It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Pro14: Scarlets v Ospreys (Tues 26.12.2017) 
Regional Player

Post Re: Pro14: Scarlets v Ospreys (Tues 26.12.2017)
Unusual defensive system from the Ospreys when Biggar came on at fullback. He was defending in the line as if playing 10, and Webb or Sam Davies dropped back to recieve kicks. I can sort of see the sense of it except Webb was terrible under the high ball yesterday.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Scarlets dominated Possession and Territory, but left about 20 points out there on the pitch in terms of missed kicks and Parkes' dropping the ball with the try line in front of him. Not sure what's happened to the Os between their last two games in Europe and this one back in the Pro14?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:40 am
World XV Player

Evan Roberts wrote:
Unusual defensive system from the Ospreys when Biggar came on at fullback. He was defending in the line as if playing 10, and Webb or Sam Davies dropped back to receive kicks. I can sort of see the sense of it except Webb was terrible under the high ball yesterday.

Every one barring Ospreys management agrees that the coaching of the Ospreys is poor at best.
44 minutes playing against a 14 man Scarlets team yet couldn't cross the line for a try.
I make Dragons slight favourites against them next weekend, given good conditions. In a rain-affected game, I think that Ospreys could muscle it.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

As a neutral fan, I can't say I like seeing the Ospreys play badly... they could be good but just aren't there. It is a shame. Let's hope they can improve.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:56 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

what a fantastic end to the game...not a brilliant game to watch but a fair result in the end :)

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
As a neutral fan, I can't say I like seeing the Ospreys play badly... they could be good but just aren't there. It is a shame. Let's hope they can improve.

It was a poor game but under terrible conditions.
The Scarlets always looked the team with skilful players and more potent combinations.

The try was excellent and the victory deserved.

But ....

It doe strike me that a team that will drive and contain and compete well at breakdown can contain them and blunt their attacking style.

For me the Bath game will be very formative, they can be the type of team that potentially will test them .. players like Louw who returned v Toulon is the type of players that will nullify the likes of Davies ... They do have match winners out in the backs and Brew this Season is a revelation he put Tuisova in his place in both matches and I have never seen him so dominated, usually it's the other war round.

Bath isn't an easy place to go either ...

It will also be a formative game for them from a confidence point of view and entry into the Euro 1/4s would be a huge boost and some proof that they are really on a winning way and truly competitive

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:27 pm
Regional Player

The Scarlets are not the team they were at the end of last season but even playing badly (and down to 14) were too good for an Ospreys side which should be much better than they are. Conditions were bad but the same for both sides so no excuses there.

Osprey's Pro14 form is worrying. With a few exceptions they look as though they are just going through the motions and I honestly think they'll be a better team next season without their marquee players who are off to pastures new.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I thought Biggar was the only Os player to put his hand up. The rest of them were pretty awful.
All the Os seemed to want to do was defend and try not to concede too many points. They were so entrenched in this system that against 14 men, with the chance to attack, they couldn't escape their rut.
I can only think to put their European 'success' down to perhaps other teams not taking the competition seriously?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:31 pm
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
The Scarlets are not the team they were at the end of last season but even playing badly (and down to 14) were too good for an Ospreys side which should be much better than they are. Conditions were bad but the same for both sides so no excuses there.

Osprey's Pro14 form is worrying. With a few exceptions they look as though they are just going through the motions and I honestly think they'll be a better team next season without their marquee players who are off to pastures new.

I really dont think the Ospreys should be that much better than they are. The backline is decidedly average.If they start Webb and Biggar then thats quality but around them its yawnsville. They have one quality tight head and one decent loosehead, use of bench weakens the front row. AWJ and Brad D decent pairing, they do not have a quality 8. Ospreys may be underperforming but performing to their potential would still be decidedly average.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:47 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Blindside wrote:
Donkka wrote:

I really dont think the Ospreys should be that much better than they are. The backline is decidedly average.If they start Webb and Biggar then thats quality but around them its yawnsville. They have one quality tight head and one decent loosehead, use of bench weakens the front row. AWJ and Brad D decent pairing, they do not have a quality 8. Ospreys may be underperforming but performing to their potential would still be decidedly average.

I think you are exaggerating. The Ospreys are really weak nowadays in the front row, but in other areas they are (in theory) rather better-stocked. Dan Evans is a fullback that is grossly underrated, Keelan Giles looks exciting (but in any case is out injured for the rest of the season), Owen Watkin and Ashley Beck have much potential but have both been marred by too many injuries, Tom Habberfield is actually quite good even if not up to the (potential) standard of Webb and Cawdor, Sam Davies can be very good IF the pack provide him with enough ball, Justin Tipuric has been said to be All Black level and Dan Lydiate is still the ultimate tackler.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ospreys trying to play to their strengths and use the... well the strength of AWJ, Baldwin, Lydiate, Davies and engage in an arm wrestle. Throw in the enthusiastic Nicky smith, Arhip and cracknell and you can see the thinking

Lydiate was man of the match for me - controversial choice I know but he is playing well

Unfortunately for the ospreys rugby is a multi faceted game and in too many areas they are average.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Ospreys trying to play to their strengths and use the... well the strength of AWJ, Baldwin, Lydiate, Davies and engage in an arm wrestle. Throw in the enthusiastic Nicky smith, Arhip and cracknell and you can see the thinking

Lydiate was man of the match for me - controversial choice I know but he is playing well

Unfortunately for the ospreys rugby is a multi faceted game and in too many areas they are average.

The difference between Scarlets and Ospreys IMHO is that Scarlets have a few forwards who can actually match the backs in handling and speed around the park as well as being able to hold their own in the tight phases.
Rob Evans, Shingler and Cubby spring to mind. Cubby and Shingler can probably match most of the backs in speed. Whereas Rob Evans has sleight of hands and very mobile for a prop and links very well with the backs.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:

The difference between Scarlets and Ospreys IMHO is that Scarlets have a few forwards who can actually match the backs in handling and speed around the park as well as being able to hold their own in the tight phases.
Rob Evans, Shingler and Cubby spring to mind. Cubby and Shingler can probably match most of the backs in speed. Whereas Rob Evans has sleight of hands and very mobile for a prop and links very well with the backs.

Although I don’t hold Scarlets up to be the beacon of all things rugby... and think they do lack a bit of physicality up front especially with ball out, i do agree in principle with what your saying... ospreys pack is a bit one dimensional and would benefit from a quality athlete at 8 and maybe something at hooker

They do have a lack of pace in the back 3 and acceleration at 12 and 13. McNicoll is a menace for the Scarlets and Dirksen and hassler are mediocre in comparison

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

They do have a lack of pace in the back 3 ....

The quickest wing in Welsh rugby has been injured on and of for the last couple of years.

I'm trying to remember his name but I believe he's been in the Ospreys side now and again.

You'll remember him - small chap ...

And the No. 8 was injured too ...

You must know his name, ABC, yes?

:D :D :D :D

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7