It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:00 am

Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending 
World XV Player

Post Re: Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending
spinbreath wrote:
I honestly think intent is a red herring.
Let's say I'm driving my car. Up ahead, traffic lights are about to change to red. I have a rush of blood and put my foot down, thinking I can beat the signal. At the last minute I realise I'm wrong and slam on the brakes. Unfortunately, a child has already stepped out onto the crossing, and I mow them down and kill them.
In the above scenario, does intent make one single bit of difference to the outcome? I didn't mean to kill that child, but that's of little consequence to the devastated parents.
The only difference is I get charged with manslaughter, rather than murder, which is after the fact. The rules are in place, but if people choose to ignore them, for whatever reason, then they run the risk of hurting people.
I may have gone a bit too deep with this, but that's what I think. :D

But for you the rules exist to cover the problem, you have seen the light turn to amber which means stop unless it is unsafe to do so. You then broke the law by accelerating. You did what you did and broke the law, that is equivalent to taking a player knowing you had no right to go for the ball.

Put another scenario the lights change to amber to go on the crossing and amber to stop for you, you think you cant stop safely so proceed and the child mistakingly thinks its probably safe to go. The ambiguity creates the problem. What they do to prevent this never has both lights on amber at the same time.

When people jump for the ball they are like a car on amber and green which starts early and the other side of the lights they are on amber to stop, both cars go for it and they collide. Surely the lights need to be looked at. Dont be a amber gambler there may be one coming the other way

:D :D ;)

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Aerial collisions are deemed as accidents, if both players have jumped for the ball. The danger occurs when one player jumps, and the other takes his legs out from under him, turning him over so he lands on his head. Whether by accident or design, this is worthy of a red card under the rules, and if players don't know the rules, then they aren't doing their job properly.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Aerial collisions are deemed as accidents, if both players have jumped for the ball. The danger occurs when one player jumps, and the other takes his legs out from under him, turning him over so he lands on his head. Whether by accident or design, this is worthy of a red card under the rules, and if players don't know the rules, then they aren't doing their job properly.

Steff Evans thought he was jumping for the ball. It was an aerial collision. He was in the air when he took his legs out. The counter-argument is probably he went into the air recklessly. But if he didnt realize, because he was focussed on the ball, it cant be prevented, unless you change the law. Can only the player from the side that didnt kick it jump etc

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Steff Evans thought he was jumping for the ball. It was an aerial collision. He was in the air when he took his legs out. The counter-argument is probably he went into the air recklessly. But if he didnt realize, because he was focussed on the ball, it cant be prevented, unless you change the law. Can only the player from the side that didnt kick it jump etc

I blame Thatcher.. :P :D

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Blindside wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

I blame Thatcher.. :P :D

What did you think of seeing the old advert? It brought back memories for me and i often think about it when im at the lights. In reality though both lights are never on amber and i doubt they were back then :D James Callaghan government probably paid for it.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Langland Exile wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
Does any one know what nationalities made up the Tribunal ??

Press release:

"A Pro14 statement said: “The disciplinary panel, comprising of Tommy Dalton (chair), George Spotswood and Donal Courtney (all Ireland), concluded that the player’s actions merited a mid-range entry point, which carries an eight-week suspension."

Don't forget it is an Irish run league, with an Irish sponsor and the all the key games played in Ireland. The Scarlets committed the unforgivable sin of beating them in Dublin twice in 2 weeks last year to win their tournament. The Scarlets will pay for that for years to come... ;)

It's a big secret though.... :D

I think tribunal members should be neutral.............

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

JOHNWALES wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
Does any one know what nationalities made up the Tribunal ??

Press release:

"A Pro14 statement said: “The disciplinary panel, comprising of Tommy Dalton (chair), George Spotswood and Donal Courtney (all Ireland), concluded that the player’s actions merited a mid-range entry point, which carries an eight-week suspension."

Don't forget it is an Irish run league, with an Irish sponsor and the all the key games played in Ireland. The Scarlets committed the unforgivable sin of beating them in Dublin twice in 2 weeks last year to win their tournament. The Scarlets will pay for that for years to come... ;)

It's a big secret though.... :D

I think tribunal members should be neutral.............

If an appeal had been made, who would the Judge(s) be?
If it is the same panel there is something completely wrong with the whole set up.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good discussion this.

Players jump for the ball to avoid being poleaxed. Timing wasn’t really as big an issue if the receiving player doesn’t jump. Taking the jump away would probably result in even more injuries, especially with the size of players and their speed nowadays. Wouldn’t be long and teams will be planning hospital kicks.

If 2 players attempt to catch the ball, each must be bloody sure they can catch it otherwise they’ll feck it up and get a ban, part and parcel of playing the game now. Not easy by any stretch, but I think it’s the best way to deal with it.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:01 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
Good discussion this.

Players jump for the ball to avoid being poleaxed. Timing wasn’t really as big an issue if the receiving player doesn’t jump. Taking the jump away would probably result in even more injuries, especially with the size of players and their speed nowadays. Wouldn’t be long and teams will be planning hospital kicks.

If 2 players attempt to catch the ball, each must be bloody sure they can catch it otherwise they’ll feck it up and get a ban, part and parcel of playing the game now. Not easy by any stretch, but I think it’s the best way to deal with it.

They don't jump to catch balls in the lower divisions and never did before, i think it really came in to play in the last decade.
Catching the ball as never really been seen as a significant cause of injury when on the ground. :dontknow:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Good discussion this.

They don't jump to catch balls in the lower divisions and never did before, i think it really came in to play in the last decade.
Catching the ball as never really been seen as a significant cause of injury when on the ground. :dontknow:

I always thought players jumped because they were untouchable, and it was safer. I also thought it was pretty normal under pro level. :scratch: Interesting.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 am