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Problem here is that this young man is very much a fan favourite, the tackle, intent or not was horrible, these are professional players, at the point of contact Evans had closed his eyes and panicked and so ended up taking the players legs from under him. If he cannot tackle or comptete properly then sadly he needs to find another sport. In respect of the length of ban, I recall Elliot Daly only had 3 week ban for a similar event. Presumably there were no Irish adjudicators onhis panel

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eborr wrote:
Problem here is that this young man is very much a fan favourite, the tackle, intent or not was horrible, these are professional players, at the point of contact Evans had closed his eyes and panicked and so ended up taking the players legs from under him. If he cannot tackle or comptete properly then sadly he needs to find another sport. In respect of the length of ban, I recall Elliot Daly only had 3 week ban for a similar event. Presumably there were no Irish adjudicators onhis panel

The fact he is a fan favorite is not a problem at all, it wasn't a tackle there was no intent to tackle and intent or not is key to the whole situation. He did not panic he jumped for a ball that another player had jumped for. He is at the very top of his profession and need not look for another sport. The question is this, can these situations be avoided without a change in the law.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Not seen the incident but since they brought the law if you make contact with a player in the air chances are your screwed

If players havn't worked that out yet they deserve bans

Let the scunner land then tackle him

rocket science it is not

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:02 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Not seen the incident but since they brought the law if you make contact with a player in the air chances are your screwed

If players havn't worked that out yet they deserve bans

Let the scunner land then tackle him

rocket science it is not

Problem is when two players feel they are jumping for the ball because they feel they can. It is impossible to do without totally focussing on the ball. Thats when accidental collisions occur. Its a simple fact that you cant take accidental collisions out of the game, they may be rare but they will happen.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:18 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Been a while since I saw it, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory Evans saw at the last minute he wasn't getting anywhere near the ball and put his hands up to protect his face as the contact happened. It may not have been done with evil intent, but it wasn't an accidental collision either; it was a badly misjudged, reckless act from a young player, and hopefully he will learn from the experience.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Been a while since I saw it, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory Evans saw at the last minute he wasn't getting anywhere near the ball and put his hands up to protect his face as the contact happened. It may not have been done with evil intent, but it wasn't an accidental collision either; it was a badly misjudged, reckless act from a young player, and hopefully he will learn from the experience.

If it was reckless then the laws exist to attempt to keep players safe, the laws cannot prevent reckless acts only sanction them. If it was misjudged then it is a different ball game, when it comes to safety, if the laws cannot prevent genuine misjudgments putting players at high risk, then they need to look at the laws. If you misjudge your position on the field and chase a kick from in front of a ball but you think you were onside thats sorted by a penalty, fine. But if you think you are totally able to catch a ball by jumping for it and you misjudge it the sanction be it a red card or a 6 month ban does not make any difference if someone as a broken neck.

The other issue is how dangerous these situations actually are, they certainly look bad. They appear to occur far more often in Australian rules, what kind of injury rates are they having? A decision needs to be made in terms of a risk assessment, we know its a contact sport that as a high risk of joint injuries etc but does the contest in the air create a situation of unacceptable risk that the current laws cannot influence in certain situations ???

The debate should not be about the level of sanction but if the level of sanction can control an accidental collision, if we create a situation where only reckless players jump for a ball then it becomes a bit silly. The only reason you jump is to get above other people challenging for the ball, by its very nature its high risk.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:19 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I honestly think intent is a red herring.
Let's say I'm driving my car. Up ahead, traffic lights are about to change to red. I have a rush of blood and put my foot down, thinking I can beat the signal. At the last minute I realise I'm wrong and slam on the brakes. Unfortunately, a child has already stepped out onto the crossing, and I mow them down and kill them.
In the above scenario, does intent make one single bit of difference to the outcome? I didn't mean to kill that child, but that's of little consequence to the devastated parents.
The only difference is I get charged with manslaughter, rather than murder, which is after the fact. The rules are in place, but if people choose to ignore them, for whatever reason, then they run the risk of hurting people.
I may have gone a bit too deep with this, but that's what I think. :D

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I honestly think intent is a red herring.
Let's say I'm driving my car. Up ahead, traffic lights are about to change to red. I have a rush of blood and put my foot down, thinking I can beat the signal. At the last minute I realise I'm wrong and slam on the brakes. Unfortunately, a child has already stepped out onto the crossing, and I mow them down and kill them.
In the above scenario, does intent make one single bit of difference to the outcome? I didn't mean to kill that child, but that's of little consequence to the devastated parents.
The only difference is I get charged with manslaughter, rather than murder, which is after the fact. The rules are in place, but if people choose to ignore them, for whatever reason, then they run the risk of hurting people.
I may have gone a bit too deep with this, but that's what I think. :D

Not really, it seemed within reality.. :D

The laws require now, do not leave your feet for a ball in the air, until you know where the opponent is, don't concentrate on the ball at all, watch the (often offside) runner and whatever you do let him jump and don't interfere with him..
Seems wrong to me but aerial collisions are viewed as more dangerous than chop tackles directed at knees. ;)

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next