It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Pro14: Cardiff Blues v Dragons (Fri 06.10.2017) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pro14: Cardiff Blues v Dragons (Fri 06.10.2017)
Theb1 thing I remember about Henson, was the players around him seemed to play better, in attack and defence.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
BigRed wrote:
I got the feeling that Gav was trying to do too much in the second half when his team was starting to slip on defence. His penalty miss was almost on the money but he was trying for too much distance to help his team. Unfortunately, it got held up in the wind and fell a little short. I can't blame him for that. He was instrumental in all the good the Dragons showed in the first half. The problem was insurmountable when the replacements came on for the Blues which Dragons had no answer for as their bench was threadbare and again having to play against a rather stiff breeze.
I think Dragons can take a lot from the first half, a lot of potentials in their team.
I also question a number of poor decisions by Nigel Owens, this was one of his poorer performances. His decisions certainly favoured the Blues.

Fair assessment BR I think mate? The few times I've watched Henson I almost feel 'cheated' that his silliness (or, celebrity status, whatever!) denied us of one of the finest half-backs of his generation! I also wondered what his spell at Cardiff did for him, other than to nail him up for the unwashed masses to see! How many coaches would pick a free running half-back (10 or 12) and slot him as a starter on the wing or full-back! That Ireland game showed he was (by then!) a stamped-on 12?

People also forget too, that when Hooky was developing as a 10, with Henson outside him, he had a bloody good mentor. In every O's game back then, Henson was talking/shouting gee-ing him up like a top-class player should do!
As an IC for Wales, we missed him badly! I very much doubt we would have had Jamie at 12 had Henson stayed playing!
You missed out Amos in the first half, I thought he had an excellent game with ball in hand and his ooh kicks were also spot on!
The only thing I differ from to you, is with Nigel? I thought he let the game flow and IMO, gave the Drags a bit of free reign in the first half? The old story I think, the team on top gets the luck as well?

Wales was cheated out of Henson for a few years because of those two clowns B & B who were the Cardiff coaches at the time. The clowns eventually got booted out but the hierarchy has remained. The Blues will continue to underperform until the management is sorted.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Otto wrote:
BigRed wrote:
I got the feeling that Gav was trying to do too much in the second half when his team was starting to slip on defence. His penalty miss was almost on the money but he was trying for too much distance to help his team. Unfortunately, it got held up in the wind and fell a little short. I can't blame him for that. He was instrumental in all the good the Dragons showed in the first half. The problem was insurmountable when the replacements came on for the Blues which Dragons had no answer for as their bench was threadbare and again having to play against a rather stiff breeze.
I think Dragons can take a lot from the first half, a lot of potentials in their team.
I also question a number of poor decisions by Nigel Owens, this was one of his poorer performances. His decisions certainly favoured the Blues.

Fair assessment BR I think mate? The few times I've watched Henson I almost feel 'cheated' that his silliness (or, celebrity status, whatever!) denied us of one of the finest half-backs of his generation! I also wondered what his spell at Cardiff did for him, other than to nail him up for the unwashed masses to see! How many coaches would pick a free running half-back (10 or 12) and slot him as a starter on the wing or full-back! That Ireland game showed he was (by then!) a stamped-on 12?

People also forget too, that when Hooky was developing as a 10, with Henson outside him, he had a bloody good mentor. In every O's game back then, Henson was talking/shouting gee-ing him up like a top-class player should do!
As an IC for Wales, we missed him badly! I very much doubt we would have had Jamie at 12 had Henson stayed playing!
You missed out Amos in the first half, I thought he had an excellent game with ball in hand and his ooh kicks were also spot on!
The only thing I differ from to you, is with Nigel? I thought he let the game flow and IMO, gave the Drags a bit of free reign in the first half? The old story I think, the team on top gets the luck as well?

Wales was cheated out of Henson for a few years because of those two clowns B & B who were the Cardiff coaches at the time. The clowns eventually got booted out but the hierarchy has remained. The Blues will continue to underperform until the management is sorted.

Hendon didn't do himself any favours either.

He walked away from Osps.

Couldn't cope with his media positioning and his Club behvviour was suspect on more than one occasion.

Wonderful talent, he never achieved full potential and recognition.

Sad,... a fault line ....I've always wished ..if only there was a guy like Carwyn J around to manage him ....CJ was ace at extracting best potential andmanaging players.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:53 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Otto wrote:
BigRed wrote:

Hendon didn't do himself any favours either.

He walked away from Osps.

Couldn't cope with his media positioning and his Club behvviour was suspect on more than one occasion.

Wonderful talent, he never achieved full potential and recognition.

Sad,... a fault line ....I've always wished ..if only there was a guy like Carwyn J around to manage him ....CJ was ace at extracting best potential andmanaging players.

I agree poor management throughout his career. Then when he did have a good manager he got injured. For example the one match he played for Wales with Gats in charge. He lasted just 20 minutes created a good impression then broke something, I think it was his hand.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Aye. The Gav/Jamie Roberts centre partnership was one we were all drooling over, but that twenty minutes was the extent of it.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:14 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Aye. The Gav/Jamie Roberts centre partnership was one we were all drooling over, but that twenty minutes was the extent of it.

Yeah! It was sad as it looked pretty promising for the 20 minutes. :(

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Guy was a complete knob, whos attitude and mental frailty resulted in a career that will always seem to have not reached the dizzy heights others set for him, he may be quite happy with it :dontknow:

As with all Henson threads, it is littered with excuses! Even his performance in the game :) He shit in his own bed, in club after club.

As for the subs being the difference in the game, the Blues butchered chance after chance, from the start of the second half, from the very start of it! The total and utter ineptitude of the dragons increased to the extent that they couldnt fail to run tries in in the last 20 minutes. As good as the Dragons were first half they were utter crap in the second. If one really poor side plays a fairly poor side, the performance can only be judged on that basis. It doesnt magically make either side a good side.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The WRU say :-

Gavin Henson made his Wales debut against Japan in 2003. A year later, against the same opponents he scored a Welsh record of 14 conversions, from 14 attempts.

Henson has represented Wales at U16, U18, U19 and U21 levels, as well as playing for the Wales Development XV and Wales A sides. He was voted the IRB World Young Player of the Year in 2001, and assisted Wales to an U21 Grand Slam in 2003.

Henson increased his profile during the 2005 RBS Six Nations Grand Slam campaign after scoring a match-winning penalty against England, leading to a British and Irish Lions call-up and a start in the second Test against New Zealand.

Henson joined Swansea straight from Brynteg School, spending a year under Aussie coach John Connolly. Part of the Celtic League title-winning 2004–2005 Ospreys squad, in which he was the League's top points scorer, Henson's versatility has seen him play at 10, 12 and 15.

A call up to the national squad for the 2006 Invesco Perpetual Series saw Henson gain two caps; in the historic draw with Australia, in which he scored a superb long-range penalty, and as a replacement in the loss to the All Blacks in the final game of the series.

2006–2007 saw a niggling knee injury disrupt Henson's domestic rugby season with the Ospreys, and kept him out of the 2007 RBS Six Nations.

However, Gareth Jenkins showed his faith in the youngster as he was called into Wales's squad to tour Australia in May 2007; he came on as a 67th minute replacement for try-scorer Jamie Robinson during the first Test in Sydney.

Henson also appeared as a replacement in the second Test following injuries to Chris Czekaj and Jamie Robinson.

In June Henson was named in Gareth Jenkins's 41-man preliminary Rugby World Cup 2007 summer training squad but failed to make the final cut following a prolonged period of various injuries and the resultant lack of game time and conditioning.

In November 2007 Henson was called into the Wales team, by Caretaker Coach Nigel Davies, to face world champions South Africa in the inaugural Prince William Cup match at the Millennium Stadium; the clash saw Henson make his first start for Wales since November 2006.

New Wales Coach Warren Gatland named Henson in his 2008 RBS Six Nations Squad, with the centre enjoying a successful tournament as Wales secured the Grand Slam. Henson played in all five victories, and though he picked up a yellow card in the championshp decider against France, maintained his 100% record of winning every RBS Six Nations match played – 10 in total during his international career.

Henson missed the summer tour to South Africa and was ruled out of the autumn series with a niggling injury before dropping out of the game altogether in 2009 due to a self-imposed exile.

...........................................................................................................................

Gavin's skill set is several levels above our other centres in the last few years and that skill set has kept him in demand.

His knock against Bath pre-season was managed well.

Sadly for the Dragons, they have more than 20 players injured at the moment - Henson isn't yet one of the casualties.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15573434.Blues_derby_is_a_freebie__claims_Dragons_boss_Jackman_after_revealing_incredible_29_man_injury_crisis/

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:39 am
World XV Player

Fact remains no one with a future signs for the Dragons! He has not been an automatic first choice in any of his many clubs after leaving the Ospreys.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Blindside wrote:
Fact remains no one with a future signs for the Dragons! He has not been an automatic first choice in any of his many clubs after leaving the Ospreys.
Undeniable fact.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The WRU's money will be helpful in getting young players who aren't yet at the top of their game.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 am
World XV Player

The phrase ' Dragons, they have more than 20 players injured at the moment ' suggests to me thy should be looking for the reason behind this. Sounds a bit excessive this early in the season.

I wonder how many are training and how many game injuries.. defiantly needs thinking about

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7