It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Pro 14 Matches - 22nd & 23rd September 2017 
Club Player

Post Re: Pro 14 Matches - 22nd & 23rd September 2017
Figaro wrote:
I predicted all four results correctly, if not the margins! Just as well as I also predicted that Leinster would comfortably see off the Cheetahs.

The most significant result may be Zebre wiping the floor with the Kings. Questions will be asked about what they really bring tk the competition

Excellent punditry there Figaro, spot on.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I predicted all four results correctly, if not the margins! Just as well as I also predicted that Leinster would comfortably see off the Cheetahs.

The most significant result may be Zebre wiping the floor with the Kings. Questions will be asked about what they really bring tk the competition

Donkka and Figaro ..

Excellent punditry there Figaro, spot on.

Apologies for the duplicate ... don't throw the bay out with the bath water and don't miss the boat ;)

The potential is significant but not in its current status... e.g franglais participation, EPRC involvement and broader perspective, increased better quality migration etc. This is just really pilot status and I believe that there's more significant intention and backing that might not be evident now.

Rather than repeat myself further ....

There is some debate in this section for and against SA/N Hemp alignment and motivation ....reference here :
(more pp 2 and 3)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=74817

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:38 pm
Club Player

The kings' crowd vs Zebre was actually up 25% from the Leinster game, albeit that's a very low benchmark! From the highlights it sounded like a noticably better atmosphere.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

After the result, it may go the other way

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:00 pm
Club Player

To be fair Zebre have definitely improved from last year, but yeah, it's looking like a bleak season for the Kings, and unlike the Cheetahs they don't have Currie Cup cavalry coming (though presumably they will be able to strengthen a little by poaching others' players). The Kings still have some weak teams to visit them including Treviso, Edinburgh and the Dragons, but they're not going to be the favourites in any of those games.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Figaro wrote:
To be fair Zebre have definitely improved from last year, but yeah, it's looking like a bleak season for the Kings, and unlike the Cheetahs they don't have Currie Cup cavalry coming (though presumably they will be able to strengthen a little by poaching others' players). The Kings still have some weak teams to visit them including Treviso, Edinburgh and the Dragons, but they're not going to be the favourites in any of those games.

You left out the Ospreys :D

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkka wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Yeah! You have to include Ospreys BUT it is not because of the players. There is an underlying problem, which as always. starts at the top. Ospreys are going nowhere without a complete overhaul of their coaching staff. There is absolutely no cohesion between the forwards and the backs. It's a bit like watching 15 players each wanting to show their skills by hanging onto the ball too long. They seem to be worried that if they pass the ball the other player will get the 'glory' so it's better to die with the ball and try to recycle. I know it sounds silly but watching the Ospreys play is silly. I could do better with my time. Recycling is good but passing is better. It is more difficult to find gaps when you are continuously recycling. Overplaying the recycle always allows the opposition to get back into defensive positions. Continuous passing, probing and yes recycling is the way to break down defenses. Ospreys are relying mostly on recycling. At one stage Ospreys spent nearly 15 minutes in Treviso's 22 and never got through to the try line. Something is wrong.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Donkka wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Yeah! You have to include Ospreys BUT it is not because of the players. There is an underlying problem, which as always. starts at the top. Ospreys are going nowhere without a complete overhaul of their coaching staff. There is absolutely no cohesion between the forwards and the backs. It's a bit like watching 15 players each wanting to show their skills by hanging onto the ball too long. They seem to be worried that if they pass the ball the other player will get the 'glory' so it's better to die with the ball and try to recycle. I know it sounds silly but watching the Ospreys play is silly. I could do better with my time. Recycling is good but passing is better. It is more difficult to find gaps when you are continuously recycling. Overplaying the recycle always allows the opposition to get back into defensive positions. Continuous passing, probing and yes recycling is the way to break down defenses. Ospreys are relying mostly on recycling. At one stage Ospreys spent nearly 15 minutes in Treviso's 22 and never got through to the try line. Something is wrong.

I agree on the whole. However I repear as I am still unclear regarding this argument of why the Ospreys problems stem from the top (board level)

The thrust of most of the arguments seems to be that

- they have decent players who aren't playing as well as they should
- there is a lack of cohesion in play
- they
- the coaching needs to improve

On that basis, other than chosing the right coaching team, what more can the Ospreys do that the Scarlets seem to be doing? The stadium has been mentioned, but this goes beyond the Ospreys to an extent.

No agenda.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

The Ospreys could do what the Scarlets have done and sign some talented players.

Scarlets have recently signed - backs only - Patchell,JD2,1/2p, McNicoll
Ospreys - :scratch:

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile E-mail