It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending 
World XV Player

Post Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42493899

Ridiculous! It was simply a clumsy mistake with absolutely no intent.
Yeah! I know all the goodie goodies will say it was deserved, but in my book, as a lawyer, there is no way he was guilty of an offence.
The law is an ass as I found out years ago and the application of the law leaves much to be desired.
P.S. I have a four-year degree in law.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Steff Evans: Scarlets wing given four-week ban after sending
BigRed wrote:

Yeah! I know all the goodie goodies will say it was deserved, but in my book, as a lawyer, there is no way he was guilty of an offence.
The law is an ass as I found out years ago and the application of the law leaves much to be desired.

I think the ban is fair as Evans was reckless... which is different to intent but still dangerous

Your stance given your lawyer credentials suprises me... I would have thought the whole duty of care argument would have been up your alley... abstract concept though it can be at times

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
BigRed wrote:

I think the ban is fair as Evans was reckless... which is different to intent but still dangerous

Your stance given your lawyer credentials suprises me... I would have thought the whole duty of care argument would have been up your alley... abstract concept though it can be at times

It is, imo, a credible result.

Reckless and potentially significant consequence and directly in line with current regulations and their intent.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:40 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Anybody who thinks that is not worth 4 weeks loses all credibility on any other rugby matter

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Apparently it was eight weeks reduced to four. Can’t really argue with the outcome sadly. It wasn’t reckless in my opinion but it was very clumsy. Welfare of players is paramount and whilst harsh on Evans, the decision sends out the right message for the future.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 pm
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:

Disagree, he was going for the ball totally unaware of the opposing player's position on the field. When they collided both were in the air going for the ball. Had Steff jumped higher he would have been taken out in the air on the same basis.
Watch it again, Steff made no effort to attack the player his eyes were on the ball.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
BigRed wrote:

Disagree, he was going for the ball totally unaware of the opposing player's position on the field. When they collided both were in the air going for the ball. Had Steff jumped higher he would have been taken out in the air on the same basis.
Watch it again, Steff made no effort to attack the player his eyes were on the ball.

It was purely an accident (full stop). A duty of care wasn't an issue, can't be in an accident with no one at fault.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

To me, this decision is like a sober person behind the wheel of a car driving within the speed limit hits a patch of black ice and the car skids into another. Then getting found guilty of driving under the influence or driving to fast and was negligent.
I've watched and rewatched this incident, it was purely an accident. The sentence is just an overreaction to a law that is an ass as it doesn't allow for the possibility of a collision between two players happening accidentally.
If anyone can show me any possibility of Steff actually wanting to take the man out, I may recant. His eye was on the ball and he went up to catch the ball, which was why he was in the air when the collision took place.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The intent isn’t the issue...

It’s about a professional weighing up the odds of success in that split second and the repercussions if not successful

I don’t believe that he meant any harm but I do think he should have been more aware of his positioning, seen he wasnt going to get there, pulled out of the challenge and avoid an unnecessary injury to a fellow pro

That is the duty of care

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

2 weeks wold have been just. It’s a pathetic decision.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
To me, this decision is like a sober person behind the wheel of a car driving within the speed limit hits a patch of black ice and the car skids into another. Then getting found guilty of driving under the influence or driving to fast and was negligent.
I've watched and rewatched this incident, it was purely an accident. The sentence is just an overreaction to a law that is an ass as it doesn't allow for the possibility of a collision between two players happening accidentally.
If anyone can show me any possibility of Steff actually wanting to take the man out, I may recant. His eye was on the ball and he went up to catch the ball, which was why he was in the air when the collision took place.

I totally agree and have argued before that the only way to avoid this is to make jumping for the ball illegal. It only happens at professional levels and is a relatively new aspect of the game. Someone is going to get killed.

You cant prevent someone doing something accidentally when to jump for a ball when others are jumping is a reckless act anyway, kind of thing.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:

And if that happened to a Scarlets player....?

Sean

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The citing panel clearly felt it was an accident. If they didn’t then the sentence would surely have been far worse.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:11 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
The citing panel clearly felt it was an accident. If they didn’t then the sentence would surely have been far worse.

It was an awful challenge Icey and he deserves the ban.

Sean

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Anybody who says that "Anybody who thinks that is not worth 4 weeks loses all credibility on any other rugby matter" loses all credibility in any other rugby matter.

It was accidental. He goes for the ball and see the other player at the last second.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 pm
Profile E-mail