It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

can i ask a question re Cheetahs...... 
Junior Player

Post can i ask a question re Cheetahs......
you all might be able to help..... because i have tried to find the answer and can't see one

watching the Glasgow vs Cheetahs game on BBC alba.... but sky have also got the Free state cheetahs vs Blue Bull game on at the same time....

I am assuming they have have probably played both games back to back.....

i had a look at both the free state cheetahs and pro 14 cheetahs rosters and they are basically both the same mamouth squad....

so when Currie Cup and Pro 14 overlap now (which didn't happen when Cheetahs played Super Rugby).... are the pro 14 cheetahs basically the 1st XV and the Free state Cheetahs the 2nd XV... or is it they basically carry 2 1st XV's and mix and match when they need to?

thanking you in advance.....

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: can i ask a question re Cheetahs......
sarcyspice wrote:
you all might be able to help..... because i have tried to find the answer and can't see one

watching the Glasgow vs Cheetahs game on BBC alba.... but sky have also got the Free state cheetahs vs Blue Bull game on at the same time....

i had a look at both the free state cheetahs and pro 14 cheetahs rosters and they are basically both the same mamouth squad....

so when Currie Cup and Pro 14 overlap now (which didn't happen when Cheetahs played Super Rugby).... are the pro 14 cheetahs basically the 1st XV and the Free state Cheetahs the 2nd XV... or is it they basically carry 2 1st XV's and mix and match when they need to?

I have a gut-feeling that answer may lie with one of our Saffer posters in the SH forum? I think it's the case that they currently run 2 full squads but, I'm certain a Cheetah supporter over there will know anyway?

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:41 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: can i ask a question re Cheetahs......
sarcyspice wrote:

I asked Bokbefok one of our SA posters, same or similar Qs but cant find the conversation on here.

As far as I remember :

SA Pro14 teams run 2 squqds for Pro 14 and C Cup

I think it was said that Chts have a squad of 56

Both Pro 14 matches and C Cup are televised there.

They do play the same weekends.

The C Cup ends end Oct so maybe the SA teams will have stronger squads and better crowds.

That's what I remember, if Bokbefok sees this post he can fill in detail or you could PM him.

Hope this helps

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 pm
World XV Player

What Tony Panties said is the current status. As a sa team I do support them in Pro14 but in the cc they are my team's (lions) enemy.
They played cc and Pro14 matches at home last night. First Bulls up and lost and then after that Glasgow and a cliffhanger.
Their best xv is Pro14. They do lose their nr15 Seargull Peterson after 28 Oct. to wp. He was contracted till end of cc before knewing he would play Pro14.
His replacement in the Pro14 squad will come from their cc team. The cc boosts their Reserve strength.
Players will be pulled from cc after 28 Oct (cc final) but i suspect not many. They contract 56 players
I know we in sa battle politically but on the long run it will be good for sa rugby in giving more players exposure. In the sh section I posted some news that the sa Pumas (a side similiar strength to the Pro14 Cheetahs) will now be awarded Anglo - Welsh franchise aswell as Griquas and the highest on there will challenge Kings for Pro14 promo then

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:59 am
World XV Player

Cheetahs are now out of the Currie Cup. The last round was played before the semis finals. Cheetahs brought their Pro14 side to Ellispark against the Lions but were thoroughly beaten 44 - 17.
Lions WP Bulls Sharks in the semis
This will mean the Cheetahs will concentrate on the Pro14 and will strengthen their Pro14 group a bit. Mainly their bench and injury replacements.
They lost their nr15 Seargull Peterson though, off to WP as his contract was drawn up before Pro14 and he was signed for cc

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 pm