It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:40 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59987
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
BigRed wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Kirchner looked very average to me before getting injured, especially considering his pedigree as a many-times-capped Springbok. He's probably one of the best paid members of the squad too. You can't help but feel there's no way that the WRU-Dragons would have signed him.

Pretorius is their best scrum-half at present and he has some occasional flashes, but agreed he's not outstanding and it's irritating that his arrival prompted the departure of Jonathan Evans who should have been the Dragons' first choice 9 for the past few years, instead of fighting to deputise for Gareth Davies.

The bar should be higher for NWQ players; if the regions can't afford multiple excellent players in every position then the padding should at least be Welsh-qualified. There's no point having mediocre foreign players.

I agree I don't see the point of it. Rather blood a few players from the Principality Premiership. There are a few players in that league that have been overlooked for higher honours some are better than the mediocre foreign players.


That is the point of the system...

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:41 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5614
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Two Wales sides are facing possible season-ending games this weekend and it's only October.
If Ospreys take nothing out of their match this weekend then an early end to their season and questions asked of their management.
Likewise, if Blues lose against Dragons surely heads should fall in the Blues camp.
A very sad state of affairs for two former glory Regions of Wales rugby.
In Conference A, Ospreys are second last and Blues last both on 5 points winning only one game out of the five played.


Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 706
Location: Swansea
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
I think and hope this weekend will be good for the Ospreys,
who have seemed to lack motivation (among other things!)
in recent weeks so there should be no problem in getting the
players "up" for this derby.


Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7355
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
BigRed wrote:
Two Wales sides are facing possible season-ending games this weekend and it's only October.
If Ospreys take nothing out of their match this weekend then an early end to their season and questions asked of their management.
Likewise, if Blues lose against Dragons surely heads should fall in the Blues camp.
A very sad state of affairs for two former glory Regions of Wales rugby.
In Conference A, Ospreys are second last and Blues last both on 5 points winning only one game out of the five played.


I take what you are saying but I don't think it will end their season.

Tandy has had a contract extension. It seems unlikely that they will sack hin a few weeks later.

Danny Wilson is already leaving, in light of that, I don't know whqt they can do to get them to improve. The problems at the Blues run deeper than one match.


Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5614
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Rhys Webb: Wales and Ospreys scrum-half to leave Ospreys for Toulon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41504377
First Biggar, now Webb. Not good reading for Ospreys.


Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:16 pm
Posts: 309
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
BigRed wrote:
Rhys Webb: Wales and Ospreys scrum-half to leave Ospreys for Toulon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41504377
First Biggar, now Webb. Not good reading for Ospreys.


Been on the cards for weeks and who can blame him ? Ospreys seem to have lost the plot and it would be no surprise to hear of others following if/when they are out of contract.


Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59987
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Donkka wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Rhys Webb: Wales and Ospreys scrum-half to leave Ospreys for Toulon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41504377
First Biggar, now Webb. Not good reading for Ospreys.


Been on the cards for weeks and who can blame him ? Ospreys seem to have lost the plot and it would be no surprise to hear of others following if/when they are out of contract.


Not many players of worth left..

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10909
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Langland Exile wrote:
Donkka wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Rhys Webb: Wales and Ospreys scrum-half to leave Ospreys for Toulon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41504377
First Biggar, now Webb. Not good reading for Ospreys.


Been on the cards for weeks and who can blame him ? Ospreys seem to have lost the plot and it would be no surprise to hear of others following if/when they are out of contract.


Not many players of worth left..

The coaching may not be all that, but you've seen them play, they couldn't give a *fupp* when in the Ospreys shirt, so it could be argued that there was not a lot of worth there to start with.

Personally I think Webb can look good individually whilst making absolutely no positive contribution to a team, it's the Rhys Webb show

The saddest thing is I don't think any of his understudies are up to it and that means we'll miss him

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3324
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Figaro wrote:
Kirchner looked very average to me before getting injured, especially considering his pedigree as a many-times-capped Springbok. He's probably one of the best paid members of the squad too. You can't help but feel there's no way that the WRU-Dragons would have signed him.

Pretorius is their best scrum-half at present and he has some occasional flashes, but agreed he's not outstanding and it's irritating that his arrival prompted the departure of Jonathan Evans who should have been the Dragons' first choice 9 for the past few years, instead of fighting to deputise for Gareth Davies.

The bar should be higher for NWQ players; if the regions can't afford multiple excellent players in every position then the padding should at least be Welsh-qualified. There's no point having mediocre foreign players.


Figaro, we seem to share a common dragons interest

I was wondering what you made of joe Davies in the last game. Dragons seem to be missing a large boiler house, right hand scrummaging lock

I see when he came on he fulfilled this role..

I have high hopes he comes through as he has great physical attributes. I rate Cory hill who is a little on the short side but has a tremendous work ethic. If paired with an enforcer type dragons could have something there


Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5614
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Kirchner looked very average to me before getting injured, especially considering his pedigree as a many-times-capped Springbok. He's probably one of the best paid members of the squad too. You can't help but feel there's no way that the WRU-Dragons would have signed him.

