It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SA Sides to P12? 
World XV Player

Post Re: SA Sides to P12?
Is the 2 conferences etc. sensible?

Some format suggestions here

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40583145

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:47 pm
World XV Player

Is the 2 conferences etc. sensible?

Some format suggestions here
-------------------

The South African franchises, who play their final Super Rugby game on Friday, would join 12 teams from Wales, Italy, Ireland and Scotland from September.

The revamp could see the league divided into two conferences of seven teams.

If agreed, that would see teams play their conference rivals home and away, but they are expected to also play against teams in the other conference at least once.

It is understood clubs are eager to safeguard as many derby games in the season as possible.

Kings and Cheetahs bow out of Super Rugby

Southern Kings
Southern Kings have won six of 14 games in Super Rugby so far this season
The Kings and Cheetahs are able "to explore other international opportunities" as they are poised to leave Super Rugby, the southern hemisphere's premier club competition between clubs from South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Japan.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40583145
----------

Seems bit of a mish mash?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:49 pm
Regional Junior Player

Have said it before. It is total lunacy to bring in other far removed countries out of financial desperation. A domestic competition needs to keep rivalries local otherwise a competition becomes irrelevant to the fans and players. To think a team may only play Munster once and instead play an irrelevant South African team twice. Would absolute rubbish. Then they want to bring in a couple of substandard North American teams.

The Pro 12 is not failing! We are producing talent and that is by far more important than chasing money. If anything there is an argument to kick out the Italian teams, but lets build on what we have please. I can't believe they are coming up with a totally rubbish and arbitary format to fit in 2 mediocre/failing South African teams, especially at time when South African rugby is on the slide.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

These 2 sa teams are not the weakest in the S18
an added advantage is sa as a really cheap tourist destination inbetween the 2 games between the Kings and Cheetahs and maybe a week before or a week after your favourite Pro12 team played here
Big game drives in 5 star luxury for the price of three hamburgers in the uk

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:44 pm
World XV Player

Away support is another Pro 12 myth other than local derbys.

If it adds revenue and forms Conferences and provides opportunity for meritocracy and ultimate seeding should the game grow, as is on the cards, then it's progressive.

The likes of Welsh Rugby should follow a more meritocratic allocation basis too.

Also, imo, out of acorns oak trees grow and I don't think SA affinity with N Hemp is anything like limited to this. It is the. S Hemp that will have to get a firmer act together in my opinion as S A abandon that ship.

It's ripe for a growing conference that may well grow to bigger scope in N Hemp....the Saracens consortium and SA faction of that aint invested that much money for nothing ;)

I would be far more cautious of transatlantic affinity and that should be of a loosely coupled nature and perhaps only competitive at a play off level against the lower seeded Pro 12 conference at Season end ...or the like.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:25 pm
Youth Player

Just watched the S Kings v Cheetahs game on Sky. The standard was v good and I reckon that both these teams would worry all but the very best in the Pro12.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Saw some good running rugby in this ... was an entertaining game

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 pm
World XV Player

do they get to play in the RCC :D

point being they get at least 6 weeks 'off'

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:22 pm
International Player

Donkka wrote:
Just watched the S Kings v Cheetahs game on Sky. The standard was v good and I reckon that both these teams would worry all but the very best in the Pro12.

I imagine both teams will lose players to the other SA teams but will still be good.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

NH rugby is stuck in the mud, the best rugby we see is when the weather gets better at the end of the season, the whole rugby calendar needs switching around so we play during the good weather. I pity the SA sides having to come to Britain and Ireland to play in cold, wet, windy conditions, and we wonder why supporters can't be bothered to get off their armchairs and go to games. Given the choice between standing or sitting in the conditions mentioned or sitting in a nice comfy armchair with a great view of the game on TV, its a no brainer that most opt for the armchair.
We should run our season at the same time as the SH, all league games should be done in one block, followed by the euro games, once all these have been completed, have the 6 Nations, which can be followed by internationals against the SH teams, Bobs your uncle, jobs a goodun.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Looks like the move has been agreed with a conference system.

2 conferences of 7 with 2 Irish, 2 Welsh and one of each of the rest.

Home and away in conference (12 matches)
Home or away v other conference (7 matches)
One match either home or away v own country rival.

Total = 20 matches

Play offs
Week 1
2nd A v 3rd B match 1
2nd B v 3rd A match 2

Week 2
1st A v winner match 2 (match 3)
1st B v winner match 1 (match 4)

Week 3
Rest week

Week 4
Grand Final at pre booked venue (neutral)

Total weeks = 24

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Does that kaibosh Christma derby's?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 pm
World XV Player

BBC reporting it as agreed this evening an extra £6 million income straight off the bat from the SA union and a new tv deal to add money to the club coffers best change to PRO14 in the headings now.... Not sure the conference style is agreed yet though... So the league becomes closer to a world league.... Far from the old Celtic league days now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Excuse me, will I still be able to see Scarlets playing the Ospreys on Boxing day.

I mean to say, this is one of the highlights of my season, my north my south my east my west, My working week and my Sunday rest,My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song, I thought this fixture would last forever: Was I wrong. :dontknow:

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm
World XV Player

Leinsterblue wrote:
BBC reporting it as agreed this evening an extra £6 million income straight off the bat from the SA union and a new tv deal to add money to the club coffers best change to PRO14 in the headings now.... Not sure the conference style is agreed yet though... So the league becomes closer to a world league.... Far from the old Celtic league days now

In your face Roger Lewis. :thefinger:

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next