It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Scarlets v Connacht (Fri 29.09.2017) 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Scarlets v Connacht (Fri 29.09.2017)
soap wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
As good as Scarlets' attack was, their defense really wasn't, and that could potentially prove lethal against Bath, Toulon and even the Ospreys.

You know the saying about the best defence?* It does seem to apply.
If you score 2 you can afford to let 1 slip

* The best defence is a good offence

It depends who you play against. Let's just say that Bath, Toulon and (if they bloody well wake up) the Ospreys won't be so lenient as Connacht were.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
soap wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
As good as Scarlets' attack was, their defense really wasn't, and that could potentially prove lethal against Bath, Toulon and even the Ospreys.

You know the saying about the best defence?* It does seem to apply.
If you score 2 you can afford to let 1 slip

* The best defence is a good offence

It depends who you play against. Let's just say that Bath, Toulon and (if they bloody well wake up) the Ospreys won't be so lenient as Connacht were.

I quite agree that defence is important, but really like to see teams that are not 99% defence and are willing to have the occasional slip up. As long as they have a higher score at the end of the game, it does not really natter how much they leak

Rugby used to be like this until South Africa won the World cup with a stone wall, and it became the holly grail not to let trys in. It does not really matter. It is the final balance between + and - and if people turn up to see a game where their side has leaked 3 but scored 6 I see that as a good thing, as would the club accountants.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I'm not convinced that our attack was that great. We butchered at least three tries and let Connaught back into the game.
We are missing Liam and Cubby. Again I thought Ha'penny was a bit flatfooted, he is definitely a few yards short of his former pace. This is leaving him in two minds on occasion. Boyd is a good player but does not have the athletic capability of Cubby.
The rest of the team are also not performing to the level they were at at the business end of last season, especially on defense and have been found wanting.

Halfpenny looks a bit past his sell by date to me, one paced and uncertain

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
This was rugby at it's best. Great game. Hats off to Connaught, sorry they didn't get two bonus points.
Another 5 pointer to us. Still not convinced that bwe are back to te best.

The defence coaches won't think it was "rugby at its best" but it was great to watch.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 pm
World XV Player

didn't see the game but have read some of the comments here, Attack is important so to defence, should go hand in hand, If that which has been questioned on defence then I agree better teams will exploit that. But well done llanelli ;)

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:02 am
World XV Player

Dai Yorkshire wrote:
didn't see the game but have read some of the comments here, Attack is important so to defence, should go hand in hand, If that which has been questioned on defence then I agree better teams will exploit that. But well done llanelli ;)

Bonjour Dai! ..been a bit absent on parade recently?

Certainly well done Scarlets and consistent.

I agree your comments, given Scarlets attacking success I've spent some time looking elsewhere in their matches.

centrefield was a distinct problem against Ulster, they were vulnerable against Ulster.
Last night there was a looseness about the defence and it seemed to vary and sometimes loose and caught at sixes and sevens. One 'feature' of an attacking bent is to potentially loose defensive shape.
I agree with a previous comment that said that they are scoring more tries and winning matches but one must think of best teams (xref Ulster again)

This Season Scarlets will undoubtedly be looking for a successful Euro performance and the biggest fly in their ointment will be Toulon.

I think that the Scarlets could win the group and even beat Toulon home and away, but ...

Imo there's a huge advantage in meeting Toulon first up in mid Oct!!

they have recruited AB centre Fekitoa... but he doesn't arrive until 1 November ;)
That's a big plus because the Toulon centres Nonu and Basteraud are thumpers and lack guile. JD should be well set up, not sure about Williams.

the 3/4 line may be

Wngers

Ashton : he is an ace finisher and is doing well in that respect at Toulon.
Tuisova ...imo one of the best wings in the world! Terribly muscular and has the pace and guile of a world best 7s player which is what he has been. It'll take a lot of attention to look after him

centres:

Nonu, wysiwyg! not the force he was but he'll hammer the midfield.
Bastereaud, vulnerable in a quick attack in space (a Scarlet asset !) but conversely he'll break tackles big time

FB Hugo Bonneval .. a very versatile player, was thought of as as a potential ace, capped 8 times but has suffered injuries.

That for me is the battleground.

Ref 1/2P .. he knows Toulon, but Toulon also know him! His goalkicking will be key, Without Wilko and 1/2P Toulon suffer from iffy kickers!

Toulon 1/2 backs ok ..Forwards .. experience and some up and coming, new signing Argie Ita is a match winner and has done that! 2nd row strong, front row OK; french Capt Guirado at 2.

Crowd hostile but a wonderful atmosphere and full house.

Lot's to relish ... but I still have this doubt about Scarlets very free attacking style. It could win/lose the game?

Scarlets can win both matches and Pivac seems the Coach to plan it, on the other hand Galthié is yet another new coach @ Toulon and their form this Season is 'variable'

This is the springboard for the Scarlets this Season and I look forward to it and I'd bet on Scarlets to emerge from the first 2 rounds with an advantage, ... but tighten up that defence!

For wht it's worth guys ...

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:54 am
World XV Player

Morning Tel, yes as I've stated in another thread rugby has lost much of it's appeal for me, I agree about Williams I've never really thought him the player many here do, is their weak link in midfield for sure, not sure I can comment on 1/2p as its been awhile since I've seen him, I would have thought someone of sanjays attacking threat would be missed so 1/2p needs to bring that to his game.
Well time to take the dogs for their walk, you know your getting older when the walks are shorter but seem much longer, Have a good day and I hope you and yours are all fine ;)

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:12 am
World XV Player

PS Scarlet supporters ....

Toulon play La Rochelle today
La Rochelle play the same sort of Rugby as Scarlets, it will be interesting to see who comes out best of this ...?

La Rochelle continuing their form of last Season and piling on the points...

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am
World XV Player

7,700 last night versus 5,630 for the corresponding game last year. Averaging over 9,000 season to date

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:04 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
7,700 last night versus 5,630 for the corresponding game last year. Averaging over 9,000 season to date

Get yr calculator out again ..? av over 9k?

http://origin.pro12rugby.com/matchcentr ... s_list.php

Average only maginally above the declared 8k break even point for Regions yonks ago.

Av for Top 14 and Aviva 13 - 14k?

Leinster, Munster, ulster too ....

Merge Osps and Scarlets?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
PS Scarlet supporters ....

Toulon play La Rochelle today
La Rochelle play the same sort of Rugby as Scarlets, it will be interesting to see who comes out best of this ...?

La Rochelle continuing their form of last Season and piling on the points...

Ding dong ...

Touln 20/6 1/2time

La Roc came back with typcical flamboyance 2nd half and couldve/shouldve won it ...ran Touln somewhat ragged and near tries....

Tln experience final mins saw them winners 26/20

Still reckon Scarlets can escape 1st 2 rds of Champs Cup ahead of Toulon...

Can't wait...

Beware Tuisova though, again tday he prved his capability and strength today.

An enjoyable match

Toulon and La qroc on equal pts now, L Roc not BP it's only 5 pts diff in Top14

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:40 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Even by Top 14 standards, Toulon has a lot of fatties. If the Scarlets can move them around, they could be in with a serious chance imo.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

had few sell outs have they

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:35 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

It is called building a brand and a business, something few Welsh people have the brains to understand.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:40 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

It is called building a brand and a business, something few Welsh people have the brains to understand.

I would call it reversing a trend in business terms ... if it is achieved?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next