Pretorius is their best scrum-half at present and he has some occasional flashes, but agreed he's not outstanding and it's irritating that his arrival prompted the departure of Jonathan Evans who should have been the Dragons' first choice 9 for the past few years, instead of fighting to deputise for Gareth Davies.

The bar should be higher for NWQ players; if the regions can't afford multiple excellent players in every position then the padding should at least be Welsh-qualified. There's no point having mediocre foreign players.


Figaro, we seem to share a common dragons interest

I was wondering what you made of joe Davies in the last game. Dragons seem to be missing a large boiler house, right hand scrummaging lock

I see when he came on he fulfilled this role..

I have high hopes he comes through as he has great physical attributes. I rate Cory hill who is a little on the short side but has a tremendous work ethic. If paired with an enforcer type dragons could have something there

Bles and Dragons are due to name their sides today. So lets see if Joe Davies gets the nod ahead of Landman. Landman is a type of enforcer and does make a difference when he comes off the bench.


Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 357
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Figaro, we seem to share a common dragons interest


Yep, live in Newport now so they're my local team even if I am still probably a Blues fan primarily, though I'm finding the mess they're (the Blues) in hard to get excited about these days.

Quote:
I was wondering what you made of joe Davies in the last game. Dragons seem to be missing a large boiler house, right hand scrummaging lock

I see when he came on he fulfilled this role..

I have high hopes he comes through as he has great physical attributes. I rate Cory hill who is a little on the short side but has a tremendous work ethic. If paired with an enforcer type dragons could have something there


To be honest I don't think we have seen enough of him yet to comment (and in all honesty I didn't really notice his playing in that game) - a 15 minute cameo versus the weakest side in the league is hardly much of a basis to evaluate a player. He will no doubt get his chance against the Blues (divided loyalties match for me!) next week as apparently over half the squad are injured.

Agree about Cory Hill. He has really come on well in the last year or two and is a good example of how simply being in and around the national side's environment can aid in a player's development. He should definitely make the AI squad and deservedly so.


Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2282
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
CymraegJanner wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Donkka wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Rhys Webb: Wales and Ospreys scrum-half to leave Ospreys for Toulon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41504377
First Biggar, now Webb. Not good reading for Ospreys.


Been on the cards for weeks and who can blame him ? Ospreys seem to have lost the plot and it would be no surprise to hear of others following if/when they are out of contract.


Not many players of worth left..

The coaching may not be all that, but you've seen them play, they couldn't give a *fupp* when in the Ospreys shirt, so it could be argued that there was not a lot of worth there to start with.

Personally I think Webb can look good individually whilst making absolutely no positive contribution to a team, it's the Rhys Webb show

The saddest thing is I don't think any of his understudies are up to it and that means we'll miss him


For sure Webb is a big loss specifically for the Ospreys - Habberfield and Leonard are nowhere near his standard - but as for the Welsh team we still have Gareth Davies, Aled Davies, Lloyd Williams, Tomos Williams. It is certainly not a team position where there is too much concern imo.


Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11279
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Please see

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74906

e.g ...This stream seems to be significant in terms of increased concerns?

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 am
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5614
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
Tony Panties wrote:
Please see

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74906

e.g ...This stream seems to be significant in terms of increased concerns?

It is quite sad especially as I see a new breed of good youngsters coming through.
OK, they still need nurturing but the talent is there.
Tonight both teams are loaded with good youngsters, I find this to be an exciting time in the development of Wales rugby.
Surely Scarlet's success last year is an indication of the resurgence of 'Wales type' of players.
I think Gatland ball should be consigned to the history books.
It had its day with the emergence of huge backs but the world has caught up with their own big backs.
Guile is now necessary to break down defences and not willy-nilly running into your opponent using your height and weight advantage.
It is now a time for running passing forwards interlinking with backs. A la AB's.
We would do well to fashion our game on the AB's and not on the bulky England and South African players.


Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11279
Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 6th & 7th October 2017
CymraegJanner wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Donkka wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Rhys Webb: Wales and Ospreys scrum-half to leave Ospreys for Toulon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41504377
First Biggar, now Webb. Not good reading for Ospreys.


Been on the cards for weeks and who can blame him ? Ospreys seem to have lost the plot and it would be no surprise to hear of others following if/when they are out of contract.


Not many players of worth left..

The coaching may not be all that, but you've seen them play, they couldn't give a *fupp* when in the Ospreys shirt, so it could be argued that there was not a lot of worth there to start with.

Personally I think Webb can look good individually whilst making absolutely no positive contribution to a team, it's the Rhys Webb show

The saddest thing is I don't think any of his understudies are up to it and that means we'll miss him


Will the Welsh set up miss him? It is rumoured here that he has agreed to forego Welsh release when he move end of Season and that would include W Cup squad.

This section of an article announcing the xfer says that it looks like he has foregone international selection

Il semblerait que Rhys Webb ait décidé de mettre un terme à sa carrière internationale afin de relever ce nouveau défi au RCT. Le club varois devrait officialiser dans la foulée la signature de l'international gallois qui avec tapé dans l'œil du nouveau manager Fabien Galthié. La durée du contrat devrait être de trois ans.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron