It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Dragons v Connacht (Fri 15/9/17) 
World XV Player

Post Dragons v Connacht (Fri 15/9/17)
Dragons team to face Connacht

15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Ashton Hewitt, 13 Tyler Morgan, 12 Jack Dixon, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Gavin Henson, 9 Sarel Pretorius; 1 Brok Harris, 2 Elliot Dee, 3 Leon Brown, 4 Rynard Landman, 5 Cory Hill ©, 6 Harrison Keddie, 7 Ollie Griffiths, 8 James Benjamin.

Replacements: Gerard Ellis, Thomas Davies, Lloyd Fairbrother, Matthew Screech, Robson Blake, Owain Leonard, Dorian Jones, Jared Rosser.

Connacht to be advised.

TV Live coverage TBA.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons v Connacht (Fri 15/9/17)
I know I keep saying it, and dragons keep losing, but there is some real talent in that side

They just need a result and hopefully that young side will take off

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
I know I keep saying it, and dragons keep losing, but there is some real talent in that side

I'd like to see the two centres being a bit more aggressive especially on defense.
They started off reasonably well last Saturday but lost their way (shape and form) when Henson was moved to 12 and O'Brien came on at flyhalf. I know this was due to injury but would it not have been better to have kept Henson at ten and shuffled the rest of the backs around? Amos could have moved to 12 and O'Brien on to the wing. This would have made more sense, IMHO.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:

I'd like to see the two centres being a bit more aggressive especially on defense.
They started off reasonably well last Saturday but lost their way (shape and form) when Henson was moved to 12 and O'Brien came on at flyhalf. I know this was due to injury but would it not have been better to have kept Henson at ten and shuffled the rest of the backs around? Amos could have moved to 12 and O'Brien on to the wing. This would have made more sense, IMHO.

I didn't see the game and assuming the move of Henson from 10 to 12 was not a good idea, I assume the manager now has an idea that this is something not to do for future.

The manager needs to be allowed to make these mistakes or more to the point, experiment. So we know now that 10 and 12 of O'Brien and Henson does not work.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The 10-12 debate is interesting but the bigger issue is up front and at 9. So these kids need to learn quick.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I don't think this game is going to be televised. Much is the pity. :shock:

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
I don't think this game is going to be televised. Much is the pity. :shock:

I was going to change my plans too.. :P :D

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:51 am
Youth Player

Can someone please explain to me how Dragon's are favourites because I'm not having that...Not writing off the dragons but there is no scenario that they should be favs vs anyone bar the Italian teams and probably the SA sides at home.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Good to see Jackman is resisting the temptation to keep chopping and changing the side like Kingsley did. We all know the Dragons' first XXIII are weak enough without needing to plunge the depths of the squad and denying the likes of Hewitt, Keddie and Brown the game time they need to develop. Some different players are being given a chance on the bench - will be interesting to see how Ellis does as he is Jackman's first signing - but the changes to the first XV are largely forced by injury (Sam Beard>Dixon; Pretorius returning). Landman is rightly one of their better Locks but I imagine he was only on the bench before just so that they had someone who might make an impact to bring on. Probably the strongest XV they have put out yet, they will definitely want to try their best to win this as it's hard to see where else wins will come from if they don't.

Quote:
Amos could have moved to 12 and O'Brien on to the wing. This would have made more sense, IMHO.

O'Brien is a 10 and not a wing, and Henson can play at 10 or 12, whilst to my knowledge Amos has not played much if at all at Centre. O'Brien-Henson at 10-12 makes a lot more sense than rolling the dice about where the backs play.

I have been a fan of O'Brien in the past but am beginning to feel he is perhaps not up to Rugby at this level. I think this season is his last chance to really stake a claim. That said I certainly don't feel Dorian Jones is any better, but I suppose he deserves his shot. The Dragons are looking half decent with Henson at 10 and I really worry about what will happen when he inevitably gets injured.

Very good to see Pretorius back as he is the Dragons' only half-decent 9. They desperately need to recruit in this area.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cathalsmart wrote:
Can someone please explain to me how Dragon's are favourites because I'm not having that...Not writing off the dragons but there is no scenario that they should be favs vs anyone bar the Italian teams and probably the SA sides at home.

I don't think anyone said anything about them being favourites

It is an interesting game and figaro makes some good points particularly around o'Brian

A young player does not necessarily translate into potential world beater. They can be young and crap and then "develop" into old and crap.

Some of these younger players like brown, dee, keddie, griffiths, Morgan, Hewitt and Amos have a bit of a reputation. It would be great for Welsh rugby if these young players were actually any good. Or we could find out they were over hyped and actually not any good!

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The expectation that these players need to be world beaters or even international standard is unrealistic.

What I would hope for is a group of players who can develop into decent regional players to give those players who are genuine talents an opportunity to become top players. The Dragons normally have one really good international player but doesn't have the decent regional team to support him. They then move on and leave the Dragons. If we can create a half decent team, develop and retain top players, we will start to see decent progress.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The expectation that these players need to be world beaters or even international standard is unrealistic.

What I would hope for is a group of players who can develop into decent regional players to give those players who are genuine talents an opportunity to become top players. The Dragons normally have one really good international player but doesn't have the decent regional team to support him. They then move on and leave the Dragons. If we can create a half decent team, develop and retain top players, we will start to see decent progress.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Cymru am byth wrote:

All the above well and good, but I don't see the ambition from the WRU management team, no talk of quality players being sort, currently the assembled coaching team, not even second rate.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:17 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Good to see Jackman is resisting the temptation to keep chopping and changing the side like Kingsley did. We all know the Dragons' first XXIII are weak enough without needing to plunge the depths of the squad and denying the likes of Hewitt, Keddie and Brown the game time they need to develop. Some different players are being given a chance on the bench - will be interesting to see how Ellis does as he is Jackman's first signing - but the changes to the first XV are largely forced by injury (Sam Beard>Dixon; Pretorius returning). Landman is rightly one of their better Locks but I imagine he was only on the bench before just so that they had someone who might make an impact to bring on. Probably the strongest XV they have put out yet, they will definitely want to try their best to win this as it's hard to see where else wins will come from if they don't.

Quote:
Amos could have moved to 12 and O'Brien on to the wing. This would have made more sense, IMHO.

O'Brien is a 10 and not a wing, and Henson can play at 10 or 12, whilst to my knowledge Amos has not played much if at all at Centre. O'Brien-Henson at 10-12 makes a lot more sense than rolling the dice about where the backs play.

I have been a fan of O'Brien in the past but am beginning to feel he is perhaps not up to Rugby at this level. I think this season is his last chance to really stake a claim. That said I certainly don't feel Dorian Jones is any better, but I suppose he deserves his shot. The Dragons are looking half decent with Henson at 10 and I really worry about what will happen when he inevitably gets injured.

Very good to see Pretorius back as he is the Dragons' only half-decent 9. They desperately need to recruit in this area.

This failed miserably from the moment Henson was moved from 10.
I have made this point on a number of occasions you don't move your top number ten because he can play elsewhere to accommodate a lesser ten who can't play anywhere else. It is absolute madness to do so. As it proved last Saturday.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:32 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

All the above well and good, but I don't see the ambition from the WRU management team, no talk of quality players being sort, currently the assembled coaching team, not even second rate.

Fair point, but new manager, new ownership only 2 matches in. Let's hope they can improve.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail