It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Munster v Ospreys 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59993
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
wombles wrote:
Play offs will always divide opinion, however in our Aviva prem we have just watched 4 teams slog it out in front of two electric and passionate crowds! Although controversial it has turned out to be a success for us.


Both games were excellent too and high quality

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:21 am
Posts: 1933
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
Big And Dull wrote:
cosh wrote:
For the good of our guys going to NZ, I would like to see next weeks final played without any chosen Lions taking part ( obviously it won't happen ) but I bet that any Lion who misses out due to an injury next week will be regretting playing in such a farcical game. Just an idea, but why not play such a final as a season opener in future when it coincides with a Lions tour ( same for the English play off final too )

Because most players contracts end at the end of the season so playing the game at the beginning of the next season could mean teams have vastly different squads?


You play for the name of the team not the players name on the back of your shirt. I'm suggesting that in the year of an immediate upcoming Lions tour, these games can be arranged either earlier or as I suggested, early next season irrespective of what individuals are not there from the previous season. It's likely we will be going to NZ with many players carrying unecessary injuries which doesn't help our cause, it should, and could be easily avoided.


Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm
Posts: 4356
Location: North of England
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
Langland Exile wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
I can understand some wanting to minimize Munster here, but they haven't made the major mistakes, we were guilty of at the RDS. Their defence has been magnificent overall and the transition for the Zebo score was equal to anything achieved by the Scarlets last night.

This has been a bit of a hammering for Swansea and Ireland has secured some pride in so doing.

Sean


Munster were under very little pressure and did not face any innovative attacking. That was not true of last night. I see the final as a similar game to last night where I expect Munster to get 65-70% of the ball and the Scarlets will rely on counter attacks to score.

Munster's defence is likely to be better than Leinster's, but they seem to have less team speed.

Breakdown will be big, and a clear ref needed.


Plenty of pressure, pretty much all of it predictable and ponderous in imposition.
If the Scarlets operate on 30% of possession, against a team that can maul most any opposition off the park, then I imagine Munster would accept that split TBH.

A clear ref indeed and let's see what develops over the piece.

Sean


Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5616
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
I can understand some wanting to minimize Munster here, but they haven't made the major mistakes, we were guilty of at the RDS. Their defence has been magnificent overall and the transition for the Zebo score was equal to anything achieved by the Scarlets last night.

This has been a bit of a hammering for Swansea and Ireland has secured some pride in so doing.

Sean


Munster were under very little pressure and did not face any innovative attacking. That was not true of last night. I see the final as a similar game to last night where I expect Munster to get 65-70% of the ball and the Scarlets will rely on counter attacks to score.

Munster's defence is likely to be better than Leinster's, but they seem to have less team speed.

Breakdown will be big, and a clear ref needed.


Plenty of pressure, pretty much all of it predictable and ponderous in imposition.
If the Scarlets operate on 30% of possession, against a team that can maul most any opposition off the park, then I imagine Munster would accept that split TBH.

A clear ref indeed and let's see what develops over the piece.

Sean

Munster will obviously start as favourites. How they never scored more against an inept Ospreys I'll never know. The score IMHO flattered Ospreys.


Sat May 20, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2282
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
BigRed wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Abertawe Leinster wrote:
I can understand some wanting to minimize Munster here, but they haven't made the major mistakes, we were guilty of at the RDS. Their defence has been magnificent overall and the transition for the Zebo score was equal to anything achieved by the Scarlets last night.

This has been a bit of a hammering for Swansea and Ireland has secured some pride in so doing.

Sean


Munster were under very little pressure and did not face any innovative attacking. That was not true of last night. I see the final as a similar game to last night where I expect Munster to get 65-70% of the ball and the Scarlets will rely on counter attacks to score.

Munster's defence is likely to be better than Leinster's, but they seem to have less team speed.

Breakdown will be big, and a clear ref needed.


Plenty of pressure, pretty much all of it predictable and ponderous in imposition.
If the Scarlets operate on 30% of possession, against a team that can maul most any opposition off the park, then I imagine Munster would accept that split TBH.

A clear ref indeed and let's see what develops over the piece.

Sean

Munster will obviously start as favourites.


Why? They may have ended further up the league (and in Europe), but the way the Scarlets played last night was very promising. Their scrum will be more solid than the Ospreys one was, and their attack more fluid.


Sat May 20, 2017 11:46 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 2282
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
Anyway, it was once again the Ospreys scrum that turned out to be their major Achilles heel - they need to recruit some new good props and fast! Had it not been for this factor, I think Ospreys could have actually won it, or (more realistically) at least lost much more narrowly.


Sat May 20, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am
Posts: 5616
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
najbritcol wrote:
Anyway, it was once again the Ospreys scrum that turned out to be their major Achilles heel - they need to recruit some new good props and fast! Had it not been for this factor, I think Ospreys could have actually won it, or (more realistically) at least lost much more narrowly.

Ospreys props can improve, Nicky Smith only 22 very young for a prop and Rhodri Jones only 25 still has a few years to go to his prime.
That's not where the problem for next year arises. The main problem is coaching. Take Dan Evans for example, every time he kicked the ball yesterday it came back with interest from Simon Zebo. He did the same against Treviso with humiliating effect. Either he doesn't trust his team mates to run with the ball or there is something wrong with the team coaching. Dan is a naturally gifted attacking full back, didn't see him make one attacking run the whole game yesterday.


Sun May 21, 2017 10:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 9512
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
Conservative no risk safe defence orientated rugby. The Ospreys looked as if they were on the backfoot all the game. They have the talent, but sadly no gameplan. Their game has its flaws, unfortunately these flaws are being optimised by teams and ignored by the coaches.

Surely Tandy and Gruff have to go. Holly went for less, they have gone backwards in two years with the same players. You can't rely on AWJ all the time. This isn't the Ospreys culture.

_________________
We dive for pearls in the ocean and ignore the jewels within - me


Sun May 21, 2017 10:54 am
Profile
Regional Junior Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 pm
Posts: 132
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
The problem Ospreys have is the same as Wales. We do not have the players who can attack and breakdown defences (Clueless as others have said) and the other similarity is the ability to lose the ball on our put in or throw in when working hard to get into the opposition 22! Did this more than a few times last night.
AWJ stated the same on the BBC website today.


Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 59993
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
najbritcol wrote:
Anyway, it was once again the Ospreys scrum that turned out to be their major Achilles heel - they need to recruit some new good props and fast! Had it not been for this factor, I think Ospreys could have actually won it, or (more realistically) at least lost much more narrowly.


They were beaten in every facet of the game, you are in danger of becoming delusional in support of your thesis.

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Sun May 21, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3327
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Anyway, it was once again the Ospreys scrum that turned out to be their major Achilles heel - they need to recruit some new good props and fast! Had it not been for this factor, I think Ospreys could have actually won it, or (more realistically) at least lost much more narrowly.


They were beaten in every facet of the game, you are in danger of becoming delusional in support of your thesis.


Agree with this... the scrum didn't help but ospreys were outplayed in so many aspects of play. Leonard was a disaster and I have seen articulated lorries turn quicker than those two centres

Very limited game plan and Munster were the less worse of two pretty average teams


Sun May 21, 2017 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:28 pm
Posts: 10911
Location: Plymouth
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
The ospreys midfield is horrendous - take completely still, jumping shimmy dummy, ignore overlap, jumping shimmy dummy, ignore runner cutting a line, jumping shimmy dummy run across pitch removing any space from the backs and away from forwards, jumping shimmy dummy, take contact lose ball.

Add that to Rhys Webb when he dawdles to the breakdown whose thought pattern is like - Rhys Webb Rhys Webb, can Rhys Webb run, is there a gap for Rhys Webb to run into, oh no the ref is calling for Rhys Webb to use it, what does Rhys Webb do, Rhys Webb doesn't know, there was no gap for Rhys Webb to run into, shovel it to someone, anyone and then see if there is anywhere for Rhys Webb to run.

You can say what you like about the basic and simplistic nature and relative theoretical ability to nullify it, but 'Gatland' ball but at least provides a game plan which provides easy direction and naturally creates space. The OSpreys 'game plan' is more akin to watching your third team that's only just met chuck the ball about just for a game sake on a Saturday afternoon

_________________
Just for one moment I thought I'd found my way, then destiny unfolded, and I watched it slip away


Sun May 21, 2017 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 pm
Posts: 9512
Post Re: Munster v Ospreys
One of the standout things for me is the Ospreys radical belief that they have to score tries all the time. Many times when they are in the opponents 25m they could easily get the three from a drop goal or go for penalties. But its this obsession with scoring tries that is their downfall when there are other options.

I've just read the WM article summing up their season and frankly it brings it home how much of a failure it is for them going from beating every team in the european campaign then losing to a poor Stade team on the day (who have improved), getting in the top four, getting walloped by the Blues and Scarlets and going out with a whimper.

I said this last season, the same time, I cannot see any justification for Tandy and co staying. Surely this is the writing on the wall for them. To go the whole season and then fall so badly when it comes to winning silverware is very concerning. Their season has been all for nothing.

_________________
We dive for pearls in the ocean and ignore the jewels within - me


Sun May 21, 2017 8:58 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: