It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Judgement Day 
Schools District Player

Post Re: Judgement Day
Fids the Blindside wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:
21 - 16 lucky win, hardly a Pro 12 winning outfit performance.
Looking for pluses out of that game.
Hmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmm our scrum was good. :D

The blues were average. The Ospreys are crap.
Regional rugby is like watching paint dry - Fact :thumbup:

The Welsh 'derby' games are:

dogshit

Some so one sided they are not watchable

Once in a while you get a game

i was at the liberty the other week, i spent most of the game buying stuff off amazon. Held an ospreys season for 6 years. No more its the same old shite match by match.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TrueGrit wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:
21 - 16 lucky win, hardly a Pro 12 winning outfit performance.
Looking for pluses out of that game.
Hmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmm our scrum was good. :D

The blues were average. The Ospreys are crap.
Regional rugby is like watching paint dry - Fact :thumbup:

The Welsh 'derby' games are:

dogshit

Some so one sided they are not watchable

Once in a while you get a game

i was at the liberty the other week, i spent most of the game buying stuff off amazon. Held an ospreys season for 6 years. No more its the same old shite match by match.

Well what do you expect when we trash our really good players so they move on to places and teams where they are appreciated.
Priestland, Hook, Henson, Phillips, Peel to name a few. We've run them into the ground, we (Scarlets) even booed Priestland every time he got the ball. I'm sorry we (the public) are to blame. Whenever we get a really good player, the minute he make one mistake and doesn't come up to our high expectations, we turn against them. Yet we persevere with the mediocre, that why we have mediocre performances.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

I was there today. I really expected much better from the Ospreys - after the Treviso fiasco, they were steadily improving again, but this is a major setback. Full kudos to the Blues, however, for taking their chances - they seem a better team when both Anscombe and Nick Williams are around. As for the second match, the first half was utterly appalling by both sides, but it did get somewhat better in the second half once the Scarlets finally woke up and learnt to run with the ball rather than kick it away all the time. What was especially telling in both matches was how both West Wales teams did noticeably improve with the second half substitutions, most notably at scrum-half, though of course in the Ospreys' case it was too late.

Btw, not all Welsh derby matches are shit - last season's Boxing Day derby at Parc y Scarlets was exciting and good quality, as were both matches in last year's Judgement Day (though the first half of that Blues v Ospreys match was pretty turgid too).

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
I was there today. I really expected much better from the Ospreys - after the Treviso fiasco, they were steadily improving again, but this is a major setback. Full kudos to the Blues, however, for taking their chances - they seem a better team when both Anscombe and Nick Williams are around. As for the second match, the first half was utterly appalling by both sides, but it did get somewhat better in the second half once the Scarlets finally woke up and learnt to run with the ball rather than kick it away all the time. What was especially telling in both matches was how both West Wales teams did noticeably improve with the second half substitutions, most notably at scrum-half, though of course in the Ospreys' case it was too late.

Btw, not all Welsh derby matches are shit - last season's Boxing Day derby at Parc y Scarlets was exciting and good quality, as were both matches in last year's Judgement Day (though the first half of that Blues v Ospreys match was pretty turgid too).

Quite a few reputations are in tatters after Judgement Day, notably scrumhalves but they were not the only ones.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:55 am
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

BigRed wrote:
Well what do you expect when we trash our really good players so they move on to places and teams where they are appreciated. Priestland, Hook, Henson, Phillips, Peel to name a few. We've run them into the ground, we (Scarlets) even booed Priestland every time he got the ball.

Some of the players you mention have been offered lucrative contracts sponsored by high quality companies who churn
money into their organisations. It's the money which has lured them. French rugby supporters are the worst but they still get on with it. I have never in my times of support left a game early or dis-ripspect player and there are many a true rugby fans which never do that.

BigRed wrote:
I'm sorry we (the public) are to blame. Whenever we get a really good player, the minute he make one mistake and doesn't come up to our high expectations, we turn against them. Yet we persevere with the mediocre, that why we have mediocre performances.

Mediocrity is always amongst team sports not just rugby, especially within rugby in Wales. I've seem it at grass roots level and elements of it are higher up the chain. This is why we hear the same old phrase " no strength in depth mun " it's just a mask to cover up ones lack of knowledge. There are many good players out there in Wales who are not the finished article and their game hasn't been developed which was highlighted on Scrum V. This is sometimes due to cliques which form with organisations where the good worker usually never gets on. I think in English rugby you don't get this happening so much

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail

TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Well what do you expect when we trash our really good players so they move on to places and teams where they are appreciated. Priestland, Hook, Henson, Phillips, Peel to name a few. We've run them into the ground, we (Scarlets) even booed Priestland every time he got the ball.

