It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans 
Author Message
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2046
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
The hearing is on Wednesday, apparently.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... f-13073948


Mon May 22, 2017 4:34 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 2082
Location: On a very steep hill
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Ah. the one eyes are back


If you actually watch what happened and have a brain, you might see why.. ;)

Given it's an Irish panel, and the Irish are well, Irish..I expect he won't be allowed to play whatever the facts.

I saw it on the TV when it happened and also looked it up on youtube a couple of times
Still think it is a fair RC

_________________
I'm politically correct, a social justice warrior, a Snowflake and a male feminist ......apparently
I'm also a dopey *bar steward* a childish fukkwit and a liar


Mon May 22, 2017 5:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
Posts: 30246
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
I'd be surprised if any other action was taken against him, nothing deliberate about the tackle.

_________________
You cannot enslave my mind, therefore I will always be a free man.
I can count my true friends on the hairs on the palms of my hands.


Mon May 22, 2017 5:47 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59361
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Big And Dull wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Ah. the one eyes are back


If you actually watch what happened and have a brain, you might see why.. ;)

Given it's an Irish panel, and the Irish are well, Irish..I expect he won't be allowed to play whatever the facts.

I saw it on the TV when it happened and also looked it up on youtube a couple of times
Still think it is a fair RC


Agreied, which is what everyone said at the time in the match thread. Mitrea didn't want to send him off, but had no choice.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11430
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
CymraegJanner wrote:
Blindside wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Lifting isn't illegal, but if you pick someone up, you have to put them down, and if you pick them up and fail to put them down safely you should be punished heavily. Lifting may be desirable, but it is far from a necessary tenet of the game, quite the opposite in actual fact


Well you dont have to put them down safely, you are punished for lifting their hips above their head. You can lift them drive them back and smash your whole weight into their midriff or lower chest. You are responsible for their safety when lifting their hips above their waiste. The point being the tackle is often a contest of power, you shut his power off when you lift him. The tackler is as often more often injured than the player tackled, so you cannot hamper his physicality in that area. Rugby is a contact sport and lifting a player to negate his power (legs) is a "necessary tenet" even at under 9 level (first season tackling) it would be part of the tuition, in part to keep the tackler safe in a head on tackle.

I understand how tackling works thanks, shame you don't.

There is no requirement to tackle a player and lift and negate power.

The prescribed technique for tackling by all unions at all levels is to step in with leading leg, go head behind ass, wrap arms and roll with the tackle.

Quote:
even at under 9 level (first season tackling) it would be part of the tuition, in part to keep the tackler safe in a head on tackle

What you've written there is utter *fupping* drivel



:) listen oh knowledgeable one, with a front on tackle in which you seek to dominate or be aggressive rather than passive you would strike with your hips below shoulders and drive up, you would/could/should also use your arms to wrap lock and lift at the knee( not tip), the purpose of that is to stop your opponent getting purchase on the ground and propelling himself forward and the tackler back. If you lift him off the ground thats fine but the force is upwards and you drive him back.

The prescribed technique you quote is a more passive tackle where you allow the player to come to the side of you and from a head on the position, virtually create a side on tackle. It is impossible to hit a player backwards in this technique although it is correct and often the only option depending on the nature of the contact. However, i would consider it creating a side on tackle as the technique is the same.

Option one or two would depend on how confident you are that you have the upper hand in the approach.

I would coach kids both ways........ there is no requirement to "negate power" but i would like to be able to do it, where you have a chance your aim is to dominate the contact.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:48 pm
Posts: 12411
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
I don't think there was any malice in at all, but if you lift the legs in an uncontrolled manner then that's the risk you take. he wasn't lifted a great height, but he swung round and landed on his head and continued rotating. It could have been a lot better it could also have been a lot worse. And these rules are to try and prevent things erring onto the lot worse side.

unfortunately i think he should get 4 weeks, or what ever the minimum sanction is. otherwise what is the point of a minimum sanction.


Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 43920
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
mr messy wrote:
I don't think there was any malice in at all, but if you lift the legs in an uncontrolled manner then that's the risk you take. he wasn't lifted a great height, but he swung round and landed on his head and continued rotating. It could have been a lot better it could also have been a lot worse. And these rules are to try and prevent things erring onto the lot worse side.

unfortunately i think he should get 4 weeks, or what ever the minimum sanction is. otherwise what is the point of a minimum sanction.


There were two Scarlets involved, do they get a fortnight each?

The TMO didn't mention Samson's tug at the guy's shoulder and that was not good enough. It was a factor.


Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 pm
Profile
Regional Player

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:57 am
Posts: 646
Location: Leinster
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Ah. the one eyes are back


If you actually watch what happened and have a brain, you might see why.. ;)

Given it's an Irish panel, and the Irish are well, Irish..I expect he won't be allowed to play whatever the facts.


Scottish Panel


Wed May 24, 2017 12:21 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59361
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Fingal wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
Ah. the one eyes are back


If you actually watch what happened and have a brain, you might see why.. ;)

Given it's an Irish panel, and the Irish are well, Irish..I expect he won't be allowed to play whatever the facts.


Scottish Panel


Must have been hard to find 3 of them who have read the Book of Laws.. :P

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 am
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2046
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
The panel have given him the all-clear.


Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5293
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
najbritcol wrote:
The panel have given him the all-clear.

Yay! It was obviously not deliberate and Samson Lee's intervention led to the problem.
I've no problem with the red card (because we won). :D
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... d-13084174


Wed May 24, 2017 12:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:49 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Wales, mun.
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Great news! Big boost to us ahead of Saturday

_________________
Scarlet Fever - there is no cure!


Wed May 24, 2017 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10868
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Blindside wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Blindside wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
Lifting isn't illegal, but if you pick someone up, you have to put them down, and if you pick them up and fail to put them down safely you should be punished heavily. Lifting may be desirable, but it is far from a necessary tenet of the game, quite the opposite in actual fact


Well you dont have to put them down safely, you are punished for lifting their hips above their head. You can lift them drive them back and smash your whole weight into their midriff or lower chest. You are responsible for their safety when lifting their hips above their waiste. The point being the tackle is often a contest of power, you shut his power off when you lift him. The tackler is as often more often injured than the player tackled, so you cannot hamper his physicality in that area. Rugby is a contact sport and lifting a player to negate his power (legs) is a "necessary tenet" even at under 9 level (first season tackling) it would be part of the tuition, in part to keep the tackler safe in a head on tackle.

I understand how tackling works thanks, shame you don't.

There is no requirement to tackle a player and lift and negate power.

The prescribed technique for tackling by all unions at all levels is to step in with leading leg, go head behind ass, wrap arms and roll with the tackle.

Quote:
even at under 9 level (first season tackling) it would be part of the tuition, in part to keep the tackler safe in a head on tackle

What you've written there is utter *fupping* drivel



:) listen oh knowledgeable one, with a front on tackle in which you seek to dominate or be aggressive rather than passive you would strike with your hips below shoulders and drive up, you would/could/should also use your arms to wrap lock and lift at the knee( not tip), the purpose of that is to stop your opponent getting purchase on the ground and propelling himself forward and the tackler back. If you lift him off the ground thats fine but the force is upwards and you drive him back.

The prescribed technique you quote is a more passive tackle where you allow the player to come to the side of you and from a head on the position, virtually create a side on tackle. It is impossible to hit a player backwards in this technique although it is correct and often the only option depending on the nature of the contact. However, i would consider it creating a side on tackle as the technique is the same.

Option one or two would depend on how confident you are that you have the upper hand in the approach.

I would coach kids both ways........ there is no requirement to "negate power" but i would like to be able to do it, where you have a chance your aim is to dominate the contact.

That's a far better response.

I would agree, and have not suggested otherwise, that an 'aggressive' tackle as opposed to a 'passive' tackle is favourable.

I have also said that rugby is in a tight spot, a hard driving tackle is preferable, however it can lead to H&S implications purely through the momentum of players. Hell those of us who have played know what it's like to put ina tackle of such and also receive one.

My point still stands, though, that you can tackle safely, with minimal risk to yourself (although head on the wrong side when in such a tackle can be very very dangerous....) and more importantly in the context of this discussion, without tipping, dumping upending and ball carrying player, and it is this technique that is proscribed as the way to tackle by all unions, and a powerful tackle as we'd all like is definitely not a 'necessary tenet'

I like you coach both, and I understand your frustration at one type being villified, I also understand your point of view about if one type is outlawed then the game is in dire straits. I would tend to agree, however we're going to lose that argument, it will create a different game, and despite lack of intention to hurt, it will become even more heavily sanctioned.

As a tangent if someone runs at you and slips and you clothesline them 12inches off the floor, you're in line for a yellow card!

Rugby is in a tight spot

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10868
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
Also Blindside, apologies for the overtly aggressive nature of my original response, had bad day at the game of life

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5293
Post Re: Disciplinary hearing re Steff Evans
CymraegJanner wrote:
Also Blindside, apologies for the overtly aggressive nature of my original response, had bad day at the game of life

Did the ref give you a red card. :D


Wed May 24, 2017 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: