It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 am

Opening round of Pro 14 Season. 
World XV Player

Post Re: Opening round of Pro 14 Season.
BigRed wrote:
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Blues were crap

Dragons always crap so no expectation. Such a state getting smashed somehow represents a decent result

Ospreys didn't see

Scarlets excellent. Enjoyed it. Well done

I think you are being a little hard on Dragons. They are arguably the youngest team in the competition.
Today they were up against the second best outfit (according to last years standing) in the Pro14.
I thought they played very well and I expect a gradual improvement every game.
I would say that they are where Scarlets were two seasons ago.
Rodney Parade looked a real picture and it is going to lift the boys playing there.
Don't expect miracles but watch this space.

All I can say about the Spreys they have problems but some of their big guns are missing so I expect them to improve.
The least said about the Blues the better. The Blues have an inherent problem that just won't go away. I personally think the the rot starts at the top which includes their selection of past sale by date SH players.

Having seen the dragons play a number of times and generally keep an eye on their results I reserve the right to call them in their ineptitude.

The young player thing is also a bit of a red herring... yes I agree Morgan Amos and Hewitt can be called good young players as they have demonstrated something which is worth persevering with

But Brown and keddie are untried youngsters who worked hard but offered little today

Dixon is a young player but on the scene a while and isn't getting any better.

So some serious recruitment needed

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

BigRed wrote:
Blues were crap

Dragons always crap so no expectation. Such a state getting smashed somehow represents a decent result

Ospreys didn't see

I think you are being a little hard on Dragons. They are arguably the youngest team in the competition.
Today they were up against the second best outfit (according to last years standing) in the Pro14.
Rodney Parade looked a real picture and it is going to lift the boys playing there.

All I can say about the Spreys they have problems but some of their big guns are missing so I expect them to improve.
The least said about the Blues the better. The Blues have an inherent problem that just won't go away. I personally think the the rot starts at the top which includes their selection of past sale by date SH players.

Are you for real? Since the 2010-11 season, Scarlets have always been (just about) in the top half of the table, and have contributed far more to Team Wales than have the Dragons for many years. Also, two seasons ago they didn't lose a Pro 12 match till November (away to Leinster - but unlike the Dragons they at least beat them at home!)

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

If I were Danny Wilson I would walk away from the Blues. Until they do what the Dragons are doing then they will be the underachievers of world rugby, being a capital city club, with a long tradition and next door to the cathedral of welsh rugby.

I dont know what is going on down there but as a welsh rugby fan and a rugby fan I am concerned that this great institution is not getting the investment it deserves to fulfill its potential.

I am not a Blues fan, but can see that we need as many welsh regions to be competitive to feed into the national side and the game of rugby. I hope this is resolved as they cannot continue to operate like this, Blues fans deserve better than this, Cardiff is vibrant city and I honestly feel that this region is being held back.

Ospreys - didnt see it, but from I have read lots of people want Tandy gone and are saying they are going backwards based on this poor performance.

Dragons - Hensons passing was sublime at times but even he couldnt stop Leinster. The Dragons have time to build and lets see where they are in January before we make any judgements.

Scarlets - phenomenal. The opposition were poor but how many times have we seen better teams react to banana skins, not the Scarlets. They played with flair, accuracy and pace. Brilliant execution and I hope they continue playing like this as its very exciting and entertaining to watch. I would like to see Pivac and SJ in the welsh xv set up.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:23 pm
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
If I were Danny Wilson I would walk away from the Blues. Until they do what the Dragons are doing then they will be the underachievers of world rugby, being a capital city club, with a long tradition and next door to the cathedral of welsh rugby. THEY HAD NO LEADERS - AND HARDLY ANY FOLLOWERS EITHER ....

I dont know what is going on down there but as a welsh rugby fan and a rugby fan I am concerned that this great institution is not getting the investment it deserves to fulfill its potential. WARBURTON IS QUITE IMPORTANT TO THEM?

