It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Danny Wilson 
World XV Player

Post Re: Danny Wilson
Scarletrover wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Dai Yorkshire wrote:
Blindside wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Well you know me, if I've offended anyone's sensibilities then I would be the first to apologise. It's just that all this talk of Roger being right and regions going from 2 to 1 or whatever got me wondering about the old debates once again.

What the Scarlets have done is very impressive on the field, clearly, they have got something right, or perhaps i should say, many things right!

My question is this if they bring consistency of performance and quality of entertainment and still play to a half-empty stadium, to disappointingly small crowds, does it in itself highlight issues of the suitability of it as a "region"? Not trying to catch you out, honestly just thinking aloud with an open mind Rob?

A winning side is the first thing that is needed to draw crowds, The problem even a winning side has today is the variety of not just sports but other things that draw the crowds, Once you lose the crowds which rugby did in the 80s-90sit is very difficult to bring them back,
I am not the enthusiast I once was, Many of my friends say the same, are we now witnessing, " the beginning of the end "

Does not seem to be as much of a problem in England ?

Northampton drew 12,074 for their game with the Quins. Puts the Scarlets getting close to 8,000 (Fids :D ), into context.

Except Northampton is 90 mins up the motorway for Quins fans, whereas Connacht is most of a day's travel and an Irish sea away.

That was my point...

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:49 am
World XV Player

What has Phil BB to say about the Cardiff mess?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:55 am
Regional Player

najbritcol wrote:
club football attracts more fans than club rugby? Moreover, at least in the big three towns in South Wales if not the smaller towns and villages, I think you'll find that has always been the case.

The Dragons have bigger crowds than Newport County, always have, and Newport RFC were one of the best supported clubs pre-regionalisation - definitely bigger crowds than County in the 90s I would say; not sure about further back than that; but it's fairly safe to say that Rugby has drawn a bigger crowd *in Newport* than football for at least the last 30 years or so.

Of course it's quite possible that many football fans in Newport consider "their" team to be Cardiff City so there are still more Newportians attending football, they're just doing it next door rather than in the city. I think that right there you have at least part of a factor in the crowds which is that Welsh rugby supporters historically did not attend games elsewhere because they were supporting their local village side.

Personally from the start of regionalisation I'd have tried to impart a more historic and or geographical basis to the teams and their names (e.g. Gwent / Dyfed / Glamorgan / Valleys) but I suspect that to impose that now would do more harm than good. The regions are what we've got and chopping things up will only further damage the game.

Certainly the Blues should be a significant European Rugby force and their failure to be speaks of some systemic failure. I was disappointed that the WRU takeover did not take place as anything would be an improvement on the existing situation.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Well you know me, if I've offended anyone's sensibilities then I would be the first to apologise. It's just that all this talk of Roger being right and regions going from 2 to 1 or whatever got me wondering about the old debates once again.

What the Scarlets have done is very impressive on the field, clearly, they have got something right, or perhaps i should say, many things right!

My question is this if they bring consistency of performance and quality of entertainment and still play to a half-empty stadium, to disappointingly small crowds, does it in itself highlight issues of the suitability of it as a "region"? Not trying to catch you out, honestly just thinking aloud with an open mind Rob?

The main point I think is 'when' the Scarlets bring consistency. Yes, they are looking good but perhaps another few months of winning is needed. I decided last season that Scarlets are a team I want to support. However, I still need to go and see them play since they won last year.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:55 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7