It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans 
World XV Player

Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
BigRed wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Also Blindside, apologies for the overtly aggressive nature of my original response, had bad day at the game of life

Did the ref give you a red card. :D

Nah, these refs are the good sort, those you share a laugh, and when it goes a bit too far you have a quiet word........ havent spoken to any of them in years!!!! BS just deserved the apology (mark the date!)

Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Regional Player

So, shouldn't even have been a red card. A view point that was lambasted by some people on the match thread :thumbup:

Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ironrobson21 wrote:
So, shouldn't even have been a red card. A view point that was lambasted by some people on the match thread :thumbup:

No, sufficient penalty incurred by prolonged absence during the match.

The fact that the Scarlets won anyway is irrelevant ...he incurred heightened risk by his absence.

Imo ...alls well that ends well move on and beat Munster ;)

Thu May 25, 2017 9:18 am
World XV Player

The red card was recinded, which means it was cancelled. It ceased to exist. It was the wrong decision.

Thu May 25, 2017 11:25 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
The red card was recinded, which means it was cancelled. It ceased to exist. It was the wrong decision.

Apologies to all for my above post, I hadn't read the derail and thought that there was no follow on penalty. :oops: :oops:

I will go to room 3 (that was the detention room, opposiie headmaster's study, in my schooldays, I spent a lot of time there)

Thu May 25, 2017 11:49 am
thread ruining clique

Finally, common sense prevails. I'm glad for the lad.

Thu May 25, 2017 12:48 pm
World XV Player

I feel that the decision to overturn the card was in the spirit of the game. I think the ref made the right decision considering the law and had no choice. However, as I understand the rules, if the panel said this they had no choice but to give him a ban.

Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Yep, right outcome in the end.
Given the form he's in would have been a real shame if Evans had had to miss the big one this Saturday in Dublin and the summer tour.

Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 pm
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
Blindside wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Blindside wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Lifting isn't illegal, but if you pick someone up, you have to put them down, and if you pick them up and fail to put them down safely you should be punished heavily. Lifting may be desirable, but it is far from a necessary tenet of the game, quite the opposite in actual fact

Well you dont have to put them down safely, you are punished for lifting their hips above their head. You can lift them drive them back and smash your whole weight into their midriff or lower chest. You are responsible for their safety when lifting their hips above their waiste. The point being the tackle is often a contest of power, you shut his power off when you lift him. The tackler is as often more often injured than the player tackled, so you cannot hamper his physicality in that area. Rugby is a contact sport and lifting a player to negate his power (legs) is a "necessary tenet" even at under 9 level (first season tackling) it would be part of the tuition, in part to keep the tackler safe in a head on tackle.

I understand how tackling works thanks, shame you don't.

There is no requirement to tackle a player and lift and negate power.

The prescribed technique for tackling by all unions at all levels is to step in with leading leg, go head behind ass, wrap arms and roll with the tackle.

Quote:
even at under 9 level (first season tackling) it would be part of the tuition, in part to keep the tackler safe in a head on tackle

What you've written there is utter *fupping* drivel

:) listen oh knowledgeable one, with a front on tackle in which you seek to dominate or be aggressive rather than passive you would strike with your hips below shoulders and drive up, you would/could/should also use your arms to wrap lock and lift at the knee( not tip), the purpose of that is to stop your opponent getting purchase on the ground and propelling himself forward and the tackler back. If you lift him off the ground thats fine but the force is upwards and you drive him back.

The prescribed technique you quote is a more passive tackle where you allow the player to come to the side of you and from a head on the position, virtually create a side on tackle. It is impossible to hit a player backwards in this technique although it is correct and often the only option depending on the nature of the contact. However, i would consider it creating a side on tackle as the technique is the same.

Option one or two would depend on how confident you are that you have the upper hand in the approach.

I would coach kids both ways........ there is no requirement to "negate power" but i would like to be able to do it, where you have a chance your aim is to dominate the contact.

That's a far better response.

I would agree, and have not suggested otherwise, that an 'aggressive' tackle as opposed to a 'passive' tackle is favourable.

I have also said that rugby is in a tight spot, a hard driving tackle is preferable, however it can lead to H&S implications purely through the momentum of players. Hell those of us who have played know what it's like to put ina tackle of such and also receive one.

My point still stands, though, that you can tackle safely, with minimal risk to yourself (although head on the wrong side when in such a tackle can be very very dangerous....) and more importantly in the context of this discussion, without tipping, dumping upending and ball carrying player, and it is this technique that is proscribed as the way to tackle by all unions, and a powerful tackle as we'd all like is definitely not a 'necessary tenet'

I like you coach both, and I understand your frustration at one type being villified, I also understand your point of view about if one type is outlawed then the game is in dire straits. I would tend to agree, however we're going to lose that argument, it will create a different game, and despite lack of intention to hurt, it will become even more heavily sanctioned.

As a tangent if someone runs at you and slips and you clothesline them 12inches off the floor, you're in line for a yellow card!

Rugby is in a tight spot

Yes agree with all of that 100% infact me saying about coaching under 9's to lift and dominate in the head on takle (although to an extent i do) in reality it is not the priority, safe tackling is, many kids are not ready to physically dominate, so you had a point, but my chip on my shoulder was whispering, dont admit it :)

No need to appologise, although you nearly went on my "must confront list" ;)

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu May 25, 2017 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail