It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Pro 12 structure 
thread ruining clique

Post Pro 12 structure
Does anyone fancy having a stab at explaining to me how it works, as I'm a little baffled. There are two conferences, yet teams play sides from the other conference, as well as their own. Os of conference A played Treviso (B) then Cheetahs (A) and next have Scarlets (B). Whats the point in having two leagues and ignoring them?

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am
Club Player

Post Re: Pro 12 structure
1. You play the sides in your own conference twice, home and away (2x6 = 12 games)
2. You play the sides in the other conference once, home OR away (7x1 = 7 games)
3. You play the two sides from your own country in the other conference again (or the one side twice, for Italy/Scot/SA) (2 games)
= 21 games.

The games aren't played in that order though, they're mixed up. The O's game against the Cheetahs was from (1) above, the game against Treviso was (2).

The Ospreys (A) will play the Cheetahs (A) again at some point (in Swansea), but they will not play Treviso (B) again this year (unless they meet in the playoffs or Europe of course). They will play the Scarlets (B) twice, once as part of 2. above, then once again as part of 3.

All matches are worth table points because all sides will play 21 games total, just not against all the same sides.

Arguably some teams have easier run-ins than others. Treviso probably have the easiest - they will play Edinburgh, Kings and Dragons twice, and Zebre three times (9 "easy" games), and only have to play the Ospreys, Glasgow, Munster and Cheetahs once. By contrast, Connacht will play Zebre twice, and the Dragons, Edinburgh, Treviso and Kings only once each (only 6 "easy" games).

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Many thanks.
Sounds unnecessarily complicated to me.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:00 pm
World XV Player

It's a marathon. After 21 games and semis the winner deserves! interesting

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Many thanks.

it's quite logical unless you either add more games (France), which I am not sure is viable. There are 6 play off teams, not 4 also, with a bye for the teams who come top in each conference.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 pm
Club Player

spinbreath wrote:
Many thanks.

It's the only way they could have gone to 14 teams and preserved

-more or less the same number of games (remember, season tickets had already been sold)
-all the previous derby matches

Whilst at the same time keeping the conferences more or less balanced.

I don't expect this setup to last as they will expand further. At some point they will probably go to fixed conferences with all the e.g. Welsh teams in the same conference.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If one regards SA migration to N Hemp positive and if one believes that an enlarged higher quality competition is possible with a SA/N Hemp Conference is intended (this is mooted) then a 'fit' for the current competition is worth it?

It seems to me that the current makeshift is the sprat to catch the mackerel.....EPCR already rumoured to be in discussion and eventual inclusion of the franglais could bear significant fruit for all?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:02 am