I am not a Blues fan, but can see that we need as many welsh regions to be competitive to feed into the national side and the game of rugby. I hope this is resolved as they cannot continue to operate like this, Blues fans deserve better than this, Cardiff is vibrant city and I honestly feel that this region is being held back. YOU CAN SEE WHY PETER BEGGED THE WRU TO HELP OUT.

Ospreys - didnt see it, but from I have read lots of people want Tandy gone and are saying they are going backwards based on this poor performance. THEY WON.

Dragons - Hensons passing was sublime at times but even he couldnt stop Leinster. The Dragons have time to build and lets see where they are in January before we make any judgements. I WATCHED THIS ONE AND LEINSTER WERE A BIT COMMITTED - EVEN OVERCOMMITTED ON TIMES. WOW!!

Scarlets - phenomenal. The opposition were poor but how many times have we seen better teams react to banana skins, not the Scarlets. They played with flair, accuracy and pace. Brilliant execution and I hope they continue playing like this as its very exciting and entertaining to watch. I would like to see Pivac and SJ in the welsh xv set up.I SAW THE GAME ON SUNDAY. NOT A GOOD START AT ALL, VERY SLOPPY. THEN THEY CLICKED AND LOOKED VERY, VERY GOOD. THEIR LINES WERE NOTHING SHORT OF EXCELLENT. COMBINE THAT WITH GREAT SUPPORT PLAY AND THEY WERE PRETTY MUCH IRRESISTIBLE.

One point, the SA sides looked good when they had possession and they will get some wins this year.

Here's a risky prediction for you - WHEN THE SA SIDES GET THEIR FORWARDS TOGETHER AND FULLY FIT, THEY'LL BE A MATCH FOR MOST SIDES IN THE PRO14. THEIR RUNNING AND SUPPORT SKILLS ARE ALREADY VERY WATCHABLE.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
One point, the SA sides looked good when they had possession and they will get some wins this year.

Here's a risky prediction for you - WHEN THE SA SIDES GET THEIR FORWARDS TOGETHER AND FULLY FIT, THEY'LL BE A MATCH FOR MOST SIDES IN THE PRO14. THEIR RUNNING AND SUPPORT SKILLS ARE ALREADY VERY WATCHABLE.

Hi Bouch, I'm struggling with your comments regarding SA sides being fully fit? They are nearing the end of their season. They should be fit and we should improve when we get fitter! :D

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Hi Bouch, I'm struggling with your comments regarding SA sides being fully fit? They are nearing the end of their season. They should be fit and we should improve when we get fitter! :D

Well, it's like this - you're coming to the end of your rugby season and you've played a lot of games because you're one of the better players.

Most of the players that were better players, like you, opted to move on to other clubs.

You are one of the few better quality uncommited players left.

Are you following me so far?

Right.

So, you are invited to play PRO14 rugby.

You accept the offer.

You are now together as a group of players some 15 or 20 days (some even less) before your first scheduled game in the new league having played a significant number of games before the PRO14 offer.

The coach realises that he needs to produce some sort of team for the first scheduled game and he can't do more than assess what he has and train the new combinations of players to put up some kind of coordinated show.

That combination work will reap dividends over the next month or so but not necessarily to the standard you'll reach later in the season.

Capiche?

The Scarlets are already wonderful as they've played together for a while. Some for years ....

Do you see the difference?

The Scarlets needed half an hour to get their act together, the Bok club will need a bit longer.

Capiche?

If I was being unkind, your lot can only get worse now because the return of your horde of Lions forwards will disrupt the team you put out on the weekend.

:D

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:18 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Well, it's like this - you're coming to the end of your rugby season and you've played a lot of games because you're one of the better players.

Most of the players that were better players, like you, opted to move on to other clubs.

Right.

You accept the offer.

You are now together as a group of players some 15 or 20 days (some even less) before your first scheduled game in the new league having played a significant number of games before the PRO14 offer.

The coach realises that he needs to produce some sort of team for the first scheduled game and he can't do more than assess what he has and train the new combinations of players to put up some kind of coordinated show.

That combination work will reap dividends over the next month or so but not necessarily to the standard you'll reach later in the season.

Capiche?

The Scarlets are already wonderful as they've played together for a while. Some for years ....

The Scarlets needed half an hour to get their act together, the Bok club will need a bit longer.

Capiche?

If I was being unkind, your lot can only get worse now because the return of your horde of Lions forwards will disrupt the team you put out on the weekend.

Difficult to follow your reasoning from a logical point of view.
TBQH looks like you're having me on! :D

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:26 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Does any one understand this?
http://www.superxv.com/table/

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Given that the Southern Kings have apparently only been together for a couple of weeks, I thought they showed real skill and pace in the first half. A couple of the backs, notably the 10 and the back 3, were impressive.

Yes, Scarlets took a while to hit their straps, and the second half really got going, but when you think of the "lesser" teams in the RWC, who don't have their squad together for weeks before the competition, you see them improve game on game once they get used to their team mates styles.

Seen that not just the Welsh teams, but all the other sides in the league lose a significant number of players for weeks at a go during the Internationals and the build up to them, and these teams won't, and that

SA in January/February is scorchio. PE has a breeze coming in off the ocean, but Bloemfontein is in the middle of a desert, and those lads will be playing at home,

I reckon that if not in the first year, but certainly next, these two teams will be contenders.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:33 am
World XV Player

Fattaff wrote:
Given that the Southern Kings have apparently only been together for a couple of weeks, I thought they showed real skill and pace in the first half. A couple of the backs, notably the 10 and the back 3, were impressive.

Yes, Scarlets took a while to hit their straps, and the second half really got going, but when you think of the "lesser" teams in the RWC, who don't have their squad together for weeks before the competition, you see them improve game on game once they get used to their team mates styles.

Seen that not just the Welsh teams, but all the other sides in the league lose a significant number of players for weeks at a go during the Internationals and the build up to them, and these teams won't, and that

SA in January/February is scorchio. PE has a breeze coming in off the ocean, but Bloemfontein is in the middle of a desert, and those lads will be playing at home,

I reckon that if not in the first year, but certainly next, these two teams will be contenders.

Desert?That's pushing it. :D
It is a bit dry with an annual average precipitation is about 56 cms, but hardly a desert. Height above sea level about 4500 feet, a little higher than Ben Nevis but not as high as Johannesburg. The difference in temperature between night and day can be huge. It can vary from minus 2/3 in the early morning to 30 plus by 2:00 pm. Before traveling to Bloemfontein give our boys one or two weeks training in somewhere in the Pyrenees to acclimatize. :D

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Right.

You accept the offer.

Capiche?

Capiche?

Sorry, couldn't resist, byti.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:33 pm
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Blues were crap

Ospreys didn't see

Having seen the dragons play a number of times and generally keep an eye on their results I reserve the right to call them in their ineptitude.

The young player thing is also a bit of a red herring... yes I agree Morgan Amos and Hewitt can be called good young players as they have demonstrated something which is worth persevering with

But Brown and keddie are untried youngsters who worked hard but offered little today
Need to be given some time - first start for Brown I think and I don't think Keddie hasn't started many? And they were up against a big, tough experienced Leinster pack.

Been injured a-lot though, would be good to see how he develops if he can stay fit for a full season.

Agreed, in particular they could do with a big beast of a 2nd row IMO - Screech looked out his depth to me.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:19 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Right.

You accept the offer.

Capiche?

Capiche?

Sorry, couldn't resist, byti.

Bouch - just for you:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41142526

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Old Second Row wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Blues were crap

Ospreys didn't see

Need to be given some time - first start for Brown I think and I don't think Keddie hasn't started many? And they were up against a big, tough experienced Leinster pack.

Been injured a-lot though, would be good to see how he develops if he can stay fit for a full season.

Agreed, in particular they could do with a big beast of a 2nd row IMO - Screech looked out his depth to me.

Yep screech was well put his depth. Honest trier though

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:

I saw the show, BR.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:29 am