Some of the players you mention have been offered lucrative contracts sponsored by high quality companies who churn
money into their organisations. It's the money which has lured them. French rugby supporters are the worst but they still get on with it. I have never in my times of support left a game early or dis-ripspect player and there are many a true rugby fans which never do that.

BigRed wrote:
I'm sorry we (the public) are to blame. Whenever we get a really good player, the minute he make one mistake and doesn't come up to our high expectations, we turn against them. Yet we persevere with the mediocre, that why we have mediocre performances.

Mediocrity is always amongst team sports not just rugby, especially within rugby in Wales. I've seem it at grass roots level and elements of it are higher up the chain. This is why we hear the same old phrase " no strength in depth mun " it's just a mask to cover up ones lack of knowledge. There are many good players out there in Wales who are not the finished article and their game hasn't been developed which was highlighted on Scrum V. This is sometimes due to cliques which form with organisations where the good worker usually never gets on. I think in English rugby you don't get this happening so much

Good points, but still (1) English rugby is unrivalled when it comes to wealth, resources and most of all player numbers and (2) Welsh under-20's have proven to be reasonably formidable in recent years, so it isn't like the players in Wales aren't there.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

najbritcol wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:

BigRed wrote:

Good points, but still (1) English rugby is unrivalled when it comes to wealth, resources and most of all player numbers and (2) Welsh under-20's have proven to be reasonably formidable in recent years, so it isn't like the players in Wales aren't there.

Yes I agree. This is more than likely why we are not involved with England in a domestic competition. We complain about Italian clubs not up to the mark. I'm afraid that speaks for us aswell.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

najbritcol wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:

BigRed wrote:

Yes I agree. This is more than likely why we are not involved with England in a domestic competition. We complain about Italian clubs not up to the mark. I'm afraid that speaks for us aswell.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:

BigRed wrote:

You are right of course, there players are there. The last 4 or 5 years has seen some very good performances by our U20's.
There were a number of them on display on Judgement Day. Although Llanelli came out on top by virtue of a yellow card to Dragons, I was very impressed with some of those youngsters. Their backline looked sharp on attack and tigerish on defense.
I have said above in another post several reputations were left in tatters on JD but not so with a number of youngsters making a claim for the summer tour. We could see more than a few youngsters joining their former team mates, our four props, in the Wales team on tour. However, one or two of our front three may just make the Lions tour. Sam is fast getting back to his best and Owens and Evans both have good engines and are capable of putting in 80 minutes of all out action.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail

TrueGrit wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
TrueGrit wrote:
BigRed wrote:

BigRed wrote:

Apart from the Dragons, none of the regions are comparable to Treviso and Zebre for goodness sake, however distant they may also be from the likes of Saracens and Leinster.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Quote:
Apart from the Dragons, none of the regions are comparable to Treviso and Zebre for goodness sake, however distant they may also be from the likes of Saracens and Leinster.

If the WRU takes over the Dragons and improves the grounds facilities so they are not having to play in a water logged pitch, what will that do for Dragons as a team?
I, personally, thought they looked pretty good against Llanelli on JD, and may have been a little unlucky not to have won.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Quote:

If the WRU takes over the Dragons and improves the grounds facilities so they are not having to play in a water logged pitch, what will that do for Dragons as a team?
I, personally, thought they looked pretty good against Llanelli on JD, and may have been a little unlucky not to have won.

I would agree. But they have may unlucky games and don't win many.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Cymru am byth wrote:
BigRed wrote:
Quote:

I would agree. But they have may unlucky games and don't win many.

The Dragons have not been a genuinely competitive team ever since Mike Ruddock left. That said, like most teams they are somewhat more formidable at home than away - though in their case it mostly means losing narrowly rather than actually winning.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail

I had planned to watch both games on the TV this weekend, and was quite looking forward to it. The Blues - Ospreys match I stayed with firstly because I enjoyed the commitment of the blues players, it was good to see a team wanting to play and to win, but mainly I was watching for the comedy value, in the Ospreys performance.

As far as the Scarlets, Dragons went, I could only manage about 20 minutes in the first half, then had to give up, it was awful

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:22 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

najbritcol wrote:

But the trouble is the English clubs still don't want us in their domestic, no matter how hard we try!

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next