It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Dragons v Leinster 
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons v Leinster
Game sums up where dragons are and was good to have a look at the players with one their stronger line ups in my opinion. Lots of young players and some promising but some not great. My observations

1. Need a lock forward. Screech and landman aren't up to it. Too much is asked of Cory hill who is a decent player but needs some help
2. Williams did well in backrow when on
3. Scrum half is an issue. All terrible
4. Dixon. Case in point. Young-ish player never progressed. Limited understanding of the game. Put Henson at 12 and Angus at 10.
5. Morgan, Hewitt and Amos is where the quality is. Problem is getting the ball out there

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:52 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Game sums up where dragons are and was good to have a look at the players with one their stronger line ups in my opinion. Lots of young players and some promising but some not great. My observations

1. Need a lock forward. Screech and landman aren't up to it. Too much is asked of Cory hill who is a decent player but needs some help
4. Dixon. Case in point. Young-ish player never progressed. Limited understanding of the game. Put Henson at 12 and Angus at 10.
5. Morgan, Hewitt and Amos is where the quality is. Problem is getting the ball out there

We need to put Dragons defeat into perspective, 16 - 39 against the second to the top side in the Pro 14. SA Kings went down 57 - 10 to the top Pro 14 team. Dragons shipped 5 tries whereas Kings shipped 8 tries.
I think we need to reserve judgment on both Dragons and Kings until they come up against the more mediocre teams in the competition.
Like Ospreys :D (only joking)

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Didn't catch the game, but saw the report. How did Brown do at TH? I think the key when there is so many youngsters in the side is to have a bit of experienced grunt up front and an experienced 9/10 axis who can provide a bit of control.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:

Didn't catch the game, but saw the report. How did Brown do at TH? I think the key when there is so many youngsters in the side is to have a bit of experienced grunt up front and an experienced 9/10 axis who can provide a bit of control.

He looks a good athlete with suprisingly good hands. His scrumaging needs some work and was crunched a few times

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Just re watched the game, and in all honesty they just look like a team that is nervous and hasn't really clicked yet. The tries mostly came from dumb mistakes and jitters.
A few issues though. Dixon needs to improve his all round game. If he just learnt to read plays better he could be a fantastic 12, but he's just so cumbersome at current. Tyler Morgan also needs to start passing far more.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:58 am
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Agreed that the Dragons need a second row, but they could also do with some more muscle in the back row - I think their only back row player of definite quality is Ollie Griffiths, and he seems more the 6/7/8 utility type than an outright bruiser. Oh for a Ross Moriarty.

Apparently Nic Cudd has been sidelined for the whole season with a freak injury. Max Williams looked good when on and is a player I'd like to see some more of, but it's very early days just yet.

Henson looked skilled, and resilient, but glacially slow, and the better sides will exploit that. He is not the long-term future and they need to be looking elsewhere; Angus O'Brien has had a lot of exposure now and needs to really step up if he is to prove anything more than average.

The experiment of moving Brok Harris to LH seemed to work well enough, and is probably for the best if Leon Brown is to come through. It's a pretty damning indictment of the squad's looseheads though.

Suspect we will see a big clearout at the end of the year.

I would like to see them target Rhodri Williams (Bristol), Sam Lewis (Worcester) as well as a decent lock, .

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Agreed that the Dragons need a second row, but they could also do with some more muscle in the back row - I think their only back row player of definite quality is Ollie Griffiths, and he seems more the 6/7/8 utility type than an outright bruiser. Oh for a Ross Moriarty.

Apparently Nic Cudd has been sidelined for the whole season with a freak injury. Max Williams looked good when on and is a player I'd like to see some more of, but it's very early days just yet.

Henson looked skilled, and resilient, but glacially slow, and the better sides will exploit that.

I thought Henson wasn't "glacially slow" - he passed the ball more often than not and always had opposition players on him fairly quickly at the beginning of the game.

Once the Leinster players twigged that he'd pass more than run or kick he was almost ignored - an interception came from that as the Leinster rush defence worked very well.

In short, Leinster dominated with the ball and without it.

The Dragons were outmuscled and Leinster must have enjoyed the run out.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 am