It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Ospreys v Zebre 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Ospreys v Zebre
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
or they are both crap...especially the O's without their 3 best players.

Yeah. If the Ospreys continue like this, then I can see them lose their away matches this season to the Dragons and at least one of the Italian teams. Even so, they have the (mildly welcome) distinction of being the only Welsh region to remain unbeaten at home against Italian teams. (Remember 17-41? Oh and the Blues gifted Zebre their first ever win...)

Aye, only one Lion on show - very poor fare from their stars watching on.

Ospreys need a good coach otherwise they are going to go the way of Cardiff.
TBQH I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Dragons as our number 2 Wales region 'ere long.
Dragons are a young team with a good thinking coach. Try contrasting that with the Blues and Ospreys set ups.
I know a lot of punters are pre-judging the Dragons but from the WRU take over on the first of July we are looking at a different set of circumstances. A new experienced coach, a Rodney Parade that is not going to be water logged the whole season so not having to play 50% of their league matches on a lousy pitch. Things will change there, for sure.
I see no change in Ospreys or Blues to justify any confidence and it's only one game into the season.
By the end of this season this is how I see the final placings come time for the knock outs. Scarlets, Ospreys, Dragons and trailing the Blues.

Where do you see the Welsh teams in the overall Pro 14 rankings? I certainly think Scarlets could be serious title contenders again.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Yeah. If the Ospreys continue like this, then I can see them lose their away matches this season to the Dragons and at least one of the Italian teams. Even so, they have the (mildly welcome) distinction of being the only Welsh region to remain unbeaten at home against Italian teams. (Remember 17-41? Oh and the Blues gifted Zebre their first ever win...)

TBQH I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Dragons as our number 2 Wales region 'ere long.
Dragons are a young team with a good thinking coach. Try contrasting that with the Blues and Ospreys set ups.
I know a lot of punters are pre-judging the Dragons but from the WRU take over on the first of July we are looking at a different set of circumstances. A new experienced coach, a Rodney Parade that is not going to be water logged the whole season so not having to play 50% of their league matches on a lousy pitch. Things will change there, for sure.
I see no change in Ospreys or Blues to justify any confidence and it's only one game into the season.
By the end of this season this is how I see the final placings come time for the knock outs. Scarlets, Ospreys, Dragons and trailing the Blues.

Where do you see the Welsh teams in the overall Pro 14 rankings? I certainly think Scarlets could be serious title contenders again.

I still think Ospreys will be in the mix come knock out stages this season, but I also believe they are being held together with sticky tape. A few very good players holding some sort of standard but nearing the end of their careers. There are no ready replacements for those stars and the coaching team is a bit weak.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

I still think Ospreys will be in the mix come knock out stages this season, but I also believe they are being held together with sticky tape. A few very good players holding some sort of standard but nearing the end of their careers. There are no ready replacements for those stars and the coaching team is a bit weak.

I think the younger Ospreys backs are formidable - Sam Davies, Ben John, Dafydd Howells, Eli Walker, Keelan Giles, Owen Watkin etc. - but their younger forwards are not, and that goes some way to explain their deterioration as unlike e.g. Scarlets, Leinster or Wasps, their game has traditionally been of the scrum-and-grunt variety. As a result, they look a mess as they are trying to retain a style and game plan for which they no longer have enough suitable players. Nevertheless, I still maintain that (at least in theory) an Ospreys first XV is better than a Scarlets first XV, but crucially the latter seem to have better youngsters and are less noticeably affected by injuries and international call-ups than the former.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Just in case you missed the Ospreys tries on the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41124441

